[TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

[TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

Post by DocAce » Tue, 17. Jan 23, 13:14

General Information
With 6.00 we are introducing Jolt, a new physics system that will impact gameplay in a significant way. Jolt impacts Collision Detection, Raycasts (Bullets, Lens Flares, and more), Station Generation and also First Person Movement. Since this is a major change we would like players to report their experience related to Jolt and ask to write feedback and report issues in this topic.

To avoid this topic to get unreadable we ask that you avoid debates or general discussions about the feature and limit the postings to feedback and bug reports.

Test Information:
  • Collision avoidance and object impact, clipping through objects should not be possible.
  • Pathing by both NPC and Autopilot. Also by player when setting "collision avoidance" is set to on.
  • Feedback on station building both by players and NPCs.
  • Feedback when walking around on ships, stations and also performing space walks in space suit.
  • General feedback on gameplay impact or lack thereof.
  • Since many stories also include special locations would be good to get feedback on them too.

Reported:
Collision depth not correct Teladi L biome (signal leaks cannot be scanned)
Capital ships flies through Kha'ak Installation (Save) - RES
Falling through station textures - RES
Docking drones moving erratically.
6.0 beta 1 - Ship stuck in station - RES
Clipped into the TEL Teladianium Foundry and getting stuck there - RES
Clipping through the docking pad at the space station during the docking animation
3 different Guillemot Vanguards are completely stuck undocking on a Zeus carrier

Known Issues (6.00 Beta 1):
  • Some characters have incomplete collision bodies and can not be selected by pointing at certain limbs
  • NPCs walking up ladder of Kukri jump in position halfway through animation
  • Hitting small asteroids with bullets gives them excessive spin
  • Collision damage is too low
  • Certain large stations may have elements that lack collision - mostly surface elements like turrets, but possibly even modules
  • Space suits collide too easily in very narrow spaces like airlocks
  • Entering the space suit from a smaller ship while in relative movement with a capital ship can stop player controls for too long
  • Collisions with fast moving ships have an exaggerated effect
  • Ships sometimes have problems reaching docks on capital ships
  • Paranid player characters have issues walking in narrow spaces like ship cockpits - crouching helps
  • M Ships have not been Jolted yet and as such can have issues.

Thank you for your time and feedback, its much appreciated.

Old Drullo321
x4

Re: [TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

Post by Old Drullo321 » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:06

Feedback when walking around on ships, stations and also performing space walks in space suit.
When trying to teleport to my HQ via "Rightclick->Teleport" to OR teleporting to a currently landed ship (e.g. a M miner where you can't instantly jump off), in both cases every time I fall through the floor where I was placed upon teleporting. This didn't happen on every teleportation target i tried (NPC stations, other player stations or ships). I never encountered this specific issue previous to Beta 6.00 1.

While this was repeatable under any circumstances in the currently loaded game, going back to the main menu and loading the same savegame again (at least temporarily) fixed this issue.

Savegame Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k27Hgg ... sp=sharing

Old Drullo321
x4

[Beta 6.00 1] Teleporting to HQ -> Falling through floor (repeatable procedure)

Post by Old Drullo321 » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 20:16

Description:

Regarding Jolt physics and my first answer there, I know found a repeatable way to force this issue, falling through the floor at my HQ (at least on my computer?):

Start the game normally
Load the savegame
When loading counter starts, tab out
Wait for a while and tab into game when it is loaded
Open the map, then zoom out of the map to its maximum
Rightlick HQ (located in Memory of Profits) and teleport to
While teleporting, zoom in a bit and close the map before teleport is finished
When teleported to HQ i fall through the floor, every time i follow this exact procedure

Screenshot:

(Showing that i fell through the floor on HQ)

Savegame:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13fUqWl ... sp=sharing
(This isn't an excessive large HQ, just some docks, containers and S/M factories, FPS while walking on station ~80-90 FPS on my system and settings)
Last edited by Ketraar on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged with Jolt Topic

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 21:18

While making this report I noticed something unusual. When ramming another ship - S-Class Elite Vanguard into M-Class Nemesis Sentinel - the M-Class ship does not budge at all, despite the Elite being at Travel Drive speeds.

Note: I was attempting to ram the Bailed Nemesis out of danger due to ships trying to shoot the motionless Escape Pods that'd just left it.

