[Feedback]Defend Position Feedback

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: [Feedback]Defend Position Feedback

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 00:30

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Thu, 23. Feb 23, 02:44
Can we have all subordinates return to the carrier when we issue the command to the carrier "Stop Position Defence".

At the moment (6.0 Beta 4), I tried a Raptor with 40 Chimeras. The 40 are split into 4 groups 10 in each Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta, and each group is an "Attack with Commander" group.
Give the order "Start Position Defence", and then I get 4 group circles to place accordingly.

Problem is, if we now issue "Stop Position Defence", the fighter groups get renamed Alpha etcetera, but not what they originally were ie Alpha Attack, so they all need manually changing to groups we want them to be in again.
Also the group circles vanish from the map, but the fighters remain where they are with little defence icons, as if they are still on Position Defence and the group circles are still there, and do not return to the Raptor carrier.

I am guessing this may be a bit of a tall order in that you cant anticipate how the player may have given different orders while they were in Position Defence, but it just feels weird having given the "Stop Position Defence" command and all your fighters stay where they are and no longer have a useful grouping on the carrier which they originally had, so it all needs setup again.

Overall though, Position Defence is a good idea, I liked parking my Raptors in the middle of a few sectors where mining is happening and occasionally has visits from little Kha'ak groups .. Now they get swarmed by 40 Chimeras who return to their relative group circle areas on completion of stomping the Kha'ak :D

I havent seen any fighters return to the carrier for repairs, but thats probably due to none of them needing it yet.
6.0 Beta 6 = My issue is solved

After selecting .. CG Raptor Mod 1, and assigning Defend Position ..
X4 16_03_2023 23_13_23.png
Then dragging out the 4 (Groups of fighters) to needed positions ..
X4 16_03_2023 23_14_34.png
Then right click CG Raptor Mod 1, and selecting "Stop position defence" ..
X4 16_03_2023 23_16_00.png
The fighters then return to the carrier ..
X4 16_03_2023 23_17_15.png
And assume their previous role as Interceptors for the carrier.

:xenon:
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 06:11

Verified that B6 fixed my issue too!

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 11:17

Cool. Thanks both for confirming.

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 00:19

Have not tried [defend position] with the last update yet as i started over. But from what i could see with the beta 5 update its great.
Here is a suggestion to solve a number of fundamental problems mentioned by other people.

**for clarity, i will refer to (AO) as Area of operation, which includes the carrier (AO) and the [defend position] (AOs)

1. Separate [defend position] from [squadron role] dropdown, add two additional checkboxes for each squadron:
A) [defend position] when checked will act like before, only that a squadron keeps the role assigned
B) [reactive] -when checked together with [defend position] will stay in carrier formation undocked and only move to position when hostile is detected
-when checked without A, stay docked and undock to react to [squadron role]
#note, the behavior for [reactive]+[defend position] might need some tweaking in other areas (see point 4&5)

2. Add a [Scout] carrier role. This one might be a bit tricky but hear me out. A [Scout] squadron can have the same checkboxes, but the action is different.
A) Active [Scouts] patrol at the edge of the carriers view range by default, all assigned ships
B) when [defend position] is checked, one scout each will patrol the radius of active (AOs)
C) when [reactive] is checked, the scout will retreat (flee overwrite) on contact, and return to its job when overwrite is expired.

3. The options for each squad might be better placed in a field in the carrier menu at one place, instead of spreading them out and make management cumbersome and difficult to understand. Hence the (AO) circle should not need options that are not available in the carrier menu, but can have them in addition (including the role dropdown).

4. The tweaking mentioned in point 1 affect mainly [attack] and [defend] behavior.
[Attack] + [defend position] behaves like the usual position defense, attack all hostile.
[Defend] + [defend position] does only react to active fire on friendlies and neutral in the AO. Hostiles not engaging may pass unharmed.

5. The [defend] role always bothered me a bit in general. While it is clear for a regular wingman that he defends the commander, this limited behavior is problematic in many situations. I suggest to change it so it acts in the context of its current assignment.
A) a defending party may react to attacks on its commander and all other members of the battlegroup
B) a defending party may not react to attacks outside of the main (AO) of the carrier/commander

6. (optional) An option for the (AO) range, both the main (AO) and [defend position] (AO) could be unlocked based on a skill requirement for the carrier captain.

7. (optional) If we add space for more options for each [Squadron] we should consider allowing different formations relative to the commander. But i have multiple ways in my mind how this could be realised, so i just leave it there as an incentive to give it a thought, and why above suggestion can come in handy later on to expand functionality.

Cheers
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

FatalKeks
x4

Post by FatalKeks » Tue, 4. Apr 23, 09:16

This feature is great! I only wish for a setting, that allows me to set the target type per group. Because I don't want my M-ships to attack capital-ships.

E.g. a checkbox "attack capital-ships".

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”