Can't run FL

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Kinnison
x3ap

Can't run FL

Post by Kinnison » Thu, 6. May 21, 20:32

I have X3, XR and X4 all working as Steam games. I added FL as soon as it appeared and it is available to play - but lasts 1 second. No explanation, no error message: it just bins out before getting going.

I've un/re-installed it but without effect. Should I be trying to get help from Steam or can anyone suggest a reason and a cure here?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Can't run FL

Post by CBJ » Thu, 6. May 21, 20:33

We might be able to help, but you'll need to give us some information to work with. A DXDiag would be a good start. :)

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Fri, 7. May 21, 15:48

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 20:33
We might be able to help, but you'll need to give us some information to work with. A DXDiag would be a good start. :)
Hope you can, thanks. Here's the dxdiag: https://nextcloud.webo.hosting/s/CB6Gz2iLeS72N6Y

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 7. May 21, 16:09

The system setup itself looks OK. Your sound drivers are a little out of date, and if you have any codec packs installed then it would be worth removing those. However the thing that stands out are two ASUS applications, NoiseCancelingEngine.exe and AcPowerNotification.exe, repeatedly crashing. I'd recommend uninstalling them in case they are interfering with the game starting up.

Other things to try:
• perform a file verification using the Steam or GOG client
• restart the Steam client (actually Exit rather than just closing the window, then start it again)
• make sure you have no mods installed for either X3TC or X3AP
• try excluding the game folder from your anti-virus software in case it's preventing the game from running

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Fri, 7. May 21, 16:38

I've just been checking and although X3:AP runs fine under Steam, X3:TC pops a notice with a key, which 'will be needed for the game to run'. The game runs OK after that, and there's no request for the key.

However when FL tries to start I see that there is a message box that flashes up, too quick to read. Maybe connected?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:06

No, the key thing for X3TC is normal (it's actually for forum registration), and the brief popup for X3FL is just the Steam message window to say it's starting the game.

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:17

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 16:09
The system setup itself looks OK. Your sound drivers are a little out of date, and if you have any codec packs installed then it would be worth removing those. However the thing that stands out are two ASUS applications, NoiseCancelingEngine.exe and AcPowerNotification.exe, repeatedly crashing. I'd recommend uninstalling them in case they are interfering with the game starting up.
I'd seen those two crashing apps. Seems there are part of the Asus Armoury Crate junk that I accidentally installed when building this PC last week. I've got rid of them now, but it doesn't make a difference.

Haven't installed any codec packs, can check the sound drivers but not too optimistic.

Other things to try:
• perform a file verification using the Steam or GOG client
• restart the Steam client (actually Exit rather than just closing the window, then start it again)
• make sure you have no mods installed for either X3TC or X3AP
• try excluding the game folder from your anti-virus software in case it's preventing the game from running
I've verified the local files a couple of times. Restarted Steam several times, in a single session and across reboots. No mods (I have separate non-Steam installs for modded games). Excluded the folder from AV - no change.

Gamma Rad
x4

Post by Gamma Rad » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:26

Had a similar issue, for some reason FL tripped my Security suite software (Not Anti-Virus, its COMODO suite Host intrusion Prevention system and Auto-Containment module), A little odd considering it didnt trip X3:AP, but disabling it allowed the game to run.

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Sat, 8. May 21, 17:02

Gamma Rad wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 17:26
Had a similar issue, for some reason FL tripped my Security suite software (Not Anti-Virus, its COMODO suite Host intrusion Prevention system and Auto-Containment module), A little odd considering it didnt trip X3:AP, but disabling it allowed the game to run.
Interesting, but unfortunately not relevant in my case as I'm not running extra security [usually have Malwarebytes but it's sulking in the new install and won't run]

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Mon, 10. May 21, 20:39

So, I've tried Steam support and they refer me to Egosoft. There's no way I can see to ask for that support outside the forums, and asking here hasn't sorted it - so what should I do?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 10. May 21, 20:45

Have you restarted your Steam client and/or PC during this process? Sometime after a fresh installation, Steam doesn't play nicely with the newly-installed game. Please also check whether the game is trying to do a first-time install of the vcredist, and failing due to a permissions setting.

ranzolger
x4

Post by ranzolger » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:01

Try to quit discord.

