[#537][6.0 Beta 3-RC1]Container Magnet problem on Capitals

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Sprengmeister
x4

[#537][6.0 Beta 3-RC1]Container Magnet problem on Capitals

Post by Sprengmeister » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 10:13

Yesterday, I´ve played both beta 2 and 3 while I used my Syn to clear out Fighters at Xenon and Vigour space.
During and after Battles, I use the Container Magnet to grab all the "Loot".

Now with the new beta 3 not only is the Magnet extremly weak (It takes about 20-30 seconds, continuously pressing "o" to pull stuff from 5-7 km to my Ship),
but also when the Loot touches the Hull, it bounces of off it, going back and forth, without getting picked up.

I didn´t test this with other Capitals yet, so additional Testing might be needed.

I can work arround this issue by stopping the Magnet and turning it back on 2-3 sec later. That way some of the "Strugglers" get picked up and I need to repeat it a few times for everything getting picked up.
In addition i´ve noticed that on some areas on the Hull of the Syn, Stuff get almost never picked up and bounces (mainly left and right front, which seem to be emitting the magnetic pull, therefore the bouncing).

I can reproduce this small Bug at will on different Saves and Situations, it happens all the Time.

I can post a save if necessary, but I would be surprised, if its´s not the same for everybody.

Thanks for all the effort.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [6.0 Beta 3]Container Magnet problem on Capitals

Post by CBJ » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 10:22

Sprengmeister wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 10:13
I can post a save if necessary, but I would be surprised, if its´s not the same for everybody.
Please don't wait to be asked. It's always helpful to have a save that shows the problem rather than having to create a scenario to reproduce it, and the assumption that it happens for everyone is not always accurate.

Sprengmeister
x4

Post by Sprengmeister » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 11:20

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I did more Testing with an Odysseus Vanguard
I´ve made some good testing saves, just press the button for the Container Magnet and watch it happen.

Oddy:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-iK9ty ... sp=sharing

Syn:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oxC3Re ... sp=sharing
the first two lootpieces from the back get picked up, the rest bounces

I stopped the time for the Syn scenario for the 7,7 km lootpieces just in front, it takes 1 min 18 sec to touch the hull.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 12:54

I tried your tests and even though my PC is probably one of the oldest and smallest in this forum I found the time it takes to attract crates form >1 to 2Km the same as I do with my S ship (I would never use a Destroyer to collect crates, when I am on one I always have my personal fast S ship for such cases).

In general, attracting crates is slower in BETA 3 than it was in BETA 2, or in all the previous versions of the game. This is probably due to the new collision boxes, their speed had to be tuned down or else they would just bounce or pass throught the ship. I suppose we'll have to learn to live with that and not expect to attract crates from 5km afar any more.

I personally prefer it to the alternative...

ZeroAffex
x4

[6.0 Beta 3][Feedback] Container Magnet Radius

Post by ZeroAffex » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 06:53

Greetings once again gentle devs,

This is my last post of the night and just wanted to say that I am not enjoying the new changes to the Container Magnet although it could be to changes to the containers themselves, I don't like. I really thought Beta 2 was closer to how I envisioned the Container Magnet to work aside from the hassle using it on S ships posed. I was really enjoying the size in which my L ships were able to collect loot and made that whole experience so much more streamlined and less tedious I found.

Now in B3, the radius seems even smaller than before 6.0 for my L ships. I don't know if I just got spoiled or what but seems like I need to nearly fly on top of them to pick things up with an L ship which is was closer to the M and even S ships before. Also, I am having much more trouble hauling loot into my L ships than before as they are bouncing around a lot more, especially with LT's. In Beta 2, the magnet was more powerful and most of the loot was flying in for me no problem. Now it's much weaker or the mass of the objects is much more and they don't have the momentum and are whacking the sides of the ship. The Behemoth especially is troublesome now with these adjustments with her large arms protruding over the container intake. Goes for hauling in our Laser Towers, it's just much harder to do now. I also did some testing with my M Split Cobra and was having similar issues that I wasn't experiencing prior to Beta 3. That and the radius for loot is now closer to what S ships used to be and I need to basically be on top of the loot with my ship.

