Best Buy Best Selling

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

phantomrock2
x4

Best Buy Best Selling

Post by phantomrock2 » Sat, 5. Mar 22, 03:19

Anyone here having a problem with BESTBUY / BESTSELLING arresting the computer crashing the game when accessed OOS and In-Sector?
[" thank you "]

DanKara
x4

Re: Best Buy Best Selling

Post by DanKara » Sat, 5. Mar 22, 05:23

If you mean seemingly random freezes of the game after using the Best-Buy-Locator or the Best-Sell-Locator, yes I had plenty of those. At least until I stopped using them.
It was suggested to me, that this might relate to the multi-sector-coverage (adjustable) or the availability of Barter/BlackMarket-prices or double shipments from your and npc ships. Don't know...

phantomrock2
x4

Post by phantomrock2 » Sat, 5. Mar 22, 14:19

DanKara wrote:
Sat, 5. Mar 22, 05:23
If you mean seemingly random freezes of the game after using the Best-Buy-Locator or the Best-Sell-Locator, yes I had plenty of those. At least until I stopped using them.
It was suggested to me, that this might relate to the multi-sector-coverage (adjustable) or the availability of Barter/BlackMarket-prices or double shipments from your and npc ships. Don't know...
whew arrests my computer and freezes the game
[" thank you "]

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 5. Mar 22, 21:24

I don't have outright crashes. But I do notice a bit of lag when I open one or the other of those while flying around.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Tue, 8. Mar 22, 21:44

For me, it's the same as JimmyC: sometimes lags for 1 to 5 seconds when activated, but then back to normal. I assume the script poll's factories within range which causes lag dependent on what is nearby and CPU load from other sources.

If it freezes permanently every time for you, you might try posting a save and see if others have the same issue. If they don't, I would think it's a hardware/configuration issue on your system.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Wed, 9. Mar 22, 07:59

I don't think that 'data-collecting-lag' is the reason for the freezes I experienced.
Although such a freeze also occurred immediately after pressing [5] or [6], that is/was but a rare occasion. Most of the time the freezes happens ... minutes .... afterwards. It doesn't happen everytime. Happend after a dozen usages without issues one day and the other day right at the first usage. At times I could avoid a certain freeze (in a reload) when I ignored my Traders for a long while, so the found 'best sell' may have expired due to other deliveries...
I am still (only) guessing, that the Best-Buy/Sell-Locators are at fault - without obvious evidence, only observations.

Due to excessive blueprint-collecting up until recently I only used MORT's for trading. Those raised my rank in one game to 'Magnat' (26) and 'Mogul' (25) in my current game within 20 or 15 ingame-days. So lots of manual trades... and none automated.

In the other game I stopped using the locators mid-summer '21 and played some hundreds of hours without any technical issue in 1.1 and 1.2. After 1.3 I started to use the locators once again in my current game and after a short while, the freezes were back. Stopped their use once again - and played some hundreds of houres more without issues. (Well, aside of that one time I had that shader/LFL-freeze on entering a sector, discount that once in a thousand hours.)

I am not a Tech-Geek, and my computer is getting old (again). However, because of the long stretches of unhindered playing in this (and other games) I would not suspect Hardware or Configuration issues on my side ...
But will think about providing a near-freeze-save in the future. (Maybe even a save with 'just one more' for the different Collectors, Traveler, Influental, Xtreme achievments, if you wish so. :twisted: )

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Fri, 11. Mar 22, 19:19

Haven't had anything like that happen.
I play on Core2Duo era PC so I'm not sure if hardware age is a factor. X3 is an old game that was designed for hardware from its day. If you happen to be using any mods- worth checking those first. :)

Martin Head
xr

Post by Martin Head » Sat, 12. Mar 22, 11:27

I don't know if this will be of any help. But a long time ago I had problems with TC randomly crashing in Windows XP, and having blue screens of death. But only in TC.

I had a clean out of the C: drive, removing stuff I did not need. Checked the Virtual drive settings, and found I had at some time set it manually.

I reset the Virtual drive settings back to letting Windows handle it. Then did a drive defrag.

The random crashes then stopped. I don't know which of the above actually fixed it.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Sat, 12. Mar 22, 12:31

Martin Head wrote:
Sat, 12. Mar 22, 11:27
I remember 'bluescreens' in the boxed version of X3TC. However, think those were gone in later patches. Certainly never had one on Steam.
'Virtual Drive'-Setting: Have no clue, but don't think I use such (on purpose) - you see I am an idiot.

Martin Head
xr

Post by Martin Head » Mon, 14. Mar 22, 10:23

DanKara wrote:
Sat, 12. Mar 22, 12:31
Martin Head wrote:
Sat, 12. Mar 22, 11:27
I remember 'bluescreens' in the boxed version of X3TC. However, think those were gone in later patches. Certainly never had one on Steam.
'Virtual Drive'-Setting: Have no clue, but don't think I use such (on purpose) - you see I am an idiot.
I'm no expert when it come to Windows. But from WIndows XP onwards, Microsoft added a 'featrue' where if Windows knew it was about to crash. Instead of displaying the 'blue screen of death', it would just reboot the PC instead. However this feature could be turned off, so the error screen would be displayed instead. I don't know if you can still do this in Windows 10/11.
In Windows 7, It 's in System Properties/Advanced. Start up and Recovery/Settings. And there is a checkbox for 'automatically restart on a system failure'.

In Windows 7, If you do a search from the start menu for 'virtual memory' it will lead you to the virtual memory settings. Which should be set to allow Windows to control it.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Sat, 23. Jul 22, 05:36

Jimmy C wrote:
Sat, 5. Mar 22, 21:24
I don't have outright crashes. But I do notice a bit of lag when I open one or the other of those while flying around.
I'm about the same. But its not really that noticeable.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”