Vanilla-Style / Lore-Friendly Stations

Forum for sharing construction plans and loadouts.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

NilusBavarius
x3

Vanilla-Style / Lore-Friendly Stations

Post by NilusBavarius » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 02:26

Greetings everyone,

Since I've seen a lot of over-engineered, a few artistic and only very few "normal" (X4-Style/lore friendly) stations here, I'd like to share some of my attempts with the focus on stylistic fitting and believeable Construction Plans with you.

Of course I start with Duke's Haven, as it's one of the more interesting ones and I haven't seen real "Paranid Style" Builds so far.

Q: "What is Paranid Style anyway?"
A: "Everything with the geometric layout of being a multiple of 3"

Description:
Spoiler
Show
I used a small amount of clipping and got a bit creative for the central Admin-Module, as the Paranid Admin Module (for some odd reason) has got 4, instead of 3 or 6 connection points on it (an unholy oversight by the art team imo).

Also the 4th L Habitat (again, why not 3/6/9?) is slightly clipped into the Admin Module from below, but in a way that it looks like being a single module, with lining up textures/geometry and even unobstructed Advertisement greebles or Mass Traffic Tubes.
All other Launch Tubes are also unaffected and not obstructed.

This Plan satisfies all the requirements of the Mission to build "Duke's Haven" while also satisfying the Paranid Art Style.
The required Def-Modules are in place and only have to be populated with the desired loadout.

The best dimensions of the Build Cube are:

-10 / +10
-5 / +5
-10 / +10

This makes sure, the Station Icon gets centered in the Admin Module.
The Orientation can stay untouched (no rotation of the Build Cube in Map Mode) as it already aligns the primary Docking Ports towards the Gates.

The Building Storage is also easily supplied by the "south" side of the Cube and doesn't obstruct any Ports (looking at you, Teladi Trade Station).
Screenshot(s):
Spoiler
Show
DukesHaven-VanillaStyle-1.png
DukesHaven-VanillaStyle-3.png
DukesHaven-VanillaStyle-2.png
DukesHaven.png
Construction Plan:

Dukes Haven - Vanilla Style.xml
(35.02 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Hope you enjoy and any feedback/ new nifty techniques are appreciated!

Cheers,
Nilus
Last edited by NilusBavarius on Sun, 18. Jun 23, 11:41, edited 3 times in total.

NilusBavarius
x3

Re: Vanilla-Style / Lore-Friendly Stations

Post by NilusBavarius » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 02:28

Defense Platforms and Gate Blocks:

Terran Style:

Terran Stronghold - Vanilla Style.xml
(55.39 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Description:
Spoiler
Show
A vanilla style Terran "Gate Block" Station with the bare minimum to be survivable... unfortunately, without proper long range weaponry (Plasma), the survivability is compromised if the Combat Drones are depleted as Argon/Antigone Behemoths are camping just outside of the stations weapons range with Plasma (if they manage to sneak up from behind). Xenon don't cause a problem.
The normal approach through the parent Gate should be a death sentence for anything tho, as the firing arcs overlap quite well.

The Layout can be switched from the original "top to bottom" (1-2) to a "bottom to top" (2-1) which is a more reliable layout against Xenon (if I have the time and there's a need for an in-depth explanation for the underlying game mechanics, let me know).
If you don't know what the -X- I am talking about, I will provide a Split Station with the "bottom to top" layout soon.

This also mitigates the risk of incoming targets to be placed way outside of weapon range due to "collision avoidance" as it retains a clear path and some extra space for maneuvers.

This station already comes with a TER only Weapon Loadout and strategically dispersed Dumbfire Turrets to have at least something to defend on longer range (Heavy DF MK2 is your best choice here)
Screenshots:
Spoiler
Show
TER-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-1.png
TER-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-11.png
TER-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-2.png
TerranStronghold-VanillaStyle.png
General Info:
I assume you are aware how to align and manipulate Build Cubes for "close to Gate" Stations... if not, I can make an in-depth tutorial if you want, so let me know!
Last edited by NilusBavarius on Mon, 19. Jun 23, 09:51, edited 6 times in total.

NilusBavarius
x3

Post by NilusBavarius » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 21:43

Split Style:

Split Stronghold - Vanilla Style.xml
(50.96 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Description:
Spoiler
Show
This is a Split Gate Block Station, based on the vanilla Split Defence Platform, arranged in the "bottom to top" (2-1) layout and works wonders against Xenon without the massive performance impact of those overengineered "Walls of Destruction".

It comes with a full complement of Split only weaponry and the overlapping firing arcs melt down everything brave enough to jump into the system.

The layout makes sure there is enough space to avoid "misplacement" by the "collision avoidance" system on gates.
Screenshots:
Spoiler
Show
Split-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-1.png
Split-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-2.png
Split-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-3.png
Split-Stronghold-VanillaStyle-4.png

NilusBavarius
x3

Post by NilusBavarius » Fri, 16. Jun 23, 23:32

A Teladi Style, top to bottom (1-2) Gate Block Example:
Spoiler
Show
TeladiStronghold-VanillaStyle.png
An Argon Style, top to bottom (1-2) Gate Block Example:
Spoiler
Show
ArgonStronghold-VanillaStyle.png
The Argon one would fit a bit better with the typical T-layout for the arms (which you know from the Argon Defence Platforms), but then it would have been too overpowered, at least compared to the Terran one on the other side of the gate.

Archon_Valec
x4

Post by Archon_Valec » Thu, 15. Feb 24, 22:46

NilusBavarius wrote:
Fri, 16. Jun 23, 23:32
Spoiler
Show
TeladiStronghold-VanillaStyle.png
An Argon Style, top to bottom (1-2) Gate Block Example:
Spoiler
Show
ArgonStronghold-VanillaStyle.png
The Argon one would fit a bit better with the typical T-layout for the arms (which you know from the Argon Defence Platforms), but then it would have been too overpowered, at least compared to the Terran one on the other side of the gate.
No XML for the Teladi and Argon defense stations?

NilusBavarius
x3

Post by NilusBavarius » Fri, 16. Feb 24, 01:32

Archon_Valec wrote:
Thu, 15. Feb 24, 22:46
NilusBavarius wrote:
Fri, 16. Jun 23, 23:32
No XML for the Teladi and Argon defense stations?
Greetings,

No, just examples as they are literally the same as the other ones with xml's, just with race specific parts.

A "task/exercise for the reader" so to speak.

It really isn't rocket science and by loading on of the available variants and replacing the parts there's a good chance of getting a good/better idea or placement for something as those where designed and built in 5.2 and 6.0 (which I am currently stuck at) has some weird behavior in terms of "collision avoidance" on gate exit for bigships especially (The void is a prime example).

If it is really necessary, I'll upload them as soon as I get proper internet back (which will probably still take a couple of months )

I hope you enjoy and if you find some mistakes or better working solutions, let me know.!

Cheers,
Nilus

Return to “Construction Community”