[MOD] X3FL Abandoned Ships: Expanded v1.1 (Updated)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Korventh
x3ap

[MOD] X3FL Abandoned Ships: Expanded v1.1 (Updated)

Post by Korventh » Tue, 7. Jun 22, 17:03

X3FL Abandoned Ships: Expanded v1.0 by Korventh
**HUGE thanks to Cycrow for helping me make this mod!**

***This mod is only compatible with official X3FL v1.3***

This mod changes how the abandoned ship spawner works in the game, allowing the player to find various rare weapons, capital ships, special ships and pandora crates throughout the universe.

This modification does the following:
- All ship types can now spawn as abandoned randomly in a sector, including capital ships.
- Abandoned capital ships can be claimed from the space suit.
- Crates with engine tuning, rudder optimization, rare weapons and shields can also be found randomly in any sector.
- Discoveries spawn sooner than vanilla.
- Xenon sectors contain more discoveries overall.

Image <--- v1.1
Version 1.1 released - change log
- Engine Tuning and Rudder Optimization can now spawn more instead of Special Discovery.
- Added more weapons and shields that can spawn in crates instead of Special Discovery.
- Changed spawning rates for ships, weapons and tunings to 10%, 30% and 20% respectively.

[Old versions]
Image <--- v1.0

Installation: Copy the "plugin.expguild.run.xml" file into your "steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict\addon2\scripts" then delete the PCK file of the same name.
In order to activate the script in-game, claim any discovery after installation. You don't need to start a new game to enable this mod.

To install latest version, just overwrite the older one with this file. New game is not needed.

Screenshots:
https://i.imgur.com/hHDDgQ0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ilnsk9i.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lGo0xIA.jpg

What was changed?
Vanilla version is limited to only pre-set ships, and then randomly spawns M3, M4 and M5 ships throughout the game. These ships are counted under "special discoveries" and there was a flat 20% chance to spawn a ship. If the 20% would be picked, then the script would roll a number again to pick which class of ship to spawn, in this case: 80% chance for a M5 or an M4 and 20% chance for an M3. The maximum amount of special discoveries in the game was limited to 5 in normal sectors and xenon sectors. A new special discovery would be generated after claiming an existing special discovery, but after 1 hour.

I changed my mod to work quite differently.
While being able to spawn all of the in-game ships, the chances to spawn any ship has been reduced to make it more realistic. Now, while there is still a flat 10% chance for the script to spawn a ship, it has only 20% chance to pick a TP, TS, TM, M3, M4, M5, M8 and 10% chance to pick any Capital ship class. That's right, there's 80% chance that it doesn't spawn anything even if it decides it's time to spawn a ship. In order to compensate, there can now be a maximum of 100 discoveries in both normal and xenon sectors, new one spawning 15 minutes after the player claims a special discovery. This means there will be a total of 100 random discoveries in your game after a few days of play-time, assuming you never claim any.

Some usage tips:
- Easiest way to find abandoned ships is via Exploration Guild. Buy Discovery Information and get in a very fast ship (Arrow, Starburst or Kestrel) then go to the specified sector and do the Map Sector command. Ships can spawn as much as 200km away form the center, depending on the sector, but if the Guild says that something is there, then it really is!
- Claiming capital ships from your spacesuit is preferable and all, but you will only get a barebones ship, meaning no lasers, shields, upgrades etc. Boarding the ship is therefore more profitable, as you will only trade a small amount of hull damage for a chance to get a fully decked out ship.
- Xenon sectors are now high risk - high reward. You may be able to find decent stuff in them, but getting said stuff out of the xenon sector is another story.

Known problems:
Claiming capital ships from the spacesuit can be tricky. They can't be claimed from the center but you will have to fly around it in your spacesuit to find the claiming spot. This has nothing to do with the script but something with the capital ships' hitboxes?
Mod is incompatible with the unofficial patch due to file change.
Last edited by Korventh on Mon, 12. Dec 22, 16:40, edited 5 times in total.

