[Feedback] Miners seem to behave worse than in 5.1

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Pejot
x4

[Feedback] Miners seem to behave worse than in 5.1

Post by Pejot » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 16:58

After playing 6.0 beta for a while I see miners started to behave worse than on 5.1. They prefer far away sectors with high density even if no probes are placed which ends up in them being less effective. They were working fine in 5.1. Was there any change or am i imaginating things?

Also a suggestion do create separate blacklist option for mining and trading activities. So I capild restrict station miners without the need to edit all traders.
"Never listen to what people say. Just watch what they do."

Chrisjen Avasarala

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [Feedback] Miners seem to behave worse than in 5.1

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 18:22

There were no changes related to mining. All changes how they react to locations and probes was done in 5.00.

Stil it would have required a bit more information to look into besides "they behave worse" which is not very descriptive of what your expectation is compared to what they do.

MFG

Ketraar

Skydiver12

Post by Skydiver12 » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 18:34

5.1 was the same when I played it. Most likely your station managers leveled up which allows them to send miners further (which apparently a skilled manager believes is a good idea), so as your game progressed the miners appeared to get dumber.
The best way I found to deal with this is to restrict them using blacklist - make a trade activity rule restricting all sectors but pemit the ones you want them to mine in, then set the rule individually on each miner.
Some people would suggest to set the rule on the station but would not recommend it - you'll eventually forget about it, sobordinate a trader and then spend a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong with the trade. Or at least that's how this experiment worked for me. :)

Pejot
x4

Post by Pejot » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 19:49

I already did blacklisting as a workaround.

As for my expectations vs. How they behave.

Miner working for station should always take into account travel time.
For example:
Station manager 5 stars.
There are 2 spots for mining resources. One 5 sectors away with 5 stars and high density and one that is 1 sector away with 2 stars and medium density. Miner should choose the closer spot cause travel time to the one further away will cause his efficiency to drop to 1/3 of what he can do.

What they do right now is choose highest density spot as far as they can based on station managers lvl not looking at probes or travel time.
"Never listen to what people say. Just watch what they do."

Chrisjen Avasarala

Gabeux
x4

Post by Gabeux » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 02:24

On 6.0 Beta 2 New Save, I've started with a Kopis (M Miner), later on put a Mining Drill Mk2 on it and hired a pilot (1-2 stars). Setting it to Automine Local (Default Behavior) behaves pretty poorly both In-Sector or OOS:
The ship uses Travel Drive to the overall area it wants to mine in, maybe close to a probe, but then it slowburns towards the actual "mining area" or mining target. This makes mining take forever due to two issues:
1. Ship uses Travel Drive to the other side of the sector, even though there's acceptable ore close to it and the fact that the ship would take 10X+ to travel rather than mining right where it stands (a Kopis often gets full with a single asteroid)
2. The Ship slowburns to its actual mining area after reaching the overall target surrounding. This is horrid on a Kopis with MKI Engines.

When it comes to Managers and subordinates, no idea there as I haven't gotten there yet. But M Miners could definitely take some love. Same for L Miners in case they also do this.
I don't think their AI need to be as good as - or better - than the player, but the current behavior is rather baffling.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 08:51

Please provide saves demonstrating these things. We can't really guess from brief descriptions why things are happening, or whether those things are expected/intended.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”