Multiple Drills affect mining speed?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Hwitvlf

Multiple Drills affect mining speed?

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 01:05

Does anyone know if equipping multiple Mobile Drilling Systems to a single ship increases its mining speed OOS. I'm thinking that it does not, but I'm hoping someone can say for sure.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Re: Multiple Drills affect mining speed?

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 01:42

MDS only applies to largest ('map') asteroids, to break them down into smaller chunks that can then be further broken down into pieces small enough for collection. Plus MDS uses a /lot/ of charge, so having multiples on one ship is pointless as only one will shoot at a time. OOS the charge is irrelevant ofc, but the travel time between 'map' 'roids still is (tho to a lesser extent), plus the 'gathering' time for the mining ship to complete its script cycle at the first target

Therefore the answer to your query is almost certainly 'no' (tho multiple MDS-equipped ships may break down multiple map 'roids within a sector, if you wish to clear out that clutter)

Far more profitable is to place mines on the 'roids: that'll give a conssstant income :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 02:45

Thanks Snafu_X3 :) That's pretty much what I would expect, but just checking in case. In Litcube's mod, the drills attacked the chunks and earned minerals as they destroyed them so equipping multiples sped up the process.

I made a huge complex that ended up with a serious Silicon deficit because I misunderstood the factory upgrade process. I thought I'd add some miners in hopes to make up some of the deficit while waiting for the construction of permanent mines..

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 02:56

The drill won't make much change especially OOS.

In sector it's a bit different as i looked at my many Falcon clean the unkonwn sector near Getsufune, having a bit of fun watching them like ants collect all those rocks and yeah, it's a bit faster if you put more than one PAC. But once again, most of the time is lost at something else than break the rocks, so don't expect much gain, and only IS what isn't really optimal to mine cause of collisions.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 02:58

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 02:45
Thanks Snafu_X3 :) That's pretty much what I would expect, but just checking in case. In Litcube's mod, the drills attacked the chunks and earned minerals as they destroyed them so equipping multiples sped up the process.
OOS (or maybe even IS; I've never tested) MDS may still function as generic rock-breaking guns, but why go to that expense when PAC or IRE will do the same job? :)

Sadly I've never played with LU, but have had interesting times with XTM :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”