I get that the S ships were problematic and those affected by them the worst were less experienced pilots and you had to address that as it was frustrating a lot of players but for myself, I was able to get around it by feathering the button and positioning my intake towards the loot as it was coming towards me. It wasn't perfect but it worked for me. And if I had a lot of stuff to pick up, I'd simply get into an L ship which made quick work of it so I could get back to doing much more fun activities. But now it seems like the M/L ships much much worse and the S ships are good. If I had to choose, I'd rather it go back to being worse for S ships and better for M/L ships just because I don't go around picking up loot almost ever in my S ships because it's just too time consuming for my preference. But I am just one person of many, and I don't speak for everyone obviously.

I am just leaving my feedback that I personally am not enjoying the new changes to how we are picking up loot now and would prefer the previous build over the current one if I had to choose. While it wasn't perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed being able to pick up containers and LT's easier with my M/L ships as I spend the bulk of my time in those. That's all.

Off to bed. Thanks for everything devs. I can sing praise forever about how much joy you all brought into my gloomy life and just how impressed I am with your games and all the incredible things you guys do (and mostly do just that ha) You guys are my heroes, I mean it. Love you guys! Take care and best of luck on your future endeavors with 6.0 and beyond! Looking forward to seeing what you do next for us!

tl;dr
Lootmagnet pull loot at a too low speed (~100 m/s, thats 100 seconds for 10 km radius of L-Ships)
Lootcontainer often bouncing ships hull instead of beeing collected.

-ZA
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

af_2017
x4

Re: [#537][6.0 Beta 3]Container Magnet problem on Capitals

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 13:30

I am not happy with the magnet either.
I can observe same issues: small radius, low approach speed, bouncing off.
I tested Syn only, can't say anything about other L/XL ships, sorry for that.

I understand that's not elaboration to the issue.
It's rather feedback: current state of the magnet barely can be acceptable as quality solution.
Thank you!
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 19:21

When I used it in 6.0 b3 with an Asgard, several containers got dragged towards the hull and got stuck on the hull without being collected.

Katorone
x4

Post by Katorone » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 04:29

6.0 Beta 4
Here's another save, Raptor is stationed at an accelerator of a Xenon sector. Containers often bump off the hull. Best seen in external view mode, since the Raptor is too large to see the container icons from the cockpit.

Jangulorr
x4

Post by Jangulorr » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 15:58

af_2017 wrote:
Tue, 14. Feb 23, 13:30
I am not happy with the magnet either.
I can observe same issues: small radius, low approach speed, bouncing off.
I tested Syn only, can't say anything about other L/XL ships, sorry for that.

I understand that's not elaboration to the issue.
It's rather feedback: current state of the magnet barely can be acceptable as quality solution.
Thank you!
I can confirm that this has happened with ALL the Odysseus and the Atlas.

It was better pre-BETA. However, the changes for the L / XL were better Beta 6.2 and went to crap 6.3 when they modified it due to the small ships having issues. It really should attract based on ship hull size, not an overall increase / decrease as a whole. Any 'as a whole' changes should be looked at with great scrutiny. As ... 'as a whole' pizza was the largest consumed food good in America at one time ... but we all don't like the same pizza toppings or crust ... so 'as a whole' you won't please people with a generic fix or for that matter pizza recipe. Things don't work that way. EVER!

Katorone
x4

Post by Katorone » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 17:34

I don't consider the speed to be a bug personally. There's a tactical decision to make; slow down to loot, or keep moving. Chassis mods could tailor how the loot beam works, though this puts us in the realm of suggestions and not bug reporting.

Axeface
x4

[RC1] Holding down 'loot scoop' causes boxes to repeatedly bounce off hull.

Post by Axeface » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 16:29

This issue makes scooping up large amounts of loot much more annoying than it needs to be.
If you hold down the loot scoop button the boxes will hit your hull and bounce away a tiny bit and then hit again, sometimes this only happens a couple of times other times it happens for a while.
If you pulse the loot scoop and then stop holding it down - items that already have the velocity to hit your hull will be scooped up cleanly.
Expectation - Holding down the scoop should be just as effective as pulsing it for picking up crates. But holding it down causes issues and makes it annoying.

Save - load, hold down loot scoop, watch boxes bounce off hull a bit. Pusle loot scoop when some are near and notice they get picked up cleanly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5wbjk5mvc7uy ... ml.gz?dl=0
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Fri, 31. Mar 23, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in title

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”