[Feedback][6.0 Beta 1] Cinematic Mode

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Meister_Lampe
x4

[Feedback][6.0 Beta 1] Cinematic Mode

Post by Meister_Lampe » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 23:00

This is so awesome, such a great idea!

But some suggestions to please consider:
1. If it is now possible to watch assets in other sectors, please let us use this and/or the external view (F3) on manually picked targets on the map - like right click -> watch.
2. It seems every videomessage is cancelling the cinematic mode -> please let us finally deactivate the annoying "Attack on station/ship - criminal record..." messages.

I know, that I am shooting them Split/Pirates in your sectors Mrs.Teladi... Just put another mark on the list without telling me - over and over :roll:

Old Drullo321
x4

Re: [Feedback][6.0 Beta 1] Cinematic Mode

Post by Old Drullo321 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:07

I really like this feature so far and tested it on several different savegames so far to have a look at the differences when using the live camera.

I noticed the following things using this mod on an advanced savegame (~1-2 days ingame playtime), in no particular order of interests:

1. Pressing F6 several times or pressing space does seem to both have the same effect, so it is a bit confusing why there is a double key binding for it.

2. While observing the player ship externally, i thought pressing Shift + H removes HUD aka livestream upper/lower black bars. Instead it visually removed the ship i was looking at. That doesn't seem the correct behaviour or again, the description seems misleading to me

3. Right upper corner description "Mode: player-container" seems like a technical description, and i don't know if there are other mods. Could be made more specific

4. I switched through the targets and the selection of views was rather tame, a little bit boring and sometimes even weird (for example, look at the screenshot provided below). I wish either the player has some options which targets are provided or more interesting footage is shown. I only was shown: player ship and player ship indoors, a couple of player owned traders flying arround, two or three TER NPC station views and a lone Xenon T beeing in the same sector the currently used playership was in. From the description / introduction of this feature I expected to observe to watch some epic battles (for example HOP vs PAR or ANT/ARD vs HOP in Second Contact Flashpoint). Nothing happened, even when universe was completely discovered and for the mentioned faction, those neighboring sectors had satellite coverage.

Other then the view mentioned points I really like the cinematography and visual presentation of this mode itself.

Screenshot:

JellyBlade
x4

[6.00 Beta 1] Cinematic Camera galaxy mode targeting unknown ships (and showing orders)

Post by JellyBlade » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:19

I am loving the new cinematic camera! It is fantastic, however I've noticed a large issue with the targets selected by galaxy mode.

After changing targets a few times, I noticed the camera targeted a Xenon K, which I thought was awesome at first.
However, after looking into it more, the camera selected a Xenon K that I had no knowledge of (no satellite coverage in-sector, no ships nearby)
Plus, it was showing the AI assignment the ship had, which normally would be impossible to see without doing a scan first.
This bug can definitely be used to find hidden enemy ships.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Enter cinematic camera mode (F6)
  2. Change the mode to "galaxy"
  3. Cycle through chosen targets a few times until you find a ship you should have no knowledge of, as seen below
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /image.png

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 06:08

Would love a camera that hovers over station modules - many are very detailed and gorgeous. This might need a setting like “prefer relaxing”, “prefer action”, or such, since it’s sharp contrast to following action.

Meister_Lampe
x4

Post by Meister_Lampe » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 09:56

Old Drullo321 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:07

1. Pressing F6 several times or pressing space does seem to both have the same effect, so it is a bit confusing why there is a double key binding for it.

3. Right upper corner description "Mode: player-container" seems like a technical description, and i don't know if there are other mods. Could be made more specific

I also thought the buttons do the same, but then I understood.
F6 changes the Modes (the technical description line): "player-container" -> "player-sector" -> "galaxy" -> "player-owned galaxy" (did I miss one?)

Pressing space while in "player-sector" mode shows you the next random target in your sector, while pressing space in "galaxy" can you show a target from everywhere.

Unfortunately, I never got it to show me "the action", even though there were enough battles going on.

Egosoft-Daniel
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Egosoft-Daniel » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 12:00

Old Drullo321 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:07
2. While observing the player ship externally, i thought pressing Shift + H removes HUD aka livestream upper/lower black bars. Instead it visually removed the ship i was looking at. That doesn't seem the correct behaviour or again, the description seems misleading to me

4. I switched through the targets and the selection of views was rather tame, a little bit boring and sometimes even weird (for example, look at the screenshot provided below). I wish either the player has some options which targets are provided or more interesting footage is shown. I only was shown: player ship and player ship indoors, a couple of player owned traders flying arround, two or three TER NPC station views and a lone Xenon T beeing in the same sector the currently used playership was in. From the description / introduction of this feature I expected to observe to watch some epic battles (for example HOP vs PAR or ANT/ARD vs HOP in Second Contact Flashpoint). Nothing happened, even when universe was completely discovered and for the mentioned faction, those neighboring sectors had satellite coverage.
First of all, thanks a lot for your feedback. The feature is still a work in progress and some improvements and fixes are already being worked on.

