Am able to hold 60fps @4K 2xMSAA w. 3090 and 5900X - amazing

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

mattaw

Am able to hold 60fps @4K 2xMSAA w. 3090 and 5900X - amazing

Post by mattaw » Thu, 16. Mar 23, 19:28

Folks, you have done it! In asteroids & complex stations particularly my FPS would tank (I am guessing the collision detection computation limitation that Jolt is better at?).

I can hold 60fps at 3840 x 2160 w. vsync on with my RTX3090 and AMD 5900X.

Thanks so much, this game was awesome before but I kinda dropped out of the realism when the FPS dropped, so that is now gone!

Scoob
x4

Re: Am able to hold 60fps @4K 2xMSAA w. 3090 and 5900X - amazing

Post by Scoob » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:41

That's good news. I've noticed that larger stations and large numbers of ships flying around are generally pretty solid. I've even loaded up some 100+ day saves that are really busy, and performance remains good. I have a 3900X - so a bit slower than your 5900X and a 3070, but only run at 1440p. Holding 60fps (what I've limited the game to) is my goal.

During general play, flying around etc. - though not on the map of course - I can hold a steady 60fps more reliably. Beta 4 was great, Beta 5 had a bit of wobble and I've not enough time in Beta 6 yet to see if things are much different. However, for me, it's when a larger fire fight breaks out that I still see dips in performance. I don't know how much Jolt is involved in tracking projectiles and impacts, things did seem markedly better in Beta 4 certainly, but this is still where things will be at there worst.

Still, some fairly solid improvements for general gameplay, it's just those larger fire fights that sees things dip below 60 for me. Usually stays above 30 though.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 07:22

Eh, new games are fine, but I am struggling to hit 40 in 4k on a really old save (3090ti/5950x).

Pimpace
x4

Post by Pimpace » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 09:46

Yeah, even an RTX 3070 can do around 60 FPS, but what if you open the map? Bamm... 20-30 FPS :(

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 11:32

The map is weird, I don't quite understand what's so demanding about it. Well, it seems that it's not demanding in the traditional sense in that CPU and GPU usage don't appear to spike or anything when I open it. I'd suggest that 30 fps or so is "ok" for the map screen - not like quick reactions are needed in it - but it is odd how it performs. I can never figure out why, sometimes, I open it and fps remains at 60, yet most of the time it does not. I cannot identify what exactly is different that opening the map this time does not have a huge fps hit - yet it's equally as busy as usual.

My biggest wish regarding performance is that larger battles ran better. A 30 fps situation is ok on the map and ok, if no ideal, when directing a larger battle, but it totally excludes the option of getting involved in a Fighter or Corvette yourself, the fps is too low to be comfortable (gives me eye strain and a headache quite quickly) and the weapon tracking seems to go screwy, with shots missing targets far more often then when fps is steady at 60 or more.

Things have certainly improved, with Beta 4 being better overall that Beta 5, not had enough time in Beta 6 yet to see if anything is different. But it'd be great if Jolt allowed for smoother performance during larger battles, cos larger battles are great fun to watch currently, but I'd like to participate in a Fighter or Corvette sometime.

Note: there are some scripted (mission-related) larger battle scenes in the game, and this can prove problematic. I had to run away during one of the Terran game-start missions as the weapons on my Kukri simply would not hit ANY of the Xenon Fighters - yet they could hit me fine - due to poor fps. It's like low fps de-syncs the weapon tracking, so shots (even with really fast bullets) miss all the time. Under AI control, low-fps doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”