Modified tag

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Snake Sanke
x3

Modified tag

Post by Snake Sanke » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 18:02

Modified warning and tag as I entered Neptune for the first time in the mission “Maintenance Duty”
Mate, this Dolphin wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Modified tag

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 18:23

You've not provided any of the information requested at the top of the forum.

That said, this is not a new issue, but it's also not one we've been able to reproduce. Try excluding the game folder from your AV software's live scanning. It's possible that the AV software prevented the reading of a file, resulting in the game being unable to verify that it was unmodified.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 02:49

For about 4 day game i got 'modified' about 20 or more times.
No visible correlation to anything, no incorrect game files, no av software.
Also, sometimes game become modified without any warnings and everything looks fine till game restart. On restart many last saves marked as modified.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 10:19

You've not really provided any information that we could use to help you. Start with a DXDiag and vulkaninfo, as requested at the top of the forum. You also need to be more precise about what you mean by "marked as modified". If they are marked as modified in the menu then that can only happen if they were already modified when they were saved, and that in turn can only happen if you have mods installed or the popup appears telling you that the game has become modified. If you mean that they don't appear modified in the menu but are then modified once loaded, that can only happen if they've been edited or corrupted between game sessions.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 12:12

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 10:19
If you mean that they don't appear modified in the menu but are then modified once loaded, that can only happen if they've been edited or corrupted between game sessions.
I mean - game not shown as modified in menu during gameplay. But actually its modified and all saves made during session really modified.
How i know it - i made saves every hour or so. Sometimes (it happened 3 times for 4 days game) i discover list of latest saves marked modified after game restart.

About dxdiag, vulkaninfo, gamesave - all gameplay looking good enough, very few crashes, compared to some time ago. Is it really necessary to upload it ?

P.S. Most number of 'modified' warnings happened during early gameplay, where was much direct ship piloting. After game become strategic, 'modified' popups at most gone, but anyway sometimes happening.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 13:16

So you are getting the modified warnings popping up? Savegames made after that will be modified; the whole point of the popup is to warn you that that will happen.

grobern
x4

Post by grobern » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 16:56

6.0 RC 1. No mods.

I just updated my 6.0 Beta 7 to the RC1 build and started the game. The moment I transitioned to another sector the "Modified game detected" message popped up, and now the "Modified" notice appears all the time on my Options screen. I do not have any mods loaded. I have never had any mods loaded.

Save game backup from Beta 7: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16kWTPL ... share_link
Save game after RC1 update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EO4fvn ... share_link

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:07

If it happens repeatably when entering a sector then use the Steam client to perform a full file verification, as there is probably a corrupt catalog file. If it's not repeatable, then see the advice above.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:39

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 13:16
So you are getting the modified warnings popping up? Savegames made after that will be modified; the whole point of the popup is to warn you that that will happen.
Yes, at most. But sometimes modified warning not popping, but savegames made after that also become modified. And game status in menu not showing modified status.
Saves made also not shown as modified during that game session.
But, if to restart game, saves starting to show as modified and if load it - game also counts as modified.

First time it happened - 'hidden modification' - i suspected i simply missed out popup warning, so i loaded save before modification and continue.
But now its repeated 2 times, so its not only popup skip.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:48

I'm having trouble following your explanation, sorry.

- If your game shows as modified when you start the game, then it means that your game files are modified or corrupt. Any savegames made while in this state will also be marked as modified.
- If your game becomes modified while playing (usually because a file cannot be read correctly, but it can also be the same case as above) then there will be a popup telling you that the savegame will be modified when you save it. Again, any savegames made while in this state will be marked as modified.
- If your savegame becomes modified while NOT playing (due to savegame editing or corruption) then the game cannot tell until the savegame is loaded, but it will be correctly marked as modified when saved again.

Ehli
x4

Post by Ehli » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:51

Maybe related / maybe it helps Ego: I can reliably reproduce this by NOT waiting for steam to upload my saves after playing (and saving) and then exiting X4/shutting down the PC. Booting up steam again and not waiting for the cloud upload to complete will always result in a mid-game "modified" notification, I suspect because the cloud upload is writing something (I doubt just setting the (A)rchive flag on the saves breaks the hash..). My workaround is to just wait for the upload to succeed after you exited X4.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:52

Interesting, thanks for the additional info. We will have to try that.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 18:48

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:48
I'm having trouble following your explanation, sorry.

- If your game shows as modified when you start the game, then it means that your game files are modified or corrupt. Any savegames made while in this state will also be marked as modified.
- If your game becomes modified while playing (usually because a file cannot be read correctly, but it can also be the same case as above) then there will be a popup telling you that the savegame will be modified when you save it. Again, any savegames made while in this state will be marked as modified.
- If your savegame becomes modified while NOT playing (due to savegame editing or corruption) then the game cannot tell until the savegame is loaded, but it will be correctly marked as modified when saved again.
Its because of my bad english, sorry.

Game becomes modified while playing, but now showing any popups about modification. Same, as with popups, but modified state of saves will only be shown after exiting and starting again.
So, its second choice with difference of no popup and hidden modification state.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 18:58

There is no second option without popups. If the game becomes modified while playing then it will show a popup.

As I said before, this situation happens either because the game is genuinely modified (either from a mod you installed, or because a file is corrupt) or because the game is unable to read files in order to verify their integrity. Either way, it can happen mid-game because the game doesn't immediately load all files when it starts.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 19:03

Ehli wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 17:51
Maybe related / maybe it helps Ego: I can reliably reproduce this by NOT waiting for steam to upload my saves after playing (and saving) and then exiting X4/shutting down the PC. Booting up steam again and not waiting for the cloud upload to complete will always result in a mid-game "modified" notification, I suspect because the cloud upload is writing something (I doubt just setting the (A)rchive flag on the saves breaks the hash..). My workaround is to just wait for the upload to succeed after you exited X4.
You mean 'hidden modification' not existing, its only steam corrupting game saves ? If so, i have steam cloud disabled for X4. Also, this may corrupt only single save file instead of multiple, how its happening to me.

But... Last time it happening i closed X4 with steam due of necessity to restart cause of door stuck bug. So, maybe its somehow relating, but why its not corrupting older saves ? Only some of them made after some date.

papirus
x4

Post by papirus » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 19:10

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 1. Apr 23, 18:58
There is no second option without popups. If the game becomes modified while playing then it will show a popup.

As I said before, this situation happens either because the game is genuinely modified (either from a mod you installed, or because a file is corrupt) or because the game is unable to read files in order to verify their integrity. Either way, it can happen mid-game because the game doesn't immediately load all files when it starts.
Game not modified on start, all files veriied by steam. Is it a way to know what file game unable to read during gameplay ? Is some way exist to enable related logging ? I can help with it more, because 'modified' happening very frequently for me.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 19:23

I'll try and explain it again. There are two ways a savegame can become modified.

1. By being saved while your game is modified. This situation can happen because you install a mod, because your game installation is corrupt, or because the game cannot read certain game files (i.e. NOT the savegame itself) to verify their integrity. If your game is modified when you start it up, then it will show this in the menu but won't pop up a message. If your game becomes modified while playing, it will pop up a message. Saves that are made while your game is modified will show as modified in the menu before you load them, and will remain modified after you save them again.

2. By being edited or corrupted on disk. This situation can happen if you edit a savegame, or if the savegame file becomes corrupted on disk. In this case the savegame may NOT show as modified before you load it, but it WILL show as modified after you save it again.

It is hard to tell from your description which of the above situations you are in.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”