Teladi L mines destroy undocking ships.

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Brinnie
x3tc

Teladi L mines destroy undocking ships.

Post by Brinnie » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 10:39

I have deployed a few Teladi L mines in Tears of Greed Beta, 2 Ore and 2 Silicon, when my TSs or even TPs undock to leave they inevitably explode, everytime. If I order them to simply undock, they will detach without incident, but if I give any order that involves reaching a destination (even if on automated operations) they will collide with the station while performing the taking off manouvre.

Departing from one of the silicon mines will always cause a disaster while from the other one seems safe, one of the ore mines is also lethal. I had the brilliant idea of towing the mines closer to one another in order to make a complex so that I could extend the dock further away from the mass, but after a long amd tedious operation I have found that the game wont let me join the stations into a complex, it simply will not let me select them both.

I tried the complex builder and still no joy, when I get to the menu to build it, the option is missing. Oddly enough when I got the sector I used the complex builder to build a relatively large structure (42 stations) which inclulded 6 mines (the dodgy ones among them) and it completed it no problem. I had to scrap and reload as it connected the mines to the complex by stretching the complex tubes all across the map, a real mess, my fault cause I didn't reposition the mines before giving the order to construct, but the fact is that it did connect all the stations, including the mines.

So why won't it let me do a complex just with the 2 mines after I move them, is that the problem? I suppose I can easily find the answer to that by reloading.
Finally getting to the point, has anybody run into this problem?

- Are there "bad" asteroids that cause this problem when a mine is deployed on them?
- Is the sector that is faulty?
- Is there a way to undeploy the buggered up mines? If not can it self-destruct or do I need to nuke it?
- If I destroy it, will the asteroid respawn along with its undesirable effect?

ps. Undocking from the stations after having repositioned them didn't change the outcome, I also tried changing their orientation to stand them upright.

iXenon

Re: Teladi L mines destroy undocking ships.

Post by iXenon » Thu, 16. Feb 23, 13:07

I have such a problem with other Teladi stations, like trading station and so on. It isn't related to OM/SM, other stations can cause your ships to explode as well. But the good point, it happens in the sector with the stations only and never happens OOS. It forces me to spend a lot of time OOS, remotely managing my empire. Regarding to the complex, I believe you can always create a new one and add existing stations/mines there. And from my experience it also works better OOS, so you can leave the sector and then order your TL to arrange the stations, by combining them into a single complex. I agree that it's so annoying when this problem happens, but there is a workaround for that.

Martin Head
xr

Post by Martin Head » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 12:07

Brinnie wrote:
Thu, 16. Feb 23, 10:39
So why won't it let me do a complex just with the 2 mines after I move them, is that the problem? I suppose I can easily find the answer to that by reloading.
Are you using the same TL ship to try to build the complex? TL's don't always come with the 'Build software' pre-installed. I think you need the MK1 to deploy stations, But I don't know if you also need MK2 to deploy complex hubs.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 12:34

You can deploy individual stations without any software.

Mk1 is needed for complexes, both creating and extending.
Mk2 is for upgrading and repacking/moving
Mk3 is for automated complex buildng/extending

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 14:57

Thank you all for the advice.

The problem with making the two mines into a complex was not with TL nor with software but it was my mistake entirely. Although I have been playing FL for many hours I had not made a complex manually, I have built 4 complexes in my game but I always used the excellent complex builder function. Last time I constructed one was in AP and deployment was a bit different, not a lot but enough to confuse me when I tried to link these two mines.

On my attempt to try the complex builder (I have not checked it out) I think the two mines in question were too far from each other. I reloaded the game for the sake of this but my save was taken before I had moved the mines closer and I could not be bothered to tow them again, so as mentioned in my previous post the option to build was not there. The oddity was that if I built the complex adding the asteroids to it, rather than the already built mines, the complex builder would join them all up regardless of the distance, in my humble opinion a bit of a monstrosity.

The end of the story is that I have built a complex with 40+ stations and another separate one with 4 mines. I used the complex builder for both, the factory complex was built excellently (without problems and fast), the mines not quite as simply. I had not figured out my error in building a complex manually and to speed things up (I mean not towing mines into position) I choose 4 roids close to each other and I used the Complex Builder again to complete.

It did a fine job, except, it put one of the mines too close to another asteroid. Reportedly due some unexpected seismic activity said asteroid collided with the complex, making into a non-complex again. So... I reloaded the gamesave right after the complex was built and went to blow up the bastard ASAP, a lot of miners were saved.
Now I hope the asteroid will not form again or if it will, I hope it will do it somewhere far enough from my property, otherwise I will have to to detach the stations from the complex to tow them somewhere safer and reassemble them again.

ps. On one of my reload trials I have used Argon mines instead of Teladi and I had no problems with undocking ships.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 18. Feb 23, 15:59

if you are using Build MK3 to build the complex, then it should tow the asteroids into position so they close to the rest of the complex. It shouldn't just link them over a long distance. unless theres an issue with that particular mine model

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sun, 19. Feb 23, 00:01

Cycrow wrote:
Sat, 18. Feb 23, 15:59
if you are using Build MK3 to build the complex, then it should tow the asteroids into position so they close to the rest of the complex. It shouldn't just link them over a long distance. unless theres an issue with that particular mine model
It didn't do it in my case, I do not have the save anymore, and at this stage it will not recreate the scenario so I can't post a screenshot.
I have tried but if It does not let me connect any mines to the existing complex at all. However as far as the current game goes, it does not matter as I have progressed to the point which I described in my earlier post which is good for me.

I ll keep what you just said in mind for the next complex I build.

Cheers.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”