Should I stay or should I go?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TerranJedi

Should I stay or should I go?

Post by TerranJedi » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 19:17

I originally played X2 a long time ago. Bought the game at Walmart and played a little bit here and there. I did come to these forums back then and installed some scripting mods (only way I was able to afford an M2 and M1). Fast forward to a few years ago when I decide to get a bundle on steam with X3 R, TC, AP but didn't have any time to actually play. Late last year finally got around to going through Reunion (anyone else think of it as X 2.5?). After finishing the main plot and Bala Gi missions jumped into TC. I've finished the Terran, Goner, New Home* and Final Fury* plots. Working on the Hub plot now (150k teladianium). I don't know how much more I want to do with my current TC game.

My question to y'all is do I start a new TC game with a different start (already did the Terran start) or do I move on to AP or FL or X4?

What are some of the major differences between TC and AP?

* - still need to buy the sector in New home and have to finish the final battle of FF but otherwise these are done

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Mar 23, 22:05

Stay if you are still having fun in-game, or go and move on if not. X3:AP is better refined than TC in many respects and introduces new assets, while X3:FL is quite different plot gameplay to TC in most respects.

X4 is a whole step higher in terms of game engine and API, but you need a reasonably good system to run it well.

As an aside, don't write off a fully upgraded X Rebirth as it ended up a fun game in and of itself - also there is a VR cutdown version of it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Sat, 4. Mar 23, 09:28

I think a big part of where to go next is what you enjoy. In terms of re-starting with a different start I don't think they're too different in the long run unless you change how you play your second time around. They mostly set the money/relation/location conditions around your early game, Notable exceptions are the Tormented Teladi and Poisoned Paranid starts, which each give you access to a special starting quest with a reward:
Spoiler
Show
an overtuned ship.
X3: AP is essentially an expansion to TC: more ships, more sectors, and extra features like the stock market. The plots are completely different; since the game takes place after TC you don't replay the same missions.

X3: FL is little different in that it changes a lot from AP as well as additions. There are new ships, sectors, and features, but also a lot of changes to existing ships, and the universe map. The tutorial plot starts you off with an HQ, which lets you utilize its features earlier and faster. It also builds ships a much faster than in TC or AP, which is nice.

I haven't played Rebirth yet, but it's on my list. X4 is fun too, but pretty different, and also relatively demanding on your PC.

Overall if you're enjoying the X3 experience and want to start again, I'd recommend trying AP, doubly so if your PC doesn't meet the minimum X4 reqs.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 5. Mar 23, 18:11

TerranJedi wrote:
Fri, 3. Mar 23, 19:17
What are some of the major differences between TC and AP?
The X3AP - Survival Guide provides a good overview about the differences between X3TC and X3AP.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”