[Rookie Question] Good time to go FL?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Saucerful-of-Secrets

[Rookie Question] Good time to go FL?

Post by Saucerful-of-Secrets » Wed, 5. May 21, 17:12

Hi, having played some Terran Conflict, but no other X games, I'm wondering if jumping in to Farnham's Legacy now would be premature, or if I should finish some TC plots like the Hub and also do some AP first. What do you all think?

laux
x3tc

Re: [Rookie Question] Good time to go FL?

Post by laux » Wed, 5. May 21, 17:50

I just had a 10 year break from X and played AP again for a week to get in the mood. I really can't recommend it. Rather start right here with FL and enjoy new plots and great innovations.

Aven Valkyr
x3ap

Post by Aven Valkyr » Wed, 5. May 21, 18:42

Just DIIIIIIIIIIVE straight in buds

Saucerful-of-Secrets

Post by Saucerful-of-Secrets » Wed, 5. May 21, 21:50

OK, I will do as you both suggest. Thanks for responding.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. May 21, 22:41

Saucerful-of-Secrets wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 21:50
OK, I will do as you both suggest.
Be aware that some/most TC BonusPack functionality has been incorporated into FL base game (& changed WRT how commands are issued etc), so if you'd installed the BP previously don't expect things to work quite the same way in FL (tho most BP functionality is still possible in FL vanilla)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Saucerful-of-Secrets

Post by Saucerful-of-Secrets » Thu, 6. May 21, 23:57

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 22:41
Be aware that some/most TC BonusPack functionality has been incorporated into FL base game (& changed WRT how commands are issued etc), so if you'd installed the BP previously don't expect things to work quite the same way in FL (tho most BP functionality is still possible in FL vanilla)
Right, so in order to play FL vanilla (are their any other flavours yet?), it's only necessary to install AP and FL - or should the AP Bonus Pack also be installed (or does AP Bonus Pack not influence FL?)?

So far all I have installed is TC (with BP)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 7. May 21, 00:18

TC, AP and FL should be installed, ideally mod free. The Bonus Pack for TC or AP does not have any impact on X3FL.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 7. May 21, 03:03

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:18
TC, AP and FL should be installed, ideally mod free. The Bonus Pack for TC or AP does not have any impact on X3FL.
To be crystal clear, AP requires TC (a standalone installation) to be installed; FL requires AP to be installed, therefore both FL's predecessors s are needed for FL to function

The X3 Bonus Pack (any version: R, TC or AP) is irrelevant to FL & should /not/ be installed for FL playability (tho I guess it'll still be relevant for players wishing to start an older game from the same install folder). I've no idea if it would affect FL in any way, so I've not installed it here just to be sure I'm safe from unwanted discrepancies :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Fri, 7. May 21, 04:42

TC has the best plots !

AP improved upon TC with new content (except for plots) such as new ships, ship stats, combat mechanics etc.

FL is a whole different beast. Many many quality of life improvements to both TC and AP & new content. Too early to say anything about plots though.

To me, your question is a hard to answer one. I enjoyed AP a lot having multiple playthroughs though I missed good story elements from TC. But in contrast FL is far superior to both TC and AP. So if you are just looking for a space sandbox experience, jump right in to FL.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

JcJet
x4

Post by JcJet » Fri, 7. May 21, 08:31

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 03:03
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:18
To be crystal clear, AP requires TC (a standalone installation) to be installed; FL requires AP to be installed, therefore both FL's predecessors s are needed for FL to function
Um...
I've installed only FL from Steam, without any other X3 games. And it worked fine.
The directory is still called The Terran Conflict with x3tc.exe and other stuff, but the Steam library shows only FL installed. So I guess it just downloads the required stuff automatically, without needing to install the whole trilogy. The same story for AP, iirc.

Saucerful-of-Secrets

Post by Saucerful-of-Secrets » Fri, 7. May 21, 12:15

Thanks again everyone, this cleared up matters for me. I think I'm good to go now (or as soon as I get off work)!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”