Regarding 2. I assume that you pressed Shift+H at the time the system decided to change the observed object and that this was just a conincidence. Normally this should work exactly as you expected.
Regarding 4. It could be related to the mode option that Meister_Lampe has already explained. Pressing F6 changes the range from the object the player is in -> objects in the sector of the player -> objects in all of the known sectors -> objects in all of the known sectors owned by the player

This is not very clearly communicated yet but will be improved upon in the future.

Egosoft-Daniel
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [6.00 Beta 1] Cinematic Camera galaxy mode targeting unknown ships (and showing orders)

Post by Egosoft-Daniel » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 12:39

JellyBlade wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:19
I am loving the new cinematic camera! It is fantastic, however I've noticed a large issue with the targets selected by galaxy mode.

After changing targets a few times, I noticed the camera targeted a Xenon K, which I thought was awesome at first.
However, after looking into it more, the camera selected a Xenon K that I had no knowledge of (no satellite coverage in-sector, no ships nearby)
Plus, it was showing the AI assignment the ship had, which normally would be impossible to see without doing a scan first.

Steps to reproduce:
  3. Cycle through chosen targets a few times until you find a ship you should have no knowledge of, as seen below
Thanks a lot for your report.
This is currently the intended behaviour as a wider pool of objects could lead to more interesting scenes being picked, especially for a fresh save.
However, as feature is still a work in progress, this might change in the future.

TVCD
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

[Feedback] Live Camera mode

Post by TVCD » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 12:42

Version 6.00 Beta 1 (r492332)

The Live Camera mode is a nice new feature that I like. :)
I noticed that when I press the space bar, my ship always seems to be shown from different angles. If I press F6, it changes to another ship. I realise it's not final yet. But I still wanted to mention it.

In Live Camera Mode, the flight controls seem to be disabled. When I look at my ship in Live View, it does not seem to execute any control commands.

In Live Camera Mode, ships fly through stations and objects despite collision avoidance. I was able to observe this twice, but the scene was not in the sector in which I was present.
"Manche Menschen können den Regen spüren, andere werden nur nass"

Egosoft-Daniel
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [Feedback] Live Camera mode

Post by Egosoft-Daniel » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:16

TVCD wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 12:42
Version 6.00 Beta 1 (r492332)

The Live Camera mode is a nice new feature that I like. :)
I noticed that when I press the space bar, my ship always seems to be shown from different angles. If I press F6, it changes to another ship. I realise it's not final yet. But I still wanted to mention it.

In Live Camera Mode, the flight controls seem to be disabled. When I look at my ship in Live View, it does not seem to execute any control commands.

In Live Camera Mode, ships fly through stations and objects despite collision avoidance. I was able to observe this twice, but the scene was not in the sector in which I was present.
Glad you're enjoying it already and thanks for your input.

Space bar does not really have a purpose in the player_container mode and it probably shouldn't be displayed.

Not being able to control your ship is intended as the constant camera changes would probably make it hard to control the ship. Autopilot or getting an actual pilot is currently the only way to see your ship in action.

The collision issue is something we are looking into.

Sima86

Post by Sima86 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:10

My friend had the issue, that he couldnt leave F6 mode.
He didnt know which key, because in the upper right corner its not mentioned.

So could you please add a hint for leaving this mode?
Hardware configuration in detail

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | RAM: Corsair 32GB@3600
MB: AORUS-M X570S | GPU: RTX 4070 Ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x

TVCD
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by TVCD » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:30

Sima86 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:10
So could you please add a hint for leaving this mode?
For me work it with ESC or F1-F3 key.
"Manche Menschen können den Regen spüren, andere werden nur nass"

LordIII3

Re: [6.00 Beta 1] Cinematic Camera galaxy mode targeting unknown ships (and showing orders)

Post by LordIII3 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:48

Egosoft-Daniel wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 12:39
JellyBlade wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 04:19

Steps to reproduce:
Thanks a lot for your report.
This is currently the intended behaviour as a wider pool of objects could lead to more interesting scenes being picked, especially for a fresh save.
However, as feature is still a work in progress, this might change in the future.
What about splitting the galaxy mode into known/visible galaxy and whole galaxy?
And if you don't want to know whether there are some xenon hidden dont use the all galaxy option. And I also want to state, that even when most players are seeing something they wouldn't know normaly, most could not Identify by the view shown, where exactly that ship is.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 07:53

Greetings gentle devs,

I just thought I'd give some feedback on this. I am REALLY enjoying the new Live Stream camera and think it's a great addition to the game. I did have a couple few small, maybe even slightly outlandish/pipedream suggestions I thought might be nice to have so long as they are feasible of course.