I assume this is linked to the documented known issue "M Ships have not been Jolted yet and as such can have issues." but though it worth raising just in case it's not.

Azzotic
x4

Post by Azzotic » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 21:30

Collision avoidance and object impact, clipping through objects should not be possible.
Feedback from my attempts of forcing player impacts/collision's with Asteroids while flying, boosting, and travel-driving into them:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flying (Regular Engine Speed) - Ship = (Astrid) : All impacts/collisions with asteroids from all angles are smooth and the response of the ship to the impact is realistic without any full-clipping. I did encounter "slight" ship clipping in First Person View with the front of the Astrid while attempting to fly into asteroids at strange angles. (May be from collision avoidance)

Collision Avoidance when flying near any asteroid object works like a charm... tested flying back and fourth through asteroid fields and not only can you notice the avoidance taking place but it is very smooth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boosting (Boosted Engine Speed) - Ship = (Astrid) : All impacts/collisions even those with high speed direct impacts cause no clipping whatsoever and the ships reaction corresponds to the type of impact.

Collision Avoidance still working smoothly even when boosting to objects, near them, or into them.

Travel-Drive (Travel Engine Speed) - Ship = (Astrid) : All impacts/collisions even those with ludicrous speed direct impacts cause no clipping whatsoever and the ships reaction corresponds to the type of impact as well. No extreme spin cycle after an impact, nor any strange reaction. In some impact cases (over 12K m/s) the ship would make its initial impact with the target asteroid, and caused a type of pin-ball effect from the surrounding asteroid objects... again no clipping when making contact with objects after the initial impact and collision avoidance stepping in.

Collision Avoidance still works but of course its reaction is hindered by the high speed impacts

Types of Asteroids I tested Impacting: Ice, Unstable-Crystal, Ore, Silicon
A good start makes for an easy finish

Dr Reed
x4

[6.0 Beta 1] Wharf platform elevators are unstable.

Post by Dr Reed » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 23:14

The elevators that travel between the M ship class docking bays to the top floor of the Wharf where the Small docking pads are located have unstable floors.

When the Lift is travelling up if you jump a couple of times you will fall through the floor and land at the bottom of the shaft.
You need to then recall the lift to get out of the stuck position. When the elevator comes back you have to jump again to enter the lift but some times you can fall through the station floor.

If you jump when the lift is travelling down your character will bounce till the lift reaches the bottom.

Here's a save file at the top of a lift at a Teladi Wharf in Profit Center Alpha. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lde2bkenta6j5 ... ml.gz?dl=0

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 02:15

6.0 beta 1 - similar issues here as Old Drullo321 has been having :

Save game - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yox3fuvov7ka ... ml.gz?dl=0

DXDiag + Vulkaninfo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/da6rmtfis1ll5 ... 23.7z?dl=0

Save = Landed on my HQ in Scale plate green.
The save is just after transporting from the bridge of a Kuraokami, down to the dock, I have not stepped off the Kuraokami ramp at this point.

First time I landed here, after stepping on to the dock I kept repeatedly falling through space.
After reloading the game completely this stopped .. So I went for a wander around the station.

Went to my personal office, no problem.
Went to the science room, no problem.

Then I came back to the Kuraokami and as soon as the station teleport completes .. I keep falling through into space repeatedly again.

Your mileage may vary, but hopefully the save above if you travel around the station for a while you may come across similar instances of falling through into space.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 02:23

Forgot to include Config.xml ..

