What game to play: TC, AP or FL?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Mikhaleech
x4

What game to play: TC, AP or FL?

Post by Mikhaleech » Fri, 6. May 22, 01:04

Personally a long time ago I played Reunion and enjoyed it much.
From 2019 switched to X4. But the last one is very casual and oversimpified. It is a very good game but it lacks of much details and instruments.
For now I want to try out X3. As far as I can see, the FL is a merged edition of TC and AP. Is that true? May I play FL only to see all the content TC and AP has?

ballti
x4

Re: What game to play: TC, AP or FL?

Post by ballti » Fri, 6. May 22, 05:51

If you looking for one big X-treme run, then OFC FL, otherwise warm up on TC, AP storyline and then FL.
Wargasm

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Fri, 6. May 22, 06:22

FL is not a 'merged edition of TC and AP'. Sure it has some features of both, but goes its own way.
Each game comes with its own set of story's, plots and features (vanilla). There is a mod, that 'imports TC into AP' (EMC4AP) and maybe a mod that 'imports TC+AP into FL' someday (EMC4FL, developement halted afaik)...

Out of the three, I would suggest FL for the feature with the greatest impact: DynamicReputation between the Player and all factions. Seemingly hated by most, but I like it (still surprises me). This seriously changes some fundamental things I've grown accustomed to (in any X). Another big thing is, you can become truely independent (produce your own station-kits, equip any ship of yours with any software you own).
Downside is ... FL is unfinished ('unpolished') ... and will seemingly get no further support (thats duly needed). :o A minor thing is, FL replaced some wellknown features (HVT, CLS) and added tons of features of its own mechanics (that I have still not fully understood or explored and which aren't explained / discussed much).
If you see FL as what it started out (yet another Total Conversion from Modders) or if you will go the ***modified*** way anyway, it will do fine.

With FL out of the scope (for Vanilla / Achievement Hunter), I would recommend TC for new players (as an entry point to the franchise) and also for longterm players (TC-HUB is like X4-Terraforming regarding time/investment; and let's not forget infamous 'DiD') and AP for players, who like short(er) termed goals. Both options are valid and nearly on par ...
Spoiler
Show
No, go TC first and AP second (and FL third anyway!)

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Mon, 23. May 22, 06:00

Unless you plan on a year long marathon in X3, I would play FL first. It has lots of "quality of life" improvements compared to earlier installments like the ship browser, complex planner, marine barracks, repair drones etc. The only thing it's lacking is the insanely long plots (collect a gazillion microchips to activate a hub gate :o ). Those quirky plots are fun, but FL's core gameplay is just better and more balanced than TC/AP.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 30. May 22, 16:05

If you want to enjoy the plots, play the titles in chronological order- it's just as well you don't have to do the hub plot over again, if you did it would mean all your hard work in TC would have been for nothing if it was undone the next game. Once the plots are done, FL is best simply because it builds upon the two prior games in terms of content and features, with the exception of the rep system which heavily penalises two sources of credits- station defence and building.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”