For some reason i cannot start X3FL when discord is running. It also prevents alt-tabbing when i startet discord after X3FL.

I think i've disabled all overlays and stuff in discord.
Good luck!

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Mon, 10. May 21, 23:11

ranzolger wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 21:01
Try to quit discord.

For some reason i cannot start X3FL when discord is running. It also prevents alt-tabbing when i startet discord after X3FL.

I think i've disabled all overlays and stuff in discord.
Good luck!
Try to change at the little configuration that appear when you start the game >in graphics settings to borderless. that worked for me.

ranzolger
x4

Post by ranzolger » Mon, 10. May 21, 23:29

I have a 4k screen (27"), so borderless is sadly no option for me.
Afaik the gui doesn't scale.

But maybe its a solution for the OP

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Tue, 11. May 21, 21:51

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 20:45
Have you restarted your Steam client and/or PC during this process? Sometime after a fresh installation, Steam doesn't play nicely with the newly-installed game. Please also check whether the game is trying to do a first-time install of the vcredist, and failing due to a permissions setting.
Restarted both many times. Can't see any sign of an attempt to install vcredist in Task Manager, though as the whole thing only takes a second or so I might be missing something.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Tue, 11. May 21, 21:53

ranzolger wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 23:29
I have a 4k screen (27"), so borderless is sadly no option for me.
Afaik the gui doesn't scale.

But maybe its a solution for the OP
I can't see a borderless setting anywhere - I'm not getting as far as any screen with options. AFAICS there's no way to set it in the Steam client - is there?

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Tue, 11. May 21, 22:54

Kinnison wrote:
Thu, 6. May 21, 20:32
I have X3, XR and X4 all working as Steam games. I added FL as soon as it appeared and it is available to play - but lasts 1 second. No explanation, no error message: it just bins out before getting going.

I've un/re-installed it but without effect. Should I be trying to get help from Steam or can anyone suggest a reason and a cure here?
I tried running the executable directly rather than through Steam. It failed because "d3dx9_43.dll is missing" and suggested reinstalling as a fix, but of course I've already done that. DirectX 10 is monolithic I believe so I can't add any components.

DXDiag doesn't report any issues. Here's an updated report: https://nextcloud.webo.hosting/s/QHWXPaGTkHas38d

[There are some crashes reported at the end, mainly to do with the onboard audio (Realtek) which I've had to mess with recently. New BIOS, chipset drivers and reinstalling the audio device fixed have fixed the issues. No change to FL, obviously.]

Kinnison
x3ap

Post by Kinnison » Tue, 11. May 21, 23:45

Found the dll in a cab file in X3's Directx9c folder, and extracted it to the game and addon folders.
It doesn't complain about it now when I run X3FL.exe directly, but just says that the game was unable to start correctly, error Oxc000007b.

Running from Steam is the same as ever, though it might be two seconds instead of one.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 12. May 21, 01:28

Kinnison wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 23:45
Found the dll in a cab file in X3's Directx9c folder, and extracted it to the game and addon folders.
It doesn't complain about it now when I run X3FL.exe directly, but just says that the game was unable to start correctly, error Oxc000007b.
This may not help, but after extracting that DLL (check its age/version first!) you may need to firstly fully reboot & secondly re-verify the Steam installation: Windoze has a quirky relationship WRT replacing in-use DLLs, & that one particularly may be referenced by more processes than just the game (eg GFX, audio etc) even if its calls/hooks are unused, for backward-compatibility purposes
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Ehli
x4

Post by Ehli » Wed, 12. May 21, 08:17

Kinnison wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 23:45

Running from Steam is the same as ever, though it might be two seconds instead of one.
You shouldn't need to copy that file like that though. Check https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7f7863766f and scroll down to the big post made there

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”