Nemesis - hard to hit an enemy

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Nekudotayim_
x4

Nemesis - hard to hit an enemy

Post by Nekudotayim_ » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 17:58

The lasers do shoot way too much to the left and right side of the target, which makes it difficult to even hit an enemy, which is close by.

Am I missing something? I tried all targeting options.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Re: Nemesis - hard to hit an enemy

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 18:19

No, it's a terrible ship. The only thing it can hit is a station (hint) If you try to attack fighters with it, you're more likely to win by causing them to crash into you (hint 2)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 18:20

Try using the 'ctrl' key to fire your weapons. I think it was reported that firing with the mouse cursor was not as precise as firing with the keyboard controls.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 18:29

This has been discussed in several posts. The simple version is you need to enable "Auto Aim" mode and then use the "Boresight fire" button or the auto aim wont work. Personally, after years of NOT using auto aim because I enjoyed the challenge, I switched to auto because many of the M6 and M7 ships are unusable playerships for the very reason you mention. I just swapped the normal fire and Boresight fire in the control configuration.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 19:03

I ended up recycling the one you get as part of the plot once it was done. As an M6 it's one of the worst ships out there, it has the second smallest cargo bay and isn't good at anything. Even way back in X2 when it could mount the GPSG, it was hamstrung by its tiny laser generator which meant it could only fire it in very short bursts.

Nekudotayim_
x4

Post by Nekudotayim_ » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 21:04

If that is such a well known issue, why this has not been addressed yet?

I am also a bit confused now. When I noticed the Nemesis to be part of my property I was like "Hey! Stop gifting me everything, I want to build up myself!" Then I was kind of shocked to see, how bad it actually is and now I do not know, what to think.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 21:37

The issue is a core part of each ships design and how the engine handles weapons. The M6 in general is supposed to be a capital killer, not an anti fighter ship. You can hit capitals just fine with the Nemesis, but using it against fighters is rather like trying to use a destroyer's main guns to hit a dive bomber.

This game is insanely old as games go so I'm just happy Egosoft still maintains a forum and fans care to make expansions like FL. :)

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sun, 13. Feb 22, 05:18

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 12. Feb 22, 21:37
The issue is a core part of each ships design and how the engine handles weapons. The M6 in general is supposed to be a capital killer, not an anti fighter ship. You can hit capitals just fine with the Nemesis, but using it against fighters is rather like trying to use a destroyer's main guns to hit a dive bomber.

This game is insanely old as games go so I'm just happy Egosoft still maintains a forum and fans care to make expansions like FL. :)
That is unless when you arm your M6s you include the Plasma Burst Generator, with a few of those you can make short work of any fighters you go up against. That's why Terran and Xenon M6s suck against fighters; they lack an equivalent weapon.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Sun, 13. Feb 22, 06:21

The nemesis one of the worse M6 in the game to personally fly in, as it gets a whooping 600 cargobay space that barely leaves any room for E-cells, terrible gun placement and speed.

Trying to hit M4 and M5 with an M6 is just a nightmare, especially with corvette weapons (CIG & ISR). If you goal is to kill fighters in an M6, try to outfit your ship with PRG, PBG and PBE. They are close to instant hit at close/medium range. However, since the nemesis cannot fly fast enough to catch up with most ships smaller than an M3, it's still terrible at the job regardless.

I don't think this is an issue but more of a ship difference. The vidar, kogarasu maru, hyperion, Acinonyx for example are all excellent. It's part of the fun (personally, my main fun) to pilot all the ships and discover hidden quirkiness of each of them.

Nekudotayim_
x4

Post by Nekudotayim_ » Sun, 13. Feb 22, 15:15

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 12. Feb 22, 18:29
This has been discussed in several posts. The simple version is you need to enable "Auto Aim" mode and then use the "Boresight fire" button or the auto aim wont work. Personally, after years of NOT using auto aim because I enjoyed the challenge, I switched to auto because many of the M6 and M7 ships are unusable playerships for the very reason you mention. I just swapped the normal fire and Boresight fire in the control configuration.
Actually, after getting used to the offset of the weapons including your suggestion as well as always making sure, that the enemy moving direction is horizontally aligned on my screen, I am handling fighters pretty well. I also just defeated a Q with the Nemesis. That ship is pretty good.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Mon, 14. Feb 22, 05:09

Nekudotayim_ wrote:
Sun, 13. Feb 22, 15:15
Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 12. Feb 22, 18:29
Actually, after getting used to the offset of the weapons including your suggestion as well as always making sure, that the enemy moving direction is horizontally aligned on my screen, I am handling fighters pretty well. I also just defeated a Q with the Nemesis. That ship is pretty good.
If you can get lucky with engine tunings, the Heavy Nemesis can easily decimate Q's in early game. Especially with extra speed. I got lucky on one play through, got one in the prologue area. Kept it. I took on several Q's dogfighting them with it, managed to shred there shields before they could actually hurt me. That extra slot of 200mj shields over the standard really helps. Plus better weapons energy on it.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Nuit
x3tc

