[6.0 RC3] Behemoth Top Turret Stuck in Geometry? - Seems WAI to devs.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

nflszhu
x4

[6.0 RC3] Behemoth Top Turret Stuck in Geometry? - Seems WAI to devs.

Post by nflszhu » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 03:22

Hi,

Just noticed that my Behemoth top plasma turret (Paranid variant) is not shooting even though the command is "attack all enemies", and seems because it's stuck in the Geometry of the bridge structure? The bottom plasma turret is shooting without any issue.

Save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoT6Nmg1pfdysxJexfM ... J?e=LfkvDv

Thank you!

LameFox
x4

Re: [6.0 RC3] Behemoth Top Turret Stuck in Geometry?

Post by LameFox » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 05:19

I recall reporting this clipping long ago with TER L turrets, but it was only cosmetic at the time. I guess the new physics have altered that however. Did a quick test with a TER L Pulse and had the same issue: every turret on the ship works but that one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHU496 ... sp=sharing
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [6.0 RC3] Behemoth Top Turret Stuck in Geometry?

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:18

The devs tested the save and found that the top turret was initially blocked from the target by normal ship geometry. When the ship was rotated to allow unimpeded line of sight, the turret started to fire, and this is obviously under the new physics. The turret placement was examined and found to be as intended. Any visual clipping of longer weapon barrels is purely cosmetic and will not affect engagement.

For the devs to investigate further there would have to a link to a vanilla save where, upon loading it, a valid target is clearly in unimpeded line of sight and range for the turret yet it reliably does not attempt to fire.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

LameFox
x4

Re: [6.0 RC3] Behemoth Top Turret Stuck in Geometry? - Seems WAI to devs.

Post by LameFox » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:42

I wonder if reloading fixes it then, because I tested that by rolling the ship to keep that turret facing enemies and it never fired. It had deployed from its initial compact state so that the barrel clipped into the ship, then remained in that position doing nothing.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:43

That would be easy enough to check by you loading your own save. We would generally recommend that a save/reload cycle is used to see if issues are replicable from saves.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:44

You are surrounded by a large anount of enemies.
The turret probably picked a enemy, which is below its ecliptic, e.g. below the ship. Therefore never being able to fire.
You can make it fire by changing the behaviour to "attack my current target" and then pick an enemy, which is visible from the bridge, preferrably at the top of the screen.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 14:07

linolafett wrote:
Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:44
You are surrounded by a large anount of enemies.
The turret probably picked a enemy, which is below its ecliptic, e.g. below the ship. Therefore never being able to fire.
You can make it fire by changing the behaviour to "attack my current target" and then pick an enemy, which is visible from the bridge, preferrably at the top of the screen.
I just tried this again in a new custom start, with TER L Pulse again. In this case I went after a lone S that spawned there. The top turret still would not fire, however the bottom turret would. Curiously, changing the mode did make it start firing, despite there being no other enemies for it to choose (there's a nearby station, but not in L pulse range). In this case reloading it did not fix it (for me) so maybe you can get something from it.

If you load in, you should see the S above the ship. Flying closer and rolling to keep facing it does not appear to help. However, if you flip the ship over, the other L turret will start firing. If you change the turret priority to target the S specifically as you suggested, it will also start firing. I have disabled the Flak turrets for test purposes and previously changed the turrets to attack all enemies (from defend, which they started on).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1omdBXY ... share_link

(it's "modified" due to being a creative start, no mods were active)
***modified***

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 15:35

I've previously reported a similar issue where the turret's target selection is at fault. Basically, it targets something it certainly cannot hit - so never fires - ignoring other targets it could readily hit. Changing the turret to "attack my current target" and giving it a VALID target sees the turret fire as expected.

In the example I previously gave, ships were having difficulties shooting the various modules of a Kha'ak installation. Things started off just fine but, after a while, none of the ship's turrets would engage the Kha'ak Installation any more. However, manually targetting and setting turrets to "attack my current target" would see it engage modules it had LoS on.

Basically, this appears to be a target selection issue. Very apparent when the targets are parts of a station, less so when there are multiple moving targets as the target the turret is obsessed with might come back into LoS at some point, hiding the issue somewhat.

During a station assault, it's not uncommon for a ship's turrets - set to "Attack Capital Ships" - to simply stop firing, despite ample Modules in the turret's LoS it could hit if it tried. Having to micro-manage a station assault by manually picking the ship's targets is far from ideal. With just ONE capital ship, flown by the player, it's the quickest way to get things done. However, when it's multiple destroyers, using "attack my current target" is less useful, due to the varied LoS each ship, and turret group, has.

Is it possible for the game to be "aware" that's it's been unable to get LoS on its intended target for a period of time, and force it to re-assess the available targets?

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 17:26

I've definitely seen turrets have that issue before, particularly with stations, but it's weird that in this case it happens to the turret in a particular slot. In the second save with the S, the only other nearby enemy is a station 30km away. Surely it would not attempt to target that?

Is it possible that while the turret isn't physically stuck, the clipping causes it to consider a target obscured when it shouldn't be? I tried another test just now, using ARG L Pulse instead, and they worked perfectly normally.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”