Problems Creating a Complex

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Scoob
x4

Problems Creating a Complex

Post by Scoob » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 23:21

Hey all,

So, I set up a few factories in close proximity, but I cannot appear to create a Complex out of them. I have a "Complex Construction Kit M" on a hired TL and when I deploy it, it lets me select the first Factory just fine, but the list is blank when it asks for the second factory. Stations are nice and close together.

I wondered if this was because my Stations are all L-Class (Crystal Fab L, Cahoona Bakery L and Cattle Ranch L) and the Complex Construction Kit is only an M/ However, I've checked multiple Shipyards (not all, but I've discovered quite a few) and this is no Complex Construction Kit L I can find.

I've set up plenty of Complexes in X3AP and prior without any issues, perhaps I'm missing something as I've mostly been playing X4 since it launched.

If I am doing something wrong, can someone step-by-step how to set up a Complex in FL, assuming there's something different to AP.

Cheers.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Problems Creating a Complex

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 23:40

You don't select the stations one at a time like in TC/AP, you first place the complex hub then select which stations to link.

So it's likely you have placed the hub too far from the stations you want to link, make sure it's placed closer

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 23:50

Cycrow wrote:
Wed, 19. Oct 22, 23:40
You don't select the stations one at a time like in TC/AP, you first place the complex hub then select which stations to link.

So it's likely you have placed the hub too far from the stations you want to link, make sure it's placed closer
I didn't appear to get an option to pick a position. I just got a select a station prompt... dunno what went wrong there, but it's working now, after a reload. Literally, upon first trying it I did not get the same UI I got after the reload.

Edit: good to know even FL still screws up the tubes sometimes, for the nostalgia value. I mean, I have a nice, direct line from the Dock to the Silicon mine, but it's done the tubes far from straight, partially blocking one of the docking arms lol. Oddly, the tubes don't even join the Docking Pylons at all... might try that again.

iXenon

Post by iXenon » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 07:54

Scoob wrote:
Wed, 19. Oct 22, 23:50
Edit: good to know even FL still screws up the tubes sometimes, for the nostalgia value. I mean, I have a nice, direct line from the Dock to the Silicon mine, but it's done the tubes far from straight, partially blocking one of the docking arms lol. Oddly, the tubes don't even join the Docking Pylons at all... might try that again.
Yeah, that's a problem. And now I always deploy stations and complexes OOS, it looks it works more accurate then. Even if I need to add something or change the complex it's possible to create a new one from already existing stations and then re-deploy them OOS via TL ship menu, not complex planner.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 12:47

iXenon wrote:
Thu, 20. Oct 22, 07:54
Yeah, that's a problem. And now I always deploy stations and complexes OOS, it looks it works more accurate then. Even if I need to add something or change the complex it's possible to create a new one from already existing stations and then re-deploy them OOS via TL ship menu, not complex planner.
I may try that next time. I did look at the complex planner briefly, but not actually used it. I'd not initially realised that FL changed so many things vs. AP. I might even give the plot another go.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 17:47

There is something buggy with the Dock Placement on Complexes. I built a complex and the Dock placement was perfect. I leave the sector and return, and the Dock has *moved* and is not longer connected with the tubes.

Basically, the tubes were entering the rear of the Dock, leaving the pylons clear. Now the Dock has been shifted backwards, and the pipe - NOT joining the Dock - are between the Pylons. Most odd!

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:08

I would recommend using the complex planner to build. It places the hub several km below the stations and aligns everything beautifully. You need Build MK3, but you can add your existing complex to the plan and the TL should move everything just right.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 24. Oct 22, 06:40

Another way to take advantage of the Complex Planner is to bring all the stations into the sector yourself, add all the stations into a complex plan, and use the Build Complex command to assemble them into a proper and compact complex. This saves a lot of time compared to letting a single TL buy and bring in every station for the plan using the command.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 24. Oct 22, 23:28

I started a fresh game yesterday, got enough to build my first Complex this evening. Went to use the Complex Planner, but the 20% charge put me over budget for my plans. So, I did it manually in the end.

Ran into the bug where the Docking Hub was initially placed perfectly, then moved backwards after a short while - I did NOT leave the sector this time! A bit annoying as the Complex was really neat, with all component stations nicely aligned and the Dock central but free and clear of obstructions. Now it looks messy. Ah well, not gonna sit here staring at it lol.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”