Any changes to bailing chances/mechanics? - improvements in future update

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

ZX9000
x3

Any changes to bailing chances/mechanics? - improvements in future update

Post by ZX9000 » Fri, 7. May 21, 19:28

As someone playing a bit piratey, I'm wondering if the npc bailing mechanics is roughly the same as the somewhat nebulous mechanics of previous games, or if things have been adjusted in any significant way? Not that I remember how it worked before, having usually played with mods with their own rules, but are old discussions from TC and AP still valid?

tld;dr: what does it take to get the big armored TSs to bail!? :rant:

Aranov
x4

Re: Any changes to bailing chances/mechanics?

Post by Aranov » Fri, 7. May 21, 21:55

Have you tried asking politely?
Seems random bailing is a thing of the past, and now you need to ask your target to surrender. Been making bank of the new armored ts this way using just a nemesis.
Doesn't all ways work, some pilots are too stubborn, on the other hand some will jump ship before you even open fire.
Even if they don't bail at first, they will attack you making it easy to catch them as they won't flee. And still keep asking every so often as you shoot them.

laux
x3tc

Post by laux » Fri, 7. May 21, 23:15

I can confirm that. I was asking a pilot for a mission and accidentally pressed the wrong button. The ship was instantly mine :o

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 7. May 21, 23:16

normal bailing should work correctly in the next update.

the only real changes are that any of your ships in sector can now trigger bailing, and having System Override software can increase your chance of a bail

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 7. May 21, 23:22

IIRC TC Bailing mechanics work thusly**:
*M3/4/5/8 combat ships, along with basic TS & TP types; there may be some others
Spoiler
Show
There is a random %age chance for any [randomly-spawned, not Plot- or story-critical ship*] to bail. This is modified by the below:
  • If your ship is significantly stronger in class or weapon (potential) dmg you get a bonus**
  • If you have decently high /fight/ rank you get a bonus
  • If <target> pilot has sufficiently high morale, that counteracts your bonus
  • if <target> has a significantly stronger ship than you, that counteracts your bonus (at least initially)
  • Once <target>'s shields are down* & hull is reduced to <~87% <target> will start making bail checks at intervals each time their hull is damaged
  • Once <target>'s hull is reduced to (IIRC) <50%, <30% & <5% <target> makes more bail checks**
  • If a huge amount of hull dmg has been delivered in one blow (eg from a large missile strike or concentrated hvy gunfire) you get a bonus (there's a limited time window for this to avoid exploiting slow ship capture)*

IIRC Cycrow stated specifically that comming to 'surrender' didn't work at all in previous vanilla X3 games (tho it certainly used to in X2); however it now does.. /once!/ Spamming 'Surrender!' multiple times won't help if the initial try failed :(
*This is mitigated if using Ion-D's against <target> shields, which results in an effective counter to your bonus (presumably <target> isn't that bothered by non-lethal fire)

**I'm unsure of the mechanics of how these work without spending a long time searching thru old threads: they may be a pilot morale reduction or increased frequency of checks; however the outcome is roughly the same
Once the game settles down from its initial release glitches & hence fixes I may do another Wiki page or two.. once I've researched things properly
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Ramdat
x3ap

Post by Ramdat » Sat, 8. May 21, 01:43

Cycrow wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 23:16

the only real changes are that any of your ships in sector can now trigger bailing, and having System Override software can increase your chance of a bail
When will the next update be available?

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 8. May 21, 02:06

Ramdat wrote:
Sat, 8. May 21, 01:43
When will the next update be available?
Soon (TM) ;)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Sat, 8. May 21, 03:43

Cycrow wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 23:16

God damn I love you guys.

Xe-131
x4

Post by Xe-131 » Sat, 8. May 21, 04:06

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 23:22
Spoiler
Show
IIRC Cycrow stated specifically that comming to 'surrender' didn't work at all in previous vanilla X3 games (tho it certainly used to in X2); however it now does.. /once!/ Spamming 'Surrender!' multiple times won't help if the initial try failed :(
I've had a pilot refuse to surrender at ~50% when I demanded it, and then when I asked again at ~15% they did! Maybe the "spamming" part onl doesn't work if you don't do any extra damage inbetween "requests to the pilot" 8)

ZX9000
x3

Post by ZX9000 » Sat, 8. May 21, 17:41

Lots of good info here, thanks. Looking forward to the update :) Never thought about using surrender, forgot it was an option. From a very small sample size it seems hull damage affects chance of acceptance. Which is natural.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”