[X3AP] Not another X-Universe Sector Map! {Printable Version :)}

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MarvinTheMartian
x4

[X3AP] Not another X-Universe Sector Map! {Printable Version :)}

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Thu, 14. May 15, 10:48

There are many truly excellent interactive X universe maps but I've always come back to Nicholas Kabourakis' maps for their printability. Unfortunately, I can't find a version for AP and I found myself getting rather carried away in Excel so I've done my best to recreate it for AP 3.1

A couple of things bugged me about the TC version like not having the "true" coordinates as a result of trying to squeeze in the Terran sectors and a couple of typos so in this AP version it's the actual coordinates (I hope!). This version doesn't show pirate bases as they respawn in different locations after being destroyed but it does show the MO locations and Stock Exchanges instead.

Anyway, with full credit to Nicholas for the format and with a spoiler warning!:
X3AP 3.1 Printable Map v1.3 ** Updated link after Google changed access rules **

It's PDF format and set up to print in A3 landscape but should scale to A4 or letter. I'll find a more permanent home for the file later and update the link but let me know if there are any access issues.

Cheers,
Marv
Last edited by MarvinTheMartian on Sat, 11. Jun 22, 07:10, edited 11 times in total.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Fri, 15. May 15, 01:08

v0.2 is up with some text based icons and added a missing sector. Link updated

I know It's missing:
1. which Terran shipyards are super shipyards
2. Stock Exchanges
3. Boron Military Outposts
4. Berryl HQ and maybe a couple of others

If anyone want to offer up info on the above that will speed up v1.0 otherwise I'll upload another version once I have some time to get into the game again and verify the info.

Cheers
Marv

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Fri, 15. May 15, 01:50

This is quite nice.

I'd like to mount page two on some foamcore, and then print page three as a transparency, and hinge it across the top with some strips of Gaffer's tape as a flippable overlay as needed. Is that your intent?

First look, for about 15 minutes or so, and having it aside the browser as I type, It looks good in its parts. Player Sector is spoilerific, but I am glad it's there-- Name is variable on Player Choice. Doesn't faze me, but..

I am glad you gave HUB the vanilla location.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Fri, 15. May 15, 02:26

Thanks for the feedback

Page 2 was an after thought and is for people like me that don't really care about Terran sectors and think it clutters up the universe. Page 3 is to have a separate reference for Terran space and intended more as a way of understanding the layout of the Terran sectors as the are all squeezed in and overlapping in order to fit the universe as a whole so I don't think it'll work as an overlay but you might get that to work.

Having a map reveal everything is kind of a big spoiler which is why the player sector is there, I could leave it as a black box with a big :?: which will also deals with the naming issue?

[Edit]
V0.3 uploaded - Have renamed the player sector to keep it simple, fixed a couple of missing gates, added a race legend and a greneral tidy up.

Still missing most stock exchanges, a Boron Military Outpost or two and Terran space is missing Eq Docks, Military Outposts (or their equivalent) and probably a super shipyard

I'm considering marking the TOA gates differently so you can plan jumps better, although I'm not planning to add jump beacons.

It's good enough for my needs so I'll update it as I play and find these missing things but if anyone offers up this info I'll update it sooner.

Cheers
Marv

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sun, 17. May 15, 05:15

After receiving a couple of PMs with some info I've gone through it again adding all the stock markets so I think it's ready to be called v1!

There was a missing gate so there's the possibility there are some errors or omissions so shout if you spot anything or have any requests.

Cheers
Marv

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 17. May 15, 07:56

MarvinTheMartian wrote:Having a map reveal everything is kind of a big spoiler [...]
[...] so you can plan jumps better [...]
IMO, no spoilers is good, but you can't really "plan jumps" if you don't know where you can refuel the jump drive.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sun, 17. May 15, 09:08

ajax34i wrote:
MarvinTheMartian wrote:Having a map reveal everything is kind of a big spoiler [...]
[...] so you can plan jumps better [...]
IMO, no spoilers is good, but you can't really "plan jumps" if you don't know where you can refuel the jump drive.
Um, I don't follow your logic there I'm afraid, you put two quotes from me out of context.

If your point is that showing the location of the player sector somehow spoils the plot then I don't see how this is any different to someone seeing the full universe that has not explored it all for themselves.

The point about planning jumps was in relation to whether a terran sector actually had a jump gate or not so you can make the right ship choice or even whether to send one ahead to speed up the process - it's a moot point as some of those sectors have JBs and I don't know how consistent they are from game to game.

Anyway, this format is for a printed map so it's not possible to please everyone in terms of what it does and doesn't show and intended as a spiritual successor to Nicholas' maps which had plot sectors, derelict ships etc. I've added a spoiler warning to the link post to avoid doubt.
Last edited by MarvinTheMartian on Tue, 2. Jun 15, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.

blackmilan
xr

Post by blackmilan » Sun, 17. May 15, 12:29

Great work! I really like your map. Especially having two layouts one with the real coordinats and one separating commonwealth and terran sectors with a nice layout. This is cool idea. It is also great for people who really care about Terran sectors. :)
MarvinTheMartian wrote:... so shout if you spot anything or have any requests.
I think there is a connection from "Xenon Sector" ( 17 , 10 ) (North Gate) to "Xenon Core 023" ( 21 , 8 ) (South Gate) which is missing in v1. Maybe you can double check that in a future update.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 18. May 15, 05:21

blackmilan wrote:It is also great for people who really care about Terran sectors. :)
ha, for me it was about removing the Terran "clutter" from the universe but I also find pg3 helps give a clearer picture of how the Terran sectors hang together and might tempt me to interact there more.
blackmilan wrote:I think there is a connection from "Xenon Sector" ( 17 , 10 ) (North Gate) to "Xenon Core 023" ( 21 , 8 ) (South Gate) which is missing in v1. Maybe you can double check that in a future update.
Well spotted, thanks. v1.1 uploaded - even though sadly that makes for more clutter

v1.2 uploaded - just minor updates to the colours to be more readable when printed.
v1.3 corrects a spelling mistake :oops: and adds missing Stock Exchange in Mercenaries Rift

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Re: [X3AP] Not another X-Universe Sector Map! {Printable Version :)}

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Fri, 10. Jun 22, 10:17

Google changed the way permissions work on Drive files.

The link in the first post has been updated to their new format so should once again be available to all.

If you (the person who just requested access) or anyone can't view it then please PM me and I'll try again. After 18 years, I'm still playing X:U games and forum notifications still reach my inbox.

Thanks for taking an interest in my map :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 10. Jun 22, 16:51

Google spoketh on my click:
"Thou lack access privileges. Plea for grace or switch to more priviledged identity."

... or something like that. :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Sat, 11. Jun 22, 07:12

Dagnabbit. That serves me right fro trying to be clever and truncate the url.
should work now, sorry.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 11. Jun 22, 10:42

Confirmed. :)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Jun 22, 10:57

Heh, when the great jlehtone is looking at your X3 map, then you know that you are on a winner! :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”