Need some help in changing targeting reticle colour

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Brinnie
x3tc

Need some help in changing targeting reticle colour

Post by Brinnie » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 17:49

I would like to change the colour of the targeting icon to make it more visible to me, I am colour blind and have difficulties in following it on certain backgrounds.

For AP I knew that I needed extracting the gui_master.dds and then edit it etc. but for FL it seems that the file is a kind of text file and the other 3 files gui_master_diff, gui_master_new, gui_master2
when I put them in the dds folder in main directory, or in the addon2 folder, don't get read. If I rename the one that I edited (gui_master_new.dds) and I put it in the main directory in the dds folder, it gets read but it messes up the cursor.

Could somebody point me in the right direction to achieve my goal?

Zeron-mk7
x3

Re: Need some help in changing targeting reticle colour

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 10:48

Try to compress texture into the .PCK format, when you put texture into to the mod or False patch, select "always compress" in the X3 Mod manager - "dds\gui_master.pck".
Also if you edit DDS texture, then if I remember correctly, you need to save DDS texture with DXT5.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 16:43

Hi Zeron

I have never used X3 Mod Manager, so have downloaded it and run it. At the end of the installation I get this message:

---------------------------
X3 ModManager
Some files required to run this program are missing. They are part of Visual Basic Runtime Libraries which can be downloaded from:
www.doubleshadow.wz.cz

Do you want to download and install them now?
Yes No

If I choose it says it can't open the page.

When I run the program anyway I get:

X3 ModManager
Error staring program: ():

File not found: x3mmext.dll
OK
Even though the file is in the program directory

I am using paint.net to edit dds files, it has worked for me on another occasion, although for another game

*** EDIT

I have looked better on http://x3mm.doubleshadow.wz.cz/download and I have found the 2 libraries required, downloaded and installed. One to the program's directory, the other one to system32 (it didn't ask me for a location).

Now the program starts, I'll have a go.

Thanks

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 19:19

Well I tried unpacking the file with the mod manager but the result is the same. As I said in my first post the gui_master.dds once extracted is a text file whose content is a mess to me ( like a lot of ASCII characters).

The other .dds look like variations of HUDs but I have no idea of what to do with them. the gui master new, for example, looks like the one that contains the icons for the HUD used by FL, could you be a bit more specific with regards of what I should with. Sorry but I am quite ignorant on the subject.

From what you said I would edit the gui master new file and then I would try to repack it, but to what, Gui_master_new.pck or gui_master.pck and if so where should I put the file?

Cheers

Zeron-mk7
x3

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 15:25

When you extracted DDS texture from CAT/DAT files it has .PCK format, for example simply rename it "gui_master.pck" to "gui_master.dds".
I also not sure, what files GUI/HUD need to edit, therefore better search in this topic [Index] Community Script & Mod Download Library for X3: Terran Conflict and X3:AP GUI/HUD mods and look in these mods, what files was modified.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 17:51

Yes I have followed your advice but I am pretty sure that something has changed since AP with regards to the customization that I am trying to do.
As far as I know (which isn't a lot) for AP the file to modify was gui_master.dds which is one of those that I have extracted, 4 in all with similar names, but although they have the same .dds ending, this one opens as a text file. The other 3 have the icons sets for the HUD and specifically those that I would like to modify.

I will keep researching online for this topic but I reckon that info pertaining to AP will not be much use to me since I really need be shown exactly what to do.

I thank you for your help regardless.

Zeron-mk7
x3

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Tue, 28. Dec 21, 16:40

Brinnie wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 17:51
As far as I know (which isn't a lot) for AP the file to modify was gui_master.dds which is one of those that I have extracted, 4 in all with similar names, but although they have the same .dds ending, this one opens as a text file.
Into the X3 game directory, in "addon2" folder, in the 02.cat file you found latest "gui_master.pck" for FL.
Simply extract "dds\gui_master.pck" with selected "Decompress" option in X3 Mod Manager and you got "gui_master.txt", then rename it to "gui_master.dds", now you get DDS texture.
When you want put back DDS texture into the mod/false patch, simply select in the X3 Mod Manager "always compress" option and mod manager will compress your DDS texture into the PCK format.
In "addon2" folder, in 01.cat, has texture "interface_template_blackpearl_diff", there also has some HUD elements.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 29. Dec 21, 12:20

Thanks Zeron
The first thing I was doing wrong was working on the wrong file, I am quite certain I had extracted the dds files from cat1, I can see the one that you indicated is the actual one.

However I am still having some issues. One with making the fake patch and two (obviously) with getting the edited file to work.
I am going to try GIMP for the editing, maybe paint.net is not suited to work with X3 files.

I'll try and get to grips with Gimp, I never used it before, and see what I can manage to do.

cheers

Zeron-mk7
x3

Post by Zeron-mk7 » Thu, 30. Dec 21, 15:49

Brinnie wrote:
Wed, 29. Dec 21, 12:20
However I am still having some issues. One with making the fake patch and two (obviously) with getting the edited file to work.
Here is information about False patch.
Use any program with DDS plugin (or something similar NVIDIA Texture Tools Exporter) and try to save DDS texture with DXT5, or DXT3, DXT1 options.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Thu, 30. Dec 21, 18:08

I am going to have to put my "project" on hold, it's doing my head in a bit :)

I have managed to extract, edit, repack and all that but I am not capable of getting it to work into the game, it's not for not trying hard enough.

I think I am not saving the dds with the right options (gimp for ex. has several choices for DXT5 alone plus mipmaps on or off etc.) or maybe I am not putting the file in the right place or both, but to

carry on by brute force and ignorance leaves me with too many combinations to try.

I thank you for your help, I'll gather some more info or enthusiasm and give it another go later or maybe manage to get hold of a ready made mod like the one in the nearby thread.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Sun, 6. Feb 22, 12:35

In the unlikely event that someone beside me is affected by colour blindness or is for another reason having difficulties with tracking the enemy targets with the red reticle on the dark background, this mod may prove very useful:

Pure X HUD viewtopic.php?f=201&t=439496#p5103985

In any case is a fine bit of work.

Thank you Johnydir for sharing it and you N8M4R3 for helping me to download it.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”