[Spoiler] Xenon Hub fight

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Makathran

[Spoiler] Xenon Hub fight

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 19:24

So I am just finding this fight impossible. I can't equip any ships because all the stocks are empty, there's no weapon forges or shields anywhere to bring some fighters for support or anything and my nemesis can't hit the side of a barn with its weapon placement. The only thing I could think of doing was hacking traders and stealing swarms of fighter drones but even with 15mk2s and 20mk1s I'm still getting slaughtered. I'm considering just trying to cheese it with OOS combat now which is annoying because I would actually like to be in the fight rather than OOS.

Anyone got any tips for this? Please tell me theres some PBG forge that I've missed somewhere! xD
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Wed, 5. May 21, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Spoiler to the title

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Xenon Hub fight

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:02

Do you have auto-aim turned on in your Nemesis?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:07

Nemesis is a shit design unfortunately. But you can exploit OOS combat mechanics here.

What I did was,

1. Move both my Discoverer & nemesis near to the xenon hub gate of the holy vision epsilon
2. Jump in to the Disco and order the nemesis to fly through the gate to xenon hub
3. Now the nemesis will move to the hub sector where the dukes fighters are. Order it to attack all enemies. Eject the fighter drones as well.
4. Let it kill couple of fighters. When the shield is getting lowered, order it to jump to you.
5. Wait till the shield recharges and rinse and repeat

2-3 times doing the afore would be sufficient to kill all the fighters hopefully.

I completed the plot and now roaming the galaxy. Trying to replace the stupid nemesis. Cant figure out what I should buy :roll:
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:10

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have autoaim but it seems worse than semi because of the weapon placement causing the weapons to fire on either side of the autoaim point rather than converging on the target. I've tried using both the ISR and FBL in different fire groups to see if I could get one side to train on the target but no dice. Only way I'm hitting at all is to compensate for the weapon placement by aiming to the left or right of the target point on semi.

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:14

Klord wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:07
Nemesis is a shit design unfortunately. But you can exploit OOS combat mechanics here.

What I did was,

1. Move both my Discoverer & nemesis near to the xenon hub gate of the holy vision epsilon
2. Jump in to the Disco and order the nemesis to fly through the gate to xenon hub
3. Now the nemesis will move to the hub sector where the dukes fighters are. Order it to attack all enemies. Eject the fighter drones as well.
4. Let it kill couple of fighters. When the shield is getting lowered, order it to jump to you.
5. Wait till the shield recharges and rinse and repeat

2-3 times doing the afore would be sufficient to kill all the fighters hopefully.

I completed the plot and now roaming the galaxy. Trying to replace the stupid nemesis. Cant figure out what I should buy :roll:
Nice, was hoping to avoid OOS coz It feels like cheating xD Might just have to go for it though no way to beat these fighters without PBG's

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:21

Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:14
Nice, was hoping to avoid OOS coz It feels like cheating xD Might just have to go for it though no way to beat these fighters without PBG's
I know. Its boring, but thats the only way forward considering our situation.

I dont know if this is how Nemesis is even in AP and TC or is this a problem associated with Nemesis in FL. I have never flown it before.

If possible, I would like to suggest to change the reward M6 from the plot to a different M6. Because Nemesis is a pain in ass. Just a little while ago, I ended up trying to kill a lone Xenon M for 15 mins. Gave up and went on my own way. :|

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:25

Can you please upload a save from within or shortly before the fight?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:26

Klord wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:21
Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:14
I know. Its boring, but thats the only way forward considering our situation.

I dont know if this is how Nemesis is even in AP and TC or is this a problem associated with Nemesis in FL. I have never flown it before.

If possible, I would like to suggest to change the reward M6 from the plot to a different M6. Because Nemesis is a pain in ass. Just a little while ago, I ended up trying to kill a lone Xenon M for 15 mins. Gave up and went on my own way. :|
Usually you can just slap on a a bunch of plasma burst generators and flamethrower your way through any fighter swarms so its not so aiming isn't really a problem but the lack of equipment in the starting sectors are a bit of an issue. I think maybe because we took the m5 ships to start that was a mistake, an m3 would have been very very helpful lol

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:35

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:25
If you are asking me, I can only upload a current save game. My bottom turret killed the M a lil while ago (after hitting for eternity). Had to maintain the speed and angle until the job is done. Its pretty weird to sit in an M6 and still not being able to kill simplest of fighters. .

Still if somebody want to try, I can upload a save file to google drive and provide access. Let me know. :)

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:42

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Save file can be accessed here,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196wC8N ... sp=sharing

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 20:48

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
This is just before the fight, just need to fly into the Xenon hub. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iW68jN ... sp=sharing

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. May 21, 21:00

Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 19:24
So I am just finding this fight impossible. [...] my nemesis can't hit the side of a barn with its weapon placement.
A couple of tips: try engaging the ISRs (or PACs) from approx 1Km distance rather than closing to as close as possible (turret set to 'attack my target ofc),
& if you're using the RMB to fire ait the auto-aim pip, don't! Use CTRL on the keyboard instead: that gives proper auto-aim to the boresight rather than mouse-cursor directed fire
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 21:08