1. More information/data from encyclopedia to be shown at random.
I was thinking it would be nice to have an occasional text dropdown or image displaying information from the encyclopedia for aspects like the system we are in or looking at, trade amounts for that system (picture of graph or other info), info about the ship in view, info on the planets/stars in that sector and other cool tid-bits like that. Kind of hard to explain I know but I was just thinking it would be so cool to have random facts/information from the encyclopedia be displayed both as text and images while we are watching this view.

2. Have some filters we can apply!
I'd be in heaven if I could have a some VCR/CRT/Retro/Black and white filters to toggle on to make it look like it's coming from an old monitor screen or something although I am aware we can change some of these already in game settings. Just would like to be able to do it without having to go to options each time if it's not too much work or trouble to implement. It's a very minor thing and I can definitely live wihtout it! ;D But thought I may as well give you my full wishlist while I am here.

3.Themes for the black border.
Reminds me, maybe we could have a color theme or special borders? As it is, borders are just black. Would be neat if we could have special borders to maybe match our favorite factions like a yellow one with a Teladi icon and some Teladi artwork/ships/whatever. Or even simply an X4 border with X4 colorings and artwork. It's a stretch I know! ha

Anyways, aside from those requests. I am very much enjoying this new feature and really that's the main thing I wanted to come here for is just to let you guys know that I really really appreciate you doing this for us. I LOVE it and find myself using it all the time now. Thank you so much for this and all the other great work on 6.0. It's been a real treat to take part in this Beta and I am incredibly excited for when it goes live down the road. I'm very impressed with everything so far! <3
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 12:40

As Bernd talked about some details of the Cinematic Mode feature I'd like to suggest that you add a better GUI to this:

As each faction [you are having a high enough standing with] it would be awesome to have a GUI reflecting that in order to have more control:

Code: Select all

ARG streams
  - combat [between other factions and Kha'ak]
  - xenon [the main villain]
  - civil [sectors with dense traffic / high trading ship concentration / docking procedures on highly frequented stations]
ANT streams
  - combat [..]
  - xenon
  - civil
TEL streams
MIN streams
ZYA streams
FRF streams
TER streams
PIO streams
PAR streams
HOP streams
The way I fancy this GUI is like this: toggle-able (slight in on hover or something like that), having a search functionality would be awesome. This way we have a nice X-News feature and learn more about what's going on in our universe :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 12:42

Forgot to add - I'm refering to the new XLog dedicated to explain some details of 6.0 which went online just a few minutes ago: https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/e ... 337333984/

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:54

Good point from Reddit: cinematic camera can change OOS scenario to IS, which is sometimes strategic decision, but location already help with that, and additionally option to see “peace” or “enemy free” galaxy views might help too.

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:56

To combine my two comments: I imagine it as “show combat/action”, “show all”, “show scenery” (station modules, ship traffic, traders) type filter.

yimmasabi
x4

Post by yimmasabi » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 01:34

Cinematic is so nice mode,
My problem is accidently I press F5 while on external camera streams, that takes a lot of time,
but please use other keys to navigate in that mode, not F keys in that mode.
Arrows, Home End keys etc..

This mode can be used as emergency view too. If there is an attack to our ship for example, just press a key then you can see what is happening there in this mode.

Hoxalicious
x4

Post by Hoxalicious » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 09:19

This new camera mode is fantastic and a great addition to X4.

My only feedback is that the camera panning/orbit movement feels a little too fast and aggressive for that cinematic feel (at least during calm moments). I definitely feel like it should be a lot slower and the start/stop motion of the camerabe a lot smoother.

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 10:01

I must say that this is amazing feature that changes a lot for me. Now I'm barely using SETA cause its better to watch what's going on in the universe.

For more specific feedback:
- information about what objects You can lock camera on is missing (I suppose its all player owned and allies 27+rep but there's no info on that in game)
- it would be nice to have some control on camera angle like locking on certain angle.

Thanks again for delivering this feature. It's one of those that You didn't know You really need them until You get them :)
"Never listen to what people say. Just watch what they do."

Chrisjen Avasarala

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”