Boreas Memorial 2.0!

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Do you agree with the stat changes?

No
50%
Yes
50%

Total votes: 32

Klord
x3ap

Boreas Memorial 2.0!

Post by Klord » Mon, 10. May 21, 05:51

So the beloved Boreas got hit again :|

Shielding
> 10 GJ shielding in TC
> 8 GJ shielding in AP
> 6 GJ shielding in FL

IMO Boreas was the only fly worthy destroyer in X3 and now it has the lowest shielding for its class. Heck even Teladi and Terran M7s have better shielding, turn rate and speed !

Weapons
> 40 weapons in TC/ AP
> 26 weapons in FL

Pirate Brig and Yaki Akuma are the only M2s with 6 GJ shielding but they got 42 guns each.

Now we know that Boreas got a little buff to speed & steering, but this make the ship virtually useless in both OOS and IS combat specially in the hands of AI.
Havent seen a ship which got this much nerfed in entire X universe. Why so much hatred?
Last edited by Klord on Mon, 10. May 21, 22:29, edited 3 times in total.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

Raptor34
x4

Re: Boreas Memorial 2.0 !

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 10. May 21, 06:52

Isn't the Boreas the smallest destroyer?

JcJet
x4

Post by JcJet » Mon, 10. May 21, 09:11

You're not supposed to get hit by anything big when when flying Boreas :)

Le Boron Chétif
x3ap

Post by Le Boron Chétif » Mon, 10. May 21, 09:34

I could live with three shields instead of four, but without that awesome broadside, it can't be the go-to M2 player ship anymore... Where does that leave us?

- Odysseus is still awesome, but IMO it takes some engine tuning and rudder optimisation to be fun to fly (happily I didn't use the crates I found so far, keeping them for my future main ship!)
- I never flew the Akuma before but it seems pretty decent, good speed and well equiped against fighters
- I personally used to dislike the Terran capital ships on account of the slowness of their PSP's, but perhaps something to explore again in the absence of the Boreas...
- The Megalodon is huge and enemy shots hardly ever miss it, but it is extremely powerful
- I always wanted to love the Pteranodon, but the PALC were rather a disappointment - hard to find and not that effective.. Though if they become easier to find or produce in FL, or got buffed to some extent?
:boron: Blub?

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 10. May 21, 09:57

Le Boron Chétif wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 09:34
I could live with three shields instead of four, but without that awesome broadside, it can't be the go-to M2 player ship anymore... Where does that leave us?

- Odysseus is still awesome, but IMO it takes some engine tuning and rudder optimisation to be fun to fly (happily I didn't use the crates I found so far, keeping them for my future main ship!)
- I never flew the Akuma before but it seems pretty decent, good speed and well equiped against fighters
- I personally used to dislike the Terran capital ships on account of the slowness of their PSP's, but perhaps something to explore again in the absence of the Boreas...
- The Megalodon is huge and enemy shots hardly ever miss it, but it is extremely powerful
- I always wanted to love the Pteranodon, but the PALC were rather a disappointment - hard to find and not that effective.. Though if they become easier to find or produce in FL, or got buffed to some extent?
So what you're saying is its balanced now?

Le Boron Chétif
x3ap

Post by Le Boron Chétif » Mon, 10. May 21, 10:19

No, just saying I'll miss my favourite player M2 and thinking out loud about the next best ones. Looking for opinions on this too of course!

zamiel
x4

Post by zamiel » Mon, 10. May 21, 14:41

Le Boron Chétif wrote:
Since X3AP and the availability of overtuning rudder terran capships are the best exactly because PSP. It has a 20s reload and with rudder tuning it's enough to turn and use the batteries on the other side then turn back. They effectively can bear 24 guns on the enemy instead of 16.
I found a lot of rudders in my game (upward 20+) and I probably will be able to overcharge all those shots as well, which is more than enough to kill any enemy in one reload cycle.

With SSCs being less annoying better flaks, it's hard to find more effective capships.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Mon, 10. May 21, 15:19

It IS a light destroyer with fair amount of shielding, according to the encyclopedia, so as much as I'm sad about the nerf, it is long overdue.

If you are looking for another M2, the boron ray is pretty much the same as the old Boreas except larger by a notch. Odysseus shreds if you can get it up close (PSG >>>>>>>> anything else in the universe in terms of breaking shields).

