[7.0 Beta 2] New 3rd person camera view (Feedback)

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Scoob
x4

[7.0 Beta 2] New 3rd person camera view (Feedback)

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 00:10

Hi,

Like most people, I think it's fair to say, I really like the new external 3rd person camera view. However, I do miss the old version at times. Sometimes, I want to focus on a ship, but always look in a fixed direction. I.e., previously I'd watch one of my ships doing a Protect Position near a gate, but I'd have my view looking at the gate so I can see as more ships arrive.

Is there any way that a second press of F2 could give us the original external camera that doesn't move with the ship? If it is already an option and I've missed it somehow, please tell me what I'm missing lol.

What do people think? Are there times when you'd prefer the old-style external view? For me, the new "chase camera" style view is GREAT for watching Fighters and Corvettes for example, and is of course workable on the player ship too. However, often when I'm watching larger ships in this view, I'm constantly adjusting my view to look in a specific direction and NOT move with the ship. Which is exactly what the old view did of course.

No big deal in the scheme of things, but I do like watching my ships in external view.

Btw: I noticed that when I'm sat in my office with the Map open the new external view doesn't work. I.e. I can select a ship on the map in the HQ sector, press the button / select external view from the menu and it doesn't work.

darklead
x4

Re: [7.0 Beta 2] New 3rd person camera view (Feedback)

Post by darklead » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 15:35

I completely agree. I also previously created a topic in discussions in which I proposed something similar to what you propose.
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=460853&p=5222434#p5220422
The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 15:43

The issue with the current chase camera is its difficulty in maintaining a fixed direction due to the lack of a stable reference point.

I'd rather have a static HUD that provides a reference point for the viewpoint and displays the ship's current location. X4 consistently lacks a suitable HUD, and the holographic map is hardly useful.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:17

darklead wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 15:35
I completely agree. I also previously created a topic in discussions in which I proposed something similar to what you propose.
Thanks for the link, I missed your post originally.

My personal preference would likely be something like:

- F2 pressed once = new "chase" style third-person camera view.
- F2 pressed twice = original view where the camera position is separate to whatever the target might be doing.

This is close to what we had before, but the chase view has been much improved of course.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 20:16

Scoob wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:17
darklead wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 15:35
Thanks for the link, I missed your post originally.

My personal preference would likely be something like:

- F2 pressed once = new "chase" style third-person camera view.
- F2 pressed twice = original view where the camera position is separate to whatever the target might be doing.

This is close to what we had before, but the chase view has been much improved of course.
I tend to agree that the new camera is nice, but the original was great too, we should have both options. I would also love to see the health and shield bars reduced in size or optional because they take up a lot of screen.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 18:02

After a while I've found myself using SHIFT+H (cant remember if that is default keybind or not) to disable the hud, as I often would enjoy using 3rd person to view my ship and then off to an angle as it travels through a system. I do like having the hud when in combat, especially in larger ships with lots of turrets.

Carador
x4

Post by Carador » Tue, 23. Apr 24, 23:57

capitalduty wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 20:16
I would also love to see the health and shield bars reduced in size or optional because they take up a lot of screen.
Yes. I'd like the option to disable the HUD elements when in external view. I know that I could do it with Shift + H, but I don't always want to press it after pressing F2. Just one option like "Show (flight control) HUD in external view - On / Off" would be nice.

Fazmaster
x4

Post by Fazmaster » Sat, 27. Apr 24, 20:30

Since I don't want to create another topic about 3rd person camera view I like to add my feedback here.

I like this new view a lot and often switch between 1st and 3rd person view.

What I'd welcome, especially for the external, is:

* No shear/rotation of the Map/Information UI (looks rather odd in external view)
* Don't Anchor Map/Information UI in the middle but at the edges of the screen (to account for wide displays)

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0D630361D/
Last edited by CBJ on Sat, 27. Apr 24, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized image replaced with link

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”