[BUG] move to position

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Klord
x3ap

[BUG] move to position

Post by Klord » Fri, 7. May 21, 18:49

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 18:33
You could try deleting or removing the file "profile0.xpf" from Documents\Egosoft\X3FL\profiles.
Hi,

There seem to be a bug when using ship command "move to position". Instead of moving in to the selected object, the ship ends up in the center of the sector.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Fri, 7. May 21, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from other topic
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: [BUG] Help needed - flight controls

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 7. May 21, 18:57

Are you actually selecting a position to move to, either clicking on the map or using the numpad to move the cursor. The default position is the centre of the map

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: [BUG] move to position

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 7. May 21, 19:07

Additionally, there's also a "Move to coordinates" command, requiring Navigation Command Software Mk1, allowing you to enter (x,y,z)-coordinates.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Fri, 7. May 21, 19:39

Move to position works correctly when selected from number pads. But it doesnt work as intended when we selected an object/station or another ship (as the position). When an object is selected, the ship moves to center instead of the selected object. This wasn't the case in AP as far as I remember. :)

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 8. May 21, 00:09

Klord wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 19:39
Move to position works correctly when selected from number pads. But it doesnt work as intended when we selected an object/station or another ship (as the position). When an object is selected, the ship moves to center instead of the selected object. This wasn't the case in AP as far as I remember. :)
IIRC it's always been the same in any X3 game
  • The initial 'move to position' (or 'build in position') command always starts as centred (0,0,0) in the selected sector
  • If you want to move to a position relative to a ship's /current position/ (if the ship is moving this won't change the destination coordinates), First tap <numpad 5> so the 'destination' cursor is centred on the object you hover the mouse over in the RHS map object list
    Then use <numpad direction> keys to move the cursor to the desired location

The 'X3 generic missions' link in my sig will take you to the Wiki page: look at the 'Build' section for a better (tho still clumsy) explanation (it could use some screenshots)
Fortunately FL has now included a flashing red warning if trying to build a station too near another object, including its TL :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Sat, 8. May 21, 06:57

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Sat, 8. May 21, 00:09
IIRC it's always been the same in any X3 game
  • The initial 'move to position' (or 'build in position') command always starts as centred (0,0,0) in the selected sector
  • If you want to move to a position relative to a ship's /current position/ (if the ship is moving this won't change the destination coordinates), First tap <numpad 5> so the 'destination' cursor is centred on the object you hover the mouse over in the RHS map object list
    Then use <numpad direction> keys to move the cursor to the desired location

The 'X3 generic missions' link in my sig will take you to the Wiki page: look at the 'Build' section for a better (tho still clumsy) explanation (it could use some screenshots)
Fortunately FL has now included a flashing red warning if trying to build a station too near another object, including its TL :)
I just checked with one of my AP saves and I can confirm what I say.

The initial "move to position" curser is always at center, that is true.

But when you scroll and select a different object/station or a ship, the move to position cursor also jumps to that specific object as well.

Interesting thing is this only happens only once. If you start using numberpad keys to manually change positions, the move to position curser no longer jumps to the object you selected. I hope you understand what Im trying to say. Unfortunately I dunno any efficient way to post a video to explain this.

Either way, we can consider this as a deviance rather than a bug. I just noticed the difference because I used that command a lot to move ships around to specific objects in AP.

gunman127
x4

Post by gunman127 » Sat, 8. May 21, 14:26

I've got the same issue, and a friend of mine I got into X has it exactly the same as well

ANY ship told to move to ANY point will go to 0,0,0 , in the corret sector at least

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 8. May 21, 17:07

Klord wrote:
Sat, 8. May 21, 06:57
Interesting thing is this only happens only once. If you start using numberpad keys to manually change positions, the move to position curser no longer jumps to the object you selected. I hope you understand what Im trying to say. Unfortunately I dunno any efficient way to post a video to explain this.
I understand what you mean. The problem here is a different UI behaviour on the normal sector map and on the sector map when issuing the move to position command:
  • When normally opening the sector map and selecting an object through the object list on the right, the target cursor and the position cursor appear at the same position. Both cursors will move together when you scroll through the object list.
  • However, when the sector map is opened by the 'move to position' command, the position cursor appears at the sector centre. When you select an object from the object list now, it will only move the target cursor, but not the position cursor. The position of the position cursor can only be changed by the numpad keys or the mouse cursor now.
In both cases, the target cursor and the position cursor can be moved independently though.

Alternatively, you can also simply open the sector map and double click on any position in the sector. This will also issue a move to position command.
gunman127 wrote:
Sat, 8. May 21, 14:26
ANY ship told to move to ANY point will go to 0,0,0 , in the corret sector at least
Please check how you enter the coordinates. As explained above, using the numpad keys works fine and doubleclicking on the map to select the position works, too.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

gunman127
x4

Post by gunman127 » Sat, 8. May 21, 17:37

This is a regression from X3AP !

My normal operaitons in AP involved having a Guppy carrying a Sturgeon jump and fly to a position, then the same on the way out after trading. Always worked fine in AP

Can we have this flagged as something to be fixed in a patch?

all_other_names_taken
x3tc

Post by all_other_names_taken » Sat, 8. May 21, 22:10

The OP is right. I too was caught off guard by this CHANGED behavior from X3AP.
#1: forget about numpad keys!
X3AP way: select the Move To Position command; Sector selector opens; Select sector; Sector map opens; if you don't touch numpad and only use up/down arrows to go through object list, the target for the command moves with it (so if you select a station or a ship and press Enter, the commanded ship will go to that position)
X3FL way: do the same; don't touch the numpad keys; whatever object you select on the right, the target for moving stays at the center of the sector so when you press Enter, regardless of which object you had selected the commanded ship will go to the center of the sector.
The behavior is definitely not "the same as it's always been", so please stop saying that.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 8. May 21, 22:19

The reason for the change was so selecting the position with the mouse works

In X3AP
When its locked into an object the mouse doesnt allow selection until you first move the cursor with the num pad

This was changed in FLnso you can use the mouse straight away to select the position

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Sun, 9. May 21, 04:52

This is a minor deviance, not a bug. We will have to get used to it. :)

ex-deathevn

Post by ex-deathevn » Sun, 9. May 21, 07:35

If it helps as a workaround, as soon as the Map screen is open press 5 on the Numpad to force the position to lock onto whatever you're trying to select in the ship/station list, and then scroll through what you're trying to target with the Move to Position orders from there. This did annoy me initially but it's at least a way to still get it to work.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Sun, 9. May 21, 11:52

ex-deathevn wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 07:35
If it helps as a workaround, as soon as the Map screen is open press 5 on the Numpad to force the position to lock onto whatever you're trying to select in the ship/station list, and then scroll through what you're trying to target with the Move to Position orders from there. This did annoy me initially but it's at least a way to still get it to work.
Thank you! That really helps. :)

Being able to mouse click on the map to move to position is really nice, but we are too old school and used to give commands using keyboard.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”