[6.0 Beta 2] Malfunctioning follow command - WAI.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Gavrushka
x4

[6.0 Beta 2] Malfunctioning follow command - WAI.

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 06:26

I have a fleet of Corvettes (CerbVan) who are 'supposed' to be following a SCA destroyer in one of the Silent Witness sectors, but I noticed they were simply sat stationary near the gate. I teleported in, took the helm and flew a little way before relinquishing control back to the captain, giving them the command 'proceed with current orders', and they resumed following. - I teleported back out and, after a couple of minutes, they once again stopped. The follow command is still active, and there's no communication to suggest there's an issue, but the ships simply stop.

I did notice the first time I took control there was a (blue) minefield around the ship if that is any way relevant.

Save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoYsE1M89YrgcUA_nl ... w?e=SqkRME
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Re: [6.0 Beta 2] Malfunctioning follow command.

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 06:29

And it's worthy of note that the ship being followed moved into an undiscovered area of the map, so this may be by intent. (Although the route pathing remained, which contradicts the possible intent a little...)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 12:55

It is indeed behaving as intended. Your ships continue to follow their target but can't navigate into where their target went. They'll resume following if/when their target goes back into known space.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:59

j.harshaw wrote:
Thu, 2. Feb 23, 12:55
It is indeed behaving as intended. Your ships continue to follow their target but can't navigate into where their target went. They'll resume following if/when their target goes back into known space.
This of course makes sense, however, the frustrating thing here (from my own experience with this issue) is when faster ships get so far behind a slower target that they lose it in this way. I.e. if my ships had actually followed and kept following using the full ability of their drives, then they would never have lost the target ship.

I sometimes use fast scout ships to follow potential boarding targets. A small gap can open up when the target engages travel drive, but when the following ship simply does not engage its own travel drive in a timely manner, then it can get left behind. If target does traverse to a new sector, that's when it gets lost of course.

Not a huge issue and there are the valid reasons why a follow target might be lost. However, the following ship being less responsive than is ideal and being left behind - despite being faster - sounds like things aren't working quite as desired.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”