Explorers Guild question

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

ex-deathevn

Explorers Guild question

Post by ex-deathevn » Thu, 6. May 21, 16:02

So I've reached a slowdown point in the plot on my way to accessing -
Spoiler
Show
the TL ship for deploying the BoFu station, mostly since I'm gathering the funds right now
- and I haven't come across a way to utilize the Discovery Points I've acquired so far. I've also read all of the Survival Guide entries in the encyclopedia under Exploration.

Is there a prerequisite I'm missing to being able to spend/use Discovery Points that I should expect to unlock later in the game? Playing on the Moo-Kye's Enforcer start, purely because I've always liked using Yaki tech.
As an aside, LOVING playing FL so far. Massive kudos to the team behind it!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Explorers Guild question

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 6. May 21, 16:19

To help you with money
Spoiler
Show
Use the LFL to find Derelict Ships, these have items the cargo bay you can sell for money (Weapons)

Also, You dont need all the wares that are in the HQ, so you can sell some of these, like Silicon
The discovery points you spend at the explorer guild, you find them randomly at any Docks, but they are not always there and move around.
Because there is only 1 dock in the start sectors, they might be hard to find until you get access to more docks.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 6. May 21, 16:44

Regarding LFL, in some sectors LFL reticule do not appear despite turning the device on, does it mean that everything has been discovered in this sector?

Also what LFL device can detect and what not (ships, wares, objects)?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:03

Sorkvild wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 16:44
Regarding LFL, in some sectors LFL reticule do not appear despite turning the device on, does it mean that everything has been discovered in this sector?
I was wondering the same thing and no, the LFL is not sector wide for some objects, it has a range https://steamcommunity.com/app/483330/d ... 292189088/
I later discovered this because the LFL hud appeared when I was flying around a sector (was not on when i entered), turned out to be an abandoned LX.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:04

if the LFL is not showing, it means its not detecting anything.
It doesn't mean there is nothing in the sector though, as some things have a limited range of detection.

it also doesn't mean there wont be anything to find there later

ero_sk
x4

Post by ero_sk » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:14

Cycrow wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 17:04
Does it mean that items can dynamically span in places that have been already checked?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:16

yes, new items are generated randomly

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:52

Cycrow wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 17:04
if the LFL is not showing, it means its not detecting anything.
It doesn't mean there is nothing in the sector though, as some things have a limited range of detection.

OK. What is the reading range of the lfl - I assume greater than triplex? What kind of objects it detects? Wares too?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 6. May 21, 17:55

some things like the HSAP's, some blueprints and journal pages are sector wide.

the others like ships, discoveries, wares, credits, tuning and weapons require to be in 60km

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 6. May 21, 18:28

That helps a lot. Thanks.
We want the Boron back!

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Thu, 6. May 21, 18:37

Things to find !

Thank you, thank thank you.

One of the big +’s is to not know what you may find out there .

Looks like X3FL has overtaken X4 for interest.

Eyes wide open,
Windows demisted.
Outward bound.

Be back in a year or two !
:D

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Thu, 6. May 21, 19:41

ex-deathevn wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 16:02
So I've reached a slowdown point in the plot on my way to accessing -
Spoiler
Show
the TL ship for deploying the BoFu station, mostly since I'm gathering the funds right now
- and I haven't come across a way to utilize the Discovery Points I've acquired so far. I've also read all of the Survival Guide entries in the encyclopedia under Exploration.

Is there a prerequisite I'm missing to being able to spend/use Discovery Points that I should expect to unlock later in the game? Playing on the Moo-Kye's Enforcer start, purely because I've always liked using Yaki tech.
As an aside, LOVING playing FL so far. Massive kudos to the team behind it!
I find the representatives at the military outpost, Equipment dock and the Science thing that looks like a Military outpost from early in the game (I'm still in the beginning sectors). They are very random sometimes every one will have one sometimes none. They will be at the bottom of the list of people without a symbol. Haven't found anything worth spending my points on yet all the good stuff is very expensive.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 6. May 21, 21:36

They can appear on /any/ dock, so include pirate stations, trading stations etc in your search..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

shameless creature
x3ap

Post by shameless creature » Fri, 7. May 21, 00:03

How exactly can I turn in Special Discovery with the Explorers Guild? When I contact a representative, they don't have any additional dialogue for it.

Xe-131
x4

Post by Xe-131 » Fri, 7. May 21, 03:02

shameless creature wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:03
How exactly can I turn in Special Discovery with the Explorers Guild? When I contact a representative, they don't have any additional dialogue for it.
Came here looking for the answer to this as well. I've docked at a station and there's nowhere to offload them.

A separate point... possibly a big spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
I've found an "Unknown Enemy Sector". Could someone tell me if it's meant to be totally empty, or if I should keep looking deeper, or if it may have some use in the future? Please be somewhat cryptic about it if there is anything there as I'd like to find whatever may be there myself!

TVCD
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by TVCD » Fri, 7. May 21, 08:52

shameless creature wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:03
Should be fixed in the next update.

Special discoveries can be given/exchanged at the Explorer Guild. :wink:
"Manche Menschen können den Regen spüren, andere werden nur nass"

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Fri, 7. May 21, 15:31

johneh77 wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 19:41
I find the representatives at the military outpost, Equipment dock and the Science thing that looks like a Military outpost from early in the game (I'm still in the beginning sectors). They are very random sometimes every one will have one sometimes none. They will be at the bottom of the list of people without a symbol. Haven't found anything worth spending my points on yet all the good stuff is very expensive.
So how exactly can you identify these guild members if they dont have a specific icon? Do I have to speak with everyone?

I have 991k discovery points at the moment. I would really like to see what they have.

Edit: Oh found them. They come with the name tag of Explorers guild representative.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Sun, 9. May 21, 21:33

What you can spend them on is usually disappointing. After long looking I finally got a blueprint for a Chokaro and took that. Most of the good stuff is in the millions. Have seen a few things that were somewhat tempting but have passed not wanting to spend points where I might regret it. Seems to be extremely random but you see more basic blueprints than special ones. I wouldn't waste points on those.

I wonder if they will still offer you one you already have or if their might be a point to reverse engineering all those crap ships so they will give you better options?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 9. May 21, 21:44

You will only be offered blueprints you dont currently own

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 9. May 21, 22:44

TVCD wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 08:52
Special discoveries can be given/exchanged at the Explorer Guild. :wink:
Incidentally, the current discoveries that /don't/ end up in the cargo bay seem to yield 10K explorer points each
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”