To All New X2 Players - Starting Out * SPOILER ? * UPDATED

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

To All New X2 Players - Starting Out * SPOILER ? * UPDATED

Post by Nanook » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 23:16

My advice to neophyte X2 players:

Start your game is easy mode. You will receive a fully maxed Discoverer with most essential avionics. Then do the first two plot missions offered. The first mission will net you ~15K credits. After you land at TerraCorp HQ near the end of the second mission, strip and sell all equipment from the Express you were loaned. After finishing the mission, sell the beatup Mercury you were given as a reward at the shipyard in Argon Prime.

You should now have close to 400K. Now fly to Kingdom End, which is west-north-north-north of Argon Prime. This is the Boron homeworld sector. Dock at the Royal Boron Dry-dock. You now have a decision to make, fight or trade. If you opt to fight, buy a Boron Mako, which is an M4 class fighter. If you opt to trade, buy a Boron Dolphin, a TS class freighter.

Whichever one you chose, fully upgrade the speed. Now, if you bought the Mako, get the best weapons and shield you can afford. If you got the Dolphin, go for the best shields you can afford. Don't be afraid to spend all your credits.

Once you have your ship of choice, transfer all the equipment you can from the Discoverer and then sell it. This will give you about 30K. Next, fly to the local Equipment Dock and sell the shields and weapons you stripped from the Discoverer. This should net you about 30K more.

If you have the Mako, you can use this cash to further upgrade it, or just save it for later. You are now equipped to go hunting pirates. Good Hunting! :D

If you have the Dolphin, you now have enough credits to start trading. This early in the game, you may be lucky to find a full silicon mine in Kingdom End. If so, buy as much silicon as you can. Now fly through the East Gate into Rolk's Drift. There are four stations there that buy silicon. With luck, you may be able to double, or even triple your investment. You are now off to a profitable trading career. Good Profitsss! :D

If you find this thread useful, please give a short reply so other new players will find it. Thanks :)

EDIT: Updated for 1.4. Note the change from 'Manta' to 'Dolphin' for the freighter choice. This is because TP ships are limited to L-class cargo in the latest patch, which precludes buying silicon and ore. Also, the price on the Mantas have increased dramatically, making them less attractive for starting out.
Last edited by Nanook on Mon, 20. Sep 04, 18:35, edited 4 times in total.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Wed, 11. Feb 04, 14:42

useful tips :)
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 11. Feb 04, 21:34

Thanks pixel. Over 400 views and no replies. I was beginning to think noone cared :( Thanks for bumping it up :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Wed, 11. Feb 04, 22:51

Or... you could start on normal and after you've stripped the hired express buy your own SPP...
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

djunker
x2

Post by djunker » Wed, 11. Feb 04, 23:58

do you have some tips on setting up a nice factory as well? :)

MarJay
x2

Post by MarJay » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:04

I think not many people replied because they've all gone to put the tips into practice! :)

MrA
x2

Post by MrA » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:09

Thanks for the suggestions Nanook :) .

djunker, try http://www.the-commander.com/index.htm & go to Downloads & then X2 Universe Economy. Very good articles IMO.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:18

djunker wrote:do you have some tips on setting up a nice factory as well? :)
Yeah, make lots of credits as a trader or fighter, then set up a SPP (Solar Power Plant) almost anywhere :)

Except President's End :lol:

Lot's of good info at the top of the board and other places on setting up factories. :)
Last edited by Nanook on Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

BDC
x2

Post by BDC » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:19

Cool, thanks for the tips!

:)

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 00:25

Yeah ditto, thanks dude.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

strain601
x2

Another tip from a neophyte

Post by strain601 » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 06:10

If you forget to strip and sell the equipment from the Express TP that you're given. You can pick up some odd-jobs from any Free Trading station.

I particularly like to take the jobs where people ask for rides to different stations. It's quick and easy and all I have to do is set my autopilot to dock at the destination and turn on the SETA.

A bit time-consuming at best, but it's still money in the bank.

xaviertwav
x2

Post by xaviertwav » Thu, 12. Feb 04, 08:05

thanks man, i found this to be really useful coz i m NOOB!!!!!
haven;t played any space sim in ages, (last one i played was FreeSpace 2) which was pretty good. Finally i can start some trading..heh 8)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 04:14

If you find this thread useful, please give a short reply so other new players will find it. Thanks :)

Orrah
x4

Post by Orrah » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 12:49

Thanks a lot for the tips there! Makes it a lot easier to get started off :D

I bought myself a Mako and have been capturing Pirate ships to fund my brand new SHINY power plant. :lol:

Thanks again!

squidinc
x2

Post by squidinc » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 13:39

cheers :)
really useful tips, I think I'll have a go

( new to this game, almost gave up )

another quick question ( probably been asked before a million times )
is going through the whole story really necessary? do the khaak attack any way if I don't go beyond mission 2? I've no real interest in the story :)

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 14:41

squidinc wrote:

another quick question ( probably been asked before a million times )
is going through the whole story really necessary? do the khaak attack any way if I don't go beyond mission 2? I've no real interest in the story :)
Yes they will eventually attack regardless of what you do.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 14:48

IIRC there's two triggers. One is story based and one is money based.

However I'm not sure how the money one works.

Is it when you've got a net worth of X amount, or when you're carrying around x amount?
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Beans
x2

Post by Beans » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 14:48

nice, ta

*runs off to play*

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 13. Feb 04, 18:45

The plot is totally ignorable. The Khaak will come anyway, and even if you do the plot, they don't go away. Ah, well, you needed a challenge anyway, right? :P

puzzler
x2

Post by puzzler » Sun, 15. Feb 04, 09:36

Really good advice this!!! Well Done :wink:

Flyer...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”