Speaking of which, is the Xenon I in the game? Is it still an "I-win" ship? Maybe I'm bias cause that's my favorite ship, but if I can call in an Xenon I in the middle of an invasion, I should officially win the game.

Also for commonwealth M2s, The ones that can switch between PPC & GC is miles ahead of those that cannot (hence the ray is hugely underrated).

Le Boron Chétif
x3ap

Post by Le Boron Chétif » Mon, 10. May 21, 15:28

zamiel wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 14:41
Le Boron Chétif wrote:
Since X3AP and the availability of overtuning rudder terran capships are the best exactly because PSP. It has a 20s reload and with rudder tuning it's enough to turn and use the batteries on the other side then turn back. They effectively can bear 24 guns on the enemy instead of 16.
I found a lot of rudders in my game (upward 20+) and I probably will be able to overcharge all those shots as well, which is more than enough to kill any enemy in one reload cycle.

With SSCs being less annoying better flaks, it's hard to find more effective capships.
Interesting, never thought of that technic! Must be a fun way to clean up a Xenon core sector :twisted:

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Mon, 10. May 21, 15:59

Flew into Xenon sector 101 to check... Yep the I is still the I-win ship.

:lol: I sleep well tonight.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:36

I don't think there's any hatred for it, it's that the lore explicitly says that it's a light destroyer, not a better-at-everything destroyer. It simply wasn't balanced at first, and might not have been nerfed to its rightful state in AP due to the Argon needing an answer to powerful Terran capitals for the war to remain a stalemate which the player can influence.

I think the intended role might be 'heavy strike' (whatever exactly that means) alongside M7Ms, or home sector patrol due to its speed relative to other M2s. It can show up and travel to the defence of a 'hard' location like a station relatively quickly.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Mon, 10. May 21, 22:28

There are Terran and Teladi M7s with similar/better shielding but with more speed and turn rate. As someone stated above, dont mind loosing a bit of shielding, but loosing 14 guns is a bit too much.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

zamiel
x4

Post by zamiel » Tue, 11. May 21, 06:18

Klord wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 22:28
There are Terran and Teladi M7s with similar/better shielding but with more speed and turn rate. As someone stated above, dont mind loosing a bit of shielding, but loosing 14 guns is a bit too much.
Terran M7 can only use MAML and teladi are stuck with 1kJ/s weapon gen, they really aren't comparable.
The price and manufacturing cost/time should be cut back for Boreas though (about halved), so it could fill a niche instead of being redundant.

Routerman
x3tc

Re: Boreas Memorial 2.0!

Post by Routerman » Sat, 15. May 21, 02:32

hehe looks like nerv and buffs on WoW/Dota/Lol until nobody likes a character anymore that was used frequently.

But for real i agree that the nerv is a bit too much.
Looking at my background i was just finished AP last week and was very funny surprised seeing FL.
So i just jumped in to contiunue while i have everything in mind.
I played the Boreas in TC and i feeled in was weak in AP but i never discovered that it has 1 shild less.
But at least it has enough FirePower.
But now. Tbh it is nerved to much in my opinion.
It had be way more cooler if they had changed the Databank text.
Special if you know that there are some Databank entries that are completly wrong since TC...

To return to the begin.I am not angry but i don't like that most Devs nerv things that people liked frequently. In this case: changing the Database entry had been more confidence.

edit: i don't know how OOS is simulated. But compared to an M7 stay on 8GJ (4*2) and reducing ShildCharge and LaserCharge look more logical to me for a "light" destroyer.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 15. May 21, 03:01

The Boras is now the argon pteranodon and no more the big bad guy he was before.

But yeah i must admit it's a little bit useless now, i think the guns were nerfed a bit too much and you can't dock any fighter to it, but with slightly better beam weapons on the side. (If you compare to pteranodon)

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Fri, 16. Jul 21, 20:11

I finally got around to checking out the Boreas and it's actually quite powerful because it's now compatible with the Plasma Beam Cannon - both L-R and U-D. Similar to the Brigandine and Xenon I, it can cover two targets with 8 PBCs each and has near complete immunity to missiles. It used to be weak against fighters, but not anymore.

The PBCs aren't great OOS, but its speed is good for chasing M7s and M1s. In AI hands, its small size means it doesn't spend half the battle trying to avoid collisions.

Agimar
x3ap

Post by Agimar » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 07:30

At first sight, of course I wasn‘t happy with the new stats.

But without the changes I never would‘ve tried the Brig!

And indeed, PBC and speed on the Boreas is quite good!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”