about play X:BTF and X:T for the first time

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LordKane

about play X:BTF and X:T for the first time

Post by LordKane » Sat, 20. Jan 24, 08:03

I am about to dive into X:BTF and X:T for the first time ever and I have a few what might be odd questions.
I have tested the games on my Windows 11 laptop and they run fine so its not about that and I am aware 2.3 handled that little issue.

1. Is X:BTF and X:T be able to played with just the mouse and keyboard? I lack the space for a joystick at the moment so I am wondering if that is possible if its yes this leads to 1a.
1a. is it possible to rebind the throttle control to the mouse wheel?

2. are both games freeform with a plot? or is just BTF freeform with a plot and X:T is just freeform? Its not exactly clear.

That would about cover it for now I would appreciate any feedback hints or tips.

Fulgrymm
x4

Re: about play X:BTF and X:T for the first time

Post by Fulgrymm » Sat, 20. Jan 24, 09:01

1. Is playable with just M+K, but the flight controls are awkward IMO.

1a. I don't know.

2. X:BTF has a plot, X:T is freeform with no plots.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 20. Jan 24, 11:23

I've read that X:T has mission(s) that involve a Perseus. While probably way too tiny, short, and simple for a "story", that sounds like a once-in-playthrough thing, unlike the generic missions. But yes, overall, Xbtf has plot and X:T does not.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Sat, 20. Jan 24, 15:33

LordKane wrote:
Sat, 20. Jan 24, 08:03
1. Is X:BTF and X:T be able to played with just the mouse and keyboard? I lack the space for a joystick at the moment so I am wondering if that is possible if its yes this leads to 1a.

2. are both games freeform with a plot? or is just BTF freeform with a plot and X:T is just freeform? Its not exactly clear.
1: Yes, though steering can be difficult. Be sure to save before buying Rudder Optimization. Test out the steering, because you can actually turn too much if you buy too many. I believe you should buy no more than about 15 before testing the steering. It’s still a good idea to test anyways.

1a: No. Unfortunately both games don’t really allow for rebinding, except with a controller, and that’s still very limited, and there are quite a few things they forget to tell the player how to use. F4 activates the Ecliptic Projector, and Shift + J uses the SETA Boost Extension. I think the rest are in the controls menu.

2: X:BtF has a plot you can follow, however you can choose to ignore it. Just make sure you pay the Teladi back first before leaving Teladi space. X:T does not have a plot you can follow, however it does have the Perseus Mission, which offers a lot of great rewards, but is a huge pain to deal with. It won’t appear until your Combat Rank is at least Admiral, and your reputation is at least Paranid Friend of Priest King. Be careful when entering the sectors in and around Paranid Prime after reaching both ranks, as you might be forced into it. It’s also on a timer, so save frequently when attempting it

Also, one last piece of advice, in X:BtF, and X:T, Jumpgates are not invincible, you can destroy them, or they can be destroyed. 13 well-timed Hornet Missiles is enough to destroy anything in the game. TLs may also be a little stupid and crash into them, and blow them up. They also can telefrag them when entering their sector if you hired them, as they don’t move back to their spot until you come back. Also, don’t build too much. You can only have one TL, and you can carry only one Station, and they are very slow at times. As a person who built a station in every sector in both games, I can say with certainty, that it is pure torture, and I don’t recommend it.

LordKane

Post by LordKane » Sun, 21. Jan 24, 04:29

Tranxalive wrote:
Sat, 20. Jan 24, 15:33
LordKane wrote:
Sat, 20. Jan 24, 08:03

1: Yes, though steering can be difficult. Be sure to save before buying Rudder Optimization. Test out the steering, because you can actually turn too much if you buy too many. I believe you should buy no more than about 15 before testing the steering. It’s still a good idea to test anyways.

1a: No. Unfortunately both games don’t really allow for rebinding, except with a controller, and that’s still very limited, and there are quite a few things they forget to tell the player how to use. F4 activates the Ecliptic Projector, and Shift + J uses the SETA Boost Extension. I think the rest are in the controls menu.

2: X:BtF has a plot you can follow, however you can choose to ignore it. Just make sure you pay the Teladi back first before leaving Teladi space. X:T does not have a plot you can follow, however it does have the Perseus Mission, which offers a lot of great rewards, but is a huge pain to deal with. It won’t appear until your Combat Rank is at least Admiral, and your reputation is at least Paranid Friend of Priest King. Be careful when entering the sectors in and around Paranid Prime after reaching both ranks, as you might be forced into it. It’s also on a timer, so save frequently when attempting it

Also, one last piece of advice, in X:BtF, and X:T, Jumpgates are not invincible, you can destroy them, or they can be destroyed. 13 well-timed Hornet Missiles is enough to destroy anything in the game. TLs may also be a little stupid and crash into them, and blow them up. They also can telefrag them when entering their sector if you hired them, as they don’t move back to their spot until you come back. Also, don’t build too much. You can only have one TL, and you can carry only one Station, and they are very slow at times. As a person who built a station in every sector in both games, I can say with certainty, that it is pure torture, and I don’t recommend it.
1.No more then 15, noted

1a. damn it, I find A and Z really imprecise for throttle control but so be it.

EyMann_MachHin
x3ap

Post by EyMann_MachHin » Wed, 24. Jan 24, 01:20

You can use a game controller, but the in game config options leave a lot to be desired. You can install a VJoy device and Joystick Gremlin.
There is a youtube video describing the process, you just have to adapt it to X:BtF.
I had to use that, since I got a X-56 Rhino which installs as 2 devices and X:BtF, X:T and X2 only support one joystick device. Joystick Gremlin ties them together into one VJoy device and you can abritrarily map any excess buttons to keypresses that the game understands.

In X:T there are a handful 'special events' that occur, apart from the Perseus mission. Save Princess Menelaus or saving some trader, who lost ship control from crashing into an asteroid come to mind. But yeah, generally X:T is freeform.
Wie Bitte?!? "Pilot: Lehrling Leann Ohneaim" Image Gut die Person soll nur einen Frachter fliegen, aber echt jetzt!
:xbtf: :xt: :x2:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”