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
  <!-- graphic options -->
  <fullscreen>true</fullscreen>
  <borderless>false</borderless>
  <antialiasing>fxaa_low</antialiasing>
  <upmode>fsr_quality</upmode>
  <presentmode>mailbox</presentmode>
  <colorcorrection>0</colorcorrection>
  <gamma>1.00</gamma>
  <capturehq>false</capturehq>
  <gfxquality>0</gfxquality>
  <!-- high gfx preset -->
  <shaderquality>2</shaderquality>
  <shadows>0</shadows>
  <softshadows>true</softshadows>
  <ssao>1</ssao>
  <glow>1</glow>
  <lodfactor>0.50</lodfactor>
  <effectdistance>0.50</effectdistance>
  <distortion>true</distortion>
  <disableradar>false</disableradar>
  <radarquality>1</radarquality>
  <ssr>true</ssr>
  <ssrquality>low</ssrquality>
  <texturequality>medium</texturequality>
  <chromaticaberration>false</chromaticaberration>
  <volumetric>0</volumetric>
  <!-- sound options -->
  <nosound>false</nosound>
  <volumetotal>1.00</volumetotal>
  <volumemusic>0.80</volumemusic>
  <volumevoice>1.00</volumevoice>
  <volumeambient>1.00</volumeambient>
  <volumeui>1.00</volumeui>
  <volumeeffects>1.00</volumeeffects>
  <!-- game options -->
  <subtitles>true</subtitles>
  <autosave>false</autosave>
  <autoroll>false</autoroll>
  <toggleboost2>false</toggleboost2>
  <togglemouselook>false</togglemouselook>
  <rumbleintensity>1.00</rumbleintensity>
  <aimassist>1</aimassist>
  <collisionassist>true</collisionassist>
  <controlmodemessages>true</controlmodemessages>
  <radarmode>false</radarmode>
  <stopshipinmenu>false</stopshipinmenu>
  <forceshootatcursor>false</forceshootatcursor>
  <fpusecameraforward>false</fpusecameraforward>
  <separateRadar>true</separateRadar>
  <speaktargetname>true</speaktargetname>
  <autosaveintervalfactor>1.00</autosaveintervalfactor>
  <emergencyeject>true</emergencyeject>
  <mouseovertext>true</mouseovertext>
  <cockpitcamerascale>1.00</cockpitcamerascale>
  <!-- input options -->
  <confinemouse>false</confinemouse>
  <gamepadmode>2</gamepadmode>
  <tobiimode>combined</tobiimode>
  <tobiianglefactor>1.00</tobiianglefactor>
  <tobiigazeanglefactor>0.40</tobiigazeanglefactor>
  <tobiipositionfactor>1.00</tobiipositionfactor>
  <tobiideadzoneangle>0.00</tobiideadzoneangle>
  <tobiideadzoneposition>0.00</tobiideadzoneposition>
  <tobiigazedeadzone>0.10</tobiigazedeadzone>
  <tobiifilterstrength>5</tobiifilterstrength>
  <tobiigazefilterstrength>30</tobiigazefilterstrength>
  <!-- online options -->
  <showvisitornames>false</showvisitornames>
  <highlightvisitors>true</highlightvisitors>
  <!-- privacy options -->
  <sendcrashreports>true</sendcrashreports>
  <!-- accessibility options -->
  <showsignalleakviz>true</showsignalleakviz>
  <showlongrangescanviz>true</showlongrangescanviz>
  <!-- modified settings -->
  <chardensity>0.50</chardensity>
  <trafficdensity>0.20</trafficdensity>
  <res_width>1360</res_width>
  <res_height>768</res_height>
  <compress>true</compress>
  <enemywarning_nearby>ui_notification_player_alert_12</enemywarning_nearby>
  <uiscale>1.1</uiscale>
  <pom>medium</pom>
</root>
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:17

Asgards with Nanotube and Slingshot modifications will start spinning if they hit each other on travel drive.
They are moving in formation to the same direction so the relative speed is low
See gif:https://gfycat.com/harmfulnimblediamondbackrattlesnake

Commissar0617

Re: [Beta 6.00 1] Teleporting to HQ -> Falling through floor (repeatable procedure)

Post by Commissar0617 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 05:45

Old Drullo321 wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 20:16
Description:

Regarding Jolt physics and my first answer there, I know found a repeatable way to force this issue, falling through the floor at my HQ (at least on my computer?):

Start the game normally
Load the savegame
When loading counter starts, tab out
Wait for a while and tab into game when it is loaded
Open the map, then zoom out of the map to its maximum
Rightlick HQ (located in Memory of Profits) and teleport to
While teleporting, zoom in a bit and close the map before teleport is finished
When teleported to HQ i fall through the floor, every time i follow this exact procedure

Screenshot:

(Showing that i fell through the floor on HQ)

Savegame:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13fUqWl ... sp=sharing
(This isn't an excessive large HQ, just some docks, containers and S/M factories, FPS while walking on station ~80-90 FPS on my system and settings)
i have this too. so far s/m buld modules and 3m6s luxury dock on all three of my shipyards

oddgit
x4

Post by oddgit » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 06:40

I have fallen through a few stations, and not just at the teleporter room, a few times just walking around looking for a npc to hire for an engineer need mission.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 10:02

When on the bridge of a rotating capital ship, the player will slide briefly if they move and stop moving.

save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODodnu ... sp=sharing

steps to reproduce:

-load
-tap w, a, s, or d.
-observe brief slide.
***modified***

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 16:44

I still observe ships doing some odd manoeuvres near and stations. For example, on a Basic ARG 6xS 1xM Dock, an M-Class Transporter just took off. It then proceeded to strafe to its right before fully clearing the dock. This resulted in it clipping the lip of the dock area and going into a spin. Despite this spin (roll) the ship then proceeded to fly off as if nothing had happened, all the while spinning quite fast.