Korventh
x3ap

Re: [MOD] X3FL Abandoned Ships: Expanded v1.1 (Updated)

Post by Korventh » Sat, 25. Jun 22, 14:46

Version 1.1 released - change log
- Engine Tuning and Rudder Optimization can now spawn more instead of Special Discovery.
- Added more weapons and shields that can spawn in crates instead of Special Discovery.
- Changed spawning rates for ships, weapons and tunings to 10%, 30% and 20% respectively.

This update is just a small balance pass to the original v1.0 which would often spawn several special discoveries while weapons and tunings had little to no room to spawn. In addition to this, I wanted to reflect the combat going on in Xenon sectors more, so I've added all larger weapons and shields to the script. Now, while it's still rare to come across such weapons, one can find Ion Cannons, 2GJ Shields, PSGs and others in special crates.

Ship spawn rates still felt messy in my opinion so I adjusted them accordingly. Now, while finding ships is somewhat rare, finding a capital ship will be rarer. When the script decides to spawn a ship (10% chance) then it has 80% chance to spawn a smaller ship or a freighter / tp and 20% chance to spawn a capital ship.

To install this version, just overwrite the older one with this file. New game is not needed.

Authchir

Post by Authchir » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 23:20

Hi,

thanks for investing your time and making this mod! It sounds really interesting and I would like to try it. Installed as suggested, i.e. copied the .xml into the right folder and removed the .pck file with the same name that was already there. However, the game won't start for me in this configuration; I tried loading an older save as well as starting a new game. I also tried using the first ("old") version, but I see the same behavior. Adding the .pck again lets the game start, but I assume it does not use your script then.

This is with X3FL 1.3 Vanilla with no other mods. As suggested in the sticky threads in the forum, I had a look at all the general advice and instructions on using mods, but did not find anything special on using just .xml scripts. What am I missing here?

-XeNoN-
x4

Post by -XeNoN- » Fri, 30. Sep 22, 10:22

You should update the script for 1.3.2 patch

Korventh
x3ap

Post by Korventh » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 09:48

[quote=Authchir post_id=5141301 time=1661980809 user_id=573172]
Hi,

thanks for investing your time and making this mod! It sounds really interesting and I would like to try it. Installed as suggested, i.e. copied the .xml into the right folder and removed the .pck file with the same name that was already there. However, the game won't start for me in this configuration; I tried loading an older save as well as starting a new game. I also tried using the first ("old") version, but I see the same behavior. Adding the .pck again lets the game start, but I assume it does not use your script then.

This is with X3FL 1.3 Vanilla with no other mods. As suggested in the sticky threads in the forum, I had a look at all the general advice and instructions on using mods, but did not find anything special on using just .xml scripts. What am I missing here?
[/quote]

The game won't start as in you can't even run the game or does it get to some point then crashes? Are you using the unofficial patch?

Korventh
x3ap

Post by Korventh » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 09:50

[quote=-XeNoN- post_id=5144685 time=1664526179 user_id=424605]
[/quote]

Wasn't even aware that a new patch was out. I'll get to it when I'll have time.

-XeNoN-
x4

Post by -XeNoN- » Fri, 14. Oct 22, 10:02

Korventh wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 09:50
-XeNoN- wrote:
Fri, 30. Sep 22, 10:22
It's unnoficial patch from Cycrow :)

Betelgeuse97
x4

Post by Betelgeuse97 » Sat, 15. Oct 22, 09:40

Korventh wrote:
-XeNoN- wrote:
There's now unofficial 1.3.3 patch. Does only that script that you've provided need to be updated later on?