Post by Nuit » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:19

Nekudotayim_ wrote:
Sun, 13. Feb 22, 15:15
In it's original range, the nemesis is pretty much one of the 3 best in it's class, which means purely the standard M6.
But people tend to compare it to Ships of other classes in the similar size category, like M6+, or their "Enhanced" versions, or special ships like the Hyperion, Acinonyx or the newest wet dream of some pilots namely the Kogarasu Maru (which are just labeled M6 in lack of an appropriate own class).
M6+ are tripple the price of a standard M6 and especially the last 3 named mentions have a base price tag which is more than 6 times of the standard M6 alone.
Of course there are cutbacks. Same thing if you buy a car for 20k or you buy a car for 140k. Nobody expects the tech stats of a Lamborghini or Porsche sports car when buying a mid range Toyota or Volkswagen.

Cheers,
Nuit
Spoiler
Show
P.S.: there have been records of people falling off their chairs, when first seeing an actual price tag on a shipyard for the Acinonyx when unlocking it for sale during the diplomacy options: Whoopin 41 Million Credits !!! :D
Yes, you read correctly the so labeled "M6", is in the same price category like most M7.
Hitman - In Space

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:41

Why even bother with the Acinonyx when the Maru is free? :lol:

iXenon

Post by iXenon » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 16:11

Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:41
It depends. I choose the commonwealth side and wasn't able to get Maru at the first attempt. It has Hull Polarizing Device and my marines weren't able to cut the hull. Boarding Pods solve that problem in general, but there are only two M6 ships that could launch them - Acinonyx and Maru. So, to get Maru you have to have Maru :) or Acinonyx. I was lucky to find the last one and it helped me to get Maru after that.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 22:21

Sovereign01 wrote:
Lol, my Acinonyx was definitely free. At least the first one. I had to build the second one. :lol:
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Wed, 10. Aug 22, 02:33

iXenon wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 16:11
Sovereign01 wrote:
It depends. I choose the commonwealth side and wasn't able to get Maru at the first attempt. It has Hull Polarizing Device and my marines weren't able to cut the hull. Boarding Pods solve that problem in general, but there are only two M6 ships that could launch them - Acinonyx and Maru. So, to get Maru you have to have Maru :) or Acinonyx. I was lucky to find the last one and it helped me to get Maru after that.
If you got one, the Carrack might be worth trying with. Its got decent turning and speed. And can fire boarding pods.
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 10. Aug 22, 04:14

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Wed, 10. Aug 22, 02:33
iXenon wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 16:11
Sovereign01 wrote:
If you got one, the Carrack might be worth trying with. Its got decent turning and speed. And can fire boarding pods.
I do have one (when my standing with Pirates was much higher I bought one of every ship as well as factory blueprints :D ), I don't know if it shares the Brigantine's problem of the low fire rate, there seemed to be long cooldown on pods meaning you could only launch one at a time instead of all simultaneously the way you could with an M7M. And the Carrack's shields suck :D

iXenon

Post by iXenon » Wed, 10. Aug 22, 08:26

Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 10. Aug 22, 04:14
I don't know if it shares the Brigantine's problem of the low fire rate, there seemed to be long cooldown on pods meaning you could only launch one at a time instead of all simultaneously the way you could with an M7M.
I believe this is a "missile" (the pods are missiles) property and could be find in the game encyclopedia. It shows the delay you can launch the missiles with. Anyway, on any ship that could launch boarding pods you can use "Piracy menu" (5) and it will launch all pods at the same time. Maru, Carrack, whatever - doesn't matter, it works for any ship. :wink:

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 19. Aug 22, 16:04

iXenon wrote:
Wed, 10. Aug 22, 08:26
Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 10. Aug 22, 04:14
I don't know if it shares the Brigantine's problem of the low fire rate, there seemed to be long cooldown on pods meaning you could only launch one at a time instead of all simultaneously the way you could with an M7M.
I believe this is a "missile" (the pods are missiles) property and could be find in the game encyclopedia. It shows the delay you can launch the missiles with. Anyway, on any ship that could launch boarding pods you can use "Piracy menu" (5) and it will launch all pods at the same time. Maru, Carrack, whatever - doesn't matter, it works for any ship. :wink:
That's where I must have been going wrong then, I was firing them manually because it was easier while controlling the main guns. On the Brig the launching point seemed to be quite far back meaning you had to be right on top of the target to guarantee a hit- certainly when I was boarding a Boreas I struggled with that. In the end I took it with the trusty Pteranodon/Sirokos combo.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”