I've observed other ships (S-Class) attempting to dock at numerous stations but getting the approach totally wrong. It appears to be the old "approach a dock from underneath" issue, rather than approaching from above. It was quite impressive to then observe the ship literally hugging - but not clipping through - the station model attempting to reach the dock. It failed and I jumped into the Pilot's seat in that particular example, as I was aboard as a passenger.

So, thus far, collisions are generally fairly solid-looking, and I've witness no clipping. Pathing however, which I assume is part of "Collision avoidance and object impact", is a little suspect at times, with the long-standing "approach from below" docking issue still being a problem. If the player is In Sector, it can take a VERY long time for a ship that gets stuck to actually dock, as it doesn't just cheat (aka clip) its way to the dock.

I'm literally just sat on a Station observing docking and pad approaches / exits.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 17:59

DocAce wrote:
Tue, 17. Jan 23, 13:14
M Ships have not been Jolted yet and as such can have issues.
I'm having all kinds of problems using M Ships, but I think it's because they're not implemented into Jolt, so I'll wait a little longer...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:00

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 16:44
Despite this spin (roll) the ship then proceeded to fly off as if nothing had happened, all the while spinning quite fast.
Can confirm that ships flying around indifferent to their facing is still very much a thing they do. As usual you can see it most often at gates and gate-like objects where they come through at speed and decide to change direction suddenly without making the effort to turn. Not sure if this physics system was meant to fix that, but I wish something would...
***modified***

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:02

Reproducible falling through floors - teleport to PHQ. Doesn't happen on new game PHQ, so wonder if it's modules or complexity of mine that do it.

Save: https://file.io/5VFQyeRJUa8B
DxDiag: https://file.io/zOV5KhrNFfva

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:11

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:00
Can confirm that ships flying around indifferent to their facing is still very much a thing they do. As usual you can see it most often at gates and gate-like objects where they come through at speed and decide to change direction suddenly without making the effort to turn. Not sure if this physics system was meant to fix that, but I wish something would...
This wasn't that particular issue, where a ship flies along a different vector to the one it's facing or instantly changes vector. This is something new. I've never seen an M-Class ship lift off of a pad but, rather than continue to rise before moving off, it strafed hard right, clipping the dock and getting into a spin around the traditional "roll" axis. Despite M-Class ships not being "jolted" yet, this isn't quite like anything I've ever seen before - and I hang around on docks watching ships a lot...I think I have a problem lol.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:19

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:11
This wasn't that particular issue, where a ship flies along a different vector to the one it's facing or instantly changes vector. This is something new. I've never seen an M-Class ship lift off of a pad but, rather than continue to rise before moving off, it strafed hard right, clipping the dock and getting into a spin around the traditional "roll" axis. Despite M-Class ships not being "jolted" yet, this isn't quite like anything I've ever seen before - and I hang around on docks watching ships a lot...I think I have a problem lol.
Admittedly the strafing part does sound new... ships rarely strafe much in my experience, let alone hard enough to bowl themselves over.
***modified***

Dragonboy31

Post by Dragonboy31 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:22

In My game I've had ships get stuck to the inside wall of an s/m fab, the ability the fly thru stations and docks. Bad Ai Pathfinding when trying to dock, m ships stopping my destroy from travel drive with ramming or shooting but by flying close.

GameBurrow
x4

Post by GameBurrow » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 20:46

I think I found a bug that is related to the Jolt Engine.
L and XL ships do not get along with asteroids anymore - they keep disabling travel drive instead of destroying them by driving through like pre 6.00. Autopilot also doesn't try to avoid them.

Also I just had an single asteroid (no more around) destroy Barbarossa engines & turret if autopilot flew through it.

My save also, if it helps somehow: https://we.tl/t-Frc5ahuRGS

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”