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 21:00
Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 19:24
So I am just finding this fight impossible. [...] my nemesis can't hit the side of a barn with its weapon placement.
A couple of tips: try engaging the ISRs (or PACs) from approx 1Km distance rather than closing to as close as possible (turret set to 'attack my target ofc),
& if you're using the RMB to fire ait the auto-aim pip, don't! Use CTRL on the keyboard instead: that gives proper auto-aim to the boresight rather than mouse-cursor directed fire
Thanks, its quite hard to control the range of engagement thought because the fighters tend to just swarm you. It's maybe possible to keep switching to the fighters that are targeting my drones though. I'll give it a shot in a bit. Decided to take a break and ask the hivemind while I ate dinner xD

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 5. May 21, 21:36

Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:48
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
This is just before the fight, just need to fly into the Xenon hub. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iW68jN ... sp=sharing
Thank you. Currently playing the fight, and it's quite entertaining. :) While it's certainly not that easy to hit the targets, I think this is mostly due to them being so fast. Not anything being wrong with the Nemesis per se.
Snafu_X3 made already valid points with making use of your range advantage and of the keyboard controls for firing.

A couple of other points:
- When entering the HUB sector, don't charge directly into the group of engaging ships, but rather let them come to you.
- If you stay close to the hull or the active gate of the HUB, your enemies will have a hard time chasing you. Also, if everything fails you can easily retreat to recharge your shields. Alternatively, you can also dock to the HUB to recharge your shields.
- For fast targets like the Pegasus a few Mosquito missiles are a great way to get the final shot.
- You can also make use of your fighter drones to divert attackers.
- If you manage to stay alive for a while, more ships supporting you will enter the HUB. So you don't have to fight alone.

Edit: Played your save until there's only one fighter left.
X12.zip
X3FL HUB fight; only one ship left
(11.94 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

Makathran

Post by Makathran » Wed, 5. May 21, 22:21

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 21:36
Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 20:48
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Thank you. Currently playing the fight, and it's quite entertaining. :) While it's certainly not that easy to hit the targets, I think this is mostly due to them being so fast. Not anything being wrong with the Nemesis per se.
Snafu_X3 made already valid points with making use of your range advantage and of the keyboard controls for firing.

A couple of other points:
- When entering the HUB sector, don't charge directly into the group of engaging ships, but rather let them come to you.
- If you stay close to the hull or the active gate of the HUB, your enemies will have a hard time chasing you. Also, if everything fails you can easily retreat to recharge your shields. Alternatively, you can also dock to the HUB to recharge your shields.
- For fast targets like the Pegasus a few Mosquito missiles are a great way to get the final shot.
- You can also make use of your fighter drones to divert attackers.
- If you manage to stay alive for a while, more ships supporting you will enter the HUB. So you don't have to fight alone.

Edit: Played your save until there's only one fighter left.

X12.zip
Phew, I did it! Using the keyboard fire command made such a difference to my ability to hit things lol. I've played maybe 400hours of X3 combined and just goes to show, every days a school day xD Kitting around the side to draw out a couple of ships and holding out till help arrived worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 5. May 21, 22:27

Makathran wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 22:21

Phew, I did it! Using the keyboard fire command made such a difference to my ability to hit things lol.
It's an easy mistake to make (& forget if you're coming back to X3 after several years), but glad I could help! :)
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Thu, 6. May 21, 04:08

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 22:27
It's an easy mistake to make (& forget if you're coming back to X3 after several years), but glad I could help! :)
Could someone plz explain how this is done?

I have always used mouse aiming and firing and it worked beautifully. Never tried "key board firing" except for random time consuming spacewalk hull repair. :roll:

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 6. May 21, 04:53

Klord wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 04:08
Could someone plz explain how this is done?
Use the mouse to control ship direction (& speed if you care); when the target lead pip flashes red/blue use <CTRL> on the keyboard to fire. It makes strafing awkward with only a MKB setup, but that shouldn't be so much of a problem as the auto-aim is good enough to worry less about incoming fire (IMO, & I'm a useless dogfighter!)

If the lead pip doesn't flash* (or you can't see it due to colour blindness or similar), try to keep it within the boresight radius that seems to be it's 'hot zone' (sry: I can't demonstrate this easily without a video clip).

*Make sure you've either Fight s/w installed & enabled (using 'k' for on/semi/off) to make use of auto-aim (it may not be installed in <startership>)!

Klord
x3ap

Re: [Spoiler] Xenon Hub fight

Post by Klord » Thu, 6. May 21, 06:06

I think I managed to grasp this.

Instead of using right mouse button to change ship direction and fire, I used keyboard for all maneuvers and fired the guns using ctrl. Accuracy has improved a lot !

I wonder why there is a dissonance though. Is it a bug? I mean, in both instances I use the same ship, same weapons etc, only the controlling method is different.

dony93
x3tc

Re: [Spoiler] Xenon Hub fight

Post by dony93 » Thu, 6. May 21, 10:08

I also suggest to get HEPT or PACs for the Nemesis. Never liked ISRs on M6 ships because they are almost useless against fighters and they use too much energy. On a sidenote I really appreciate the increase in manoeuvrability for the Nemesis (I think it will be the same for other races), this class of ships was garbage in TC, pretty good in AP and it looks like we got even more improvements in FL!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”