-XeNoN-
x4

Post by -XeNoN- » Sat, 15. Oct 22, 09:55

Betelgeuse97 wrote:
Sat, 15. Oct 22, 09:40
Korventh wrote:
-XeNoN- wrote:
There's now unofficial 1.3.3 patch. Does only that script that you've provided need to be updated later on?
Yes, but ill need to check with Cycrow what's new, FLXRM will be also updated too

Authchir

Post by Authchir » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 00:26

Korventh wrote:
Fri, 14. Oct 22, 09:48
Authchir wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 23:20
Hi,

The game won't start as in you can't even run the game or does it get to some point then crashes? Are you using the unofficial patch?
Sorry for being unclear; I can run the game, but "New Game", "Continue", or "Load" causes a freeze in the loading screen (no crash). I'm not using the unofficial patch, just official version 1.3 without mods or changes.

Korventh
x3ap

Post by Korventh » Mon, 12. Dec 22, 16:27

Betelgeuse97 wrote:
Sat, 15. Oct 22, 09:40
Korventh wrote:
-XeNoN- wrote:
Changes in v1.3.2 means this mod won't get an update, but a "rework". This current file cannot be made compatible with the unofficial patch, a new mod that does the same thing is needed.I recently started working on the version for unofficial patch v1.3.2 version and there's a 1.3.3 already? :D I guess I'll wait for an official update before updating the mod since the unofficial one gets updated frequently and mods like this require a lot of testing. This current one took me a week to find the sweet spot between finding too much stuff and never finding anything. From what Cycrow said, there are now two scripts that handle abandoned ships and crates. The one I made is just one file so it is completely incompatible with any version of the unofficial patch.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 12. Dec 22, 17:22

Basically in the unofficial patch I moved the spawning logic to a separate script.

This basically allows other scripts to call it separately if they need to spawn anything.

The only other change was replacing engine tunings with Pandora Tunings, which allows you to pick them up in any ship and apply them to another.

If all you want to do is add more stuff you can create a separate script to decide what to add and call the spawning script to create them. This means you won't have to worry about any further updates

MissileDragon581
x4

Post by MissileDragon581 » Mon, 13. Mar 23, 05:15

Download link is broken. Please fix?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 13. Mar 23, 13:50

MissileDragon581 wrote:
Mon, 13. Mar 23, 05:15
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GUG27F ... sp=sharing

Click the QUOTE icon and copy the link from the message.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Wed, 22. Mar 23, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed download links in opening post

Korventh
x3ap

Post by Korventh » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 01:43

MissileDragon581 wrote:
I checked both links and they seem to work fine?
Cycrow wrote:
Mon, 12. Dec 22, 17:22
Basically in the unofficial patch I moved the spawning logic to a separate script.

This basically allows other scripts to call it separately if they need to spawn anything.

The only other change was replacing engine tunings with Pandora Tunings, which allows you to pick them up in any ship and apply them to another.

If all you want to do is add more stuff you can create a separate script to decide what to add and call the spawning script to create them. This means you won't have to worry about any further updates
I was going to port the messy version that I personally used and haven't posted here because it never worked as it should, lots of bugs. Idea was that the script would sometimes also spawn derelicts and wares around the ship, as if there was a battle scene. Tried to make it spawn the ship with random hull damage, loadout etc, and also some flair like blackbox logs in form of a message as to what happened to the ship, you know all the good and interesting stuff to make it more believable rather than just "here's a random ship 200 kilometers away from the gate in the Y axis".

Sadly, health hasn't been kind to me, and I don't think I'll finish porting the mod or continue modding at this time. If anyone wishes to port this mod to the unofficial patch, feel free to do so. Sorry if I have disappointed everyone.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Fri, 14. Apr 23, 16:03

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

ntweedie2007
x4

Post by ntweedie2007 » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 05:59

So, where is the download? I click the download link and it's just a Google doc? Am I missing something?

ntweedie2007
x4

Post by ntweedie2007 » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 06:01

alexalsp wrote:
Mon, 13. Mar 23, 13:50
MissileDragon581 wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GUG27F ... sp=sharing

Click the QUOTE icon and copy the link from the message.
What does "Click the QUOTE icon and copy the link from the message."mean? Why does clicking download not, you know, download it? I'm lost. Why isn't it downloading??

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 14:20

copy the downloaded script to addon2\scripts folder

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”