[X3] Problems installing the US version? READ THIS!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 07:23

rivetz wrote: I'm not trying to be a jerk, the problem intrigues me and I'll fix it one way or the other. I love the game and thank the Egosoft/Enlight team for releasing it, even if there are a couple bugs.
well hopefully it all works out...
I havent read too many Tech posts before, for some time, but that sounds quite strange... although I am not even sure what you are seeing... maybe if you still have difficulties - you should explain in detail...
... just to point out 2.0 will not require you to have the disk to play the game
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

rivetz
x3

Post by rivetz » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 07:48

fiksal wrote:
rivetz wrote: I'm not trying to be a jerk, the problem intrigues me and I'll fix it one way or the other. I love the game and thank the Egosoft/Enlight team for releasing it, even if there are a couple bugs.
well hopefully it all works out...
I havent read too many Tech posts before, for some time, but that sounds quite strange... although I am not even sure what you are seeing... maybe if you still have difficulties - you should explain in detail...
... just to point out 2.0 will not require you to have the disk to play the game
Doesn't matter, cos it's fixed. A system restore back to just before the original install did the trick. Here's a better summary both for you and any other poor bastard who has this issue:

I installed the game fine (5 CD set). Ran fine, couple graphical bugs, nothing huge. I patched up to most recent version but did not use the correct patch, used the 2.0.01 -> 2.0.02 when I should have used the 1.0 -> 2.0.02. Patch obviously did not take, all kinds of weirdness. Realized my mistake, tried to repatch, still crashing like mad. Uninstalled, but when I reinstalled I was getting prompts for Disc 6 (which I did not and do not have). After numerous un/reinstalls including wiping temp directories and the like as mentioned last page, a sys restore back to orig install date did the job. Weird issue. Certainly partially my fault as I applied the wrong patch, but if I completely uninstall and still encounter issues, that's a deal with either the patch or the original code. It leaves something behind that can cause issues. I don't know what nor do I care. Thanks all for the assistance, I'm off and running! :)

SnowHeart
x3

Post by SnowHeart » Thu, 3. May 07, 01:55

I'm having this problem but with Windows Vista. No "ignore" option seems to appear -- the system just hangs, and then after about ten minutes tells me there is a security error. :lol: I bought the game back when it was released and don't have the receipt -- don't even remember the retailer I bought it from. Anyone run into this problem?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 3. May 07, 02:01

Just to be clear, is this happening during installation? And have you followed the suggestions in the other Vista-related threads (use the Extra Search on this forum)?

SnowHeart
x3

Post by SnowHeart » Thu, 3. May 07, 02:13

CBJ, thanks for the response. You guys are awesome.

Yes, it's during installation. It's the 6-disk American set. At what I assume is the end of the disk 2 file copying, the system just hangs... the cd drive keeps running (slowly) but nothing is copied. If I leave it, after about ten minutes I get a security error. If I remove the disk and put in disk 3, it tells me to put in disk two. I get two options: "Ok" or "Cancel". Cancel aborts the install, clicking "ok" accomplishes nothing unless I actually reinsert disk 2. I'm thinking waaaay back to when I originally installed X3 (same hardware but running XP Home), and I think I did have this problem about the missing files from Disk 2 -- I just clicked ignore and never had a problem.

I think I may be FUBARed and just have to buy a new copy from Steam.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 3. May 07, 02:20

I really don't know if this would work, but it may be worth a try if you have the time: make a disk image of disk 2 on your hard drive, then add the files that are problematic manually and finally burn the result to a new disk to use instead the original one during installation.

theluckyone17
x4

Post by theluckyone17 » Sat, 5. May 07, 02:34

SnowHeart wrote:I'm having this problem but with Windows Vista. No "ignore" option seems to appear -- the system just hangs, and then after about ten minutes tells me there is a security error. :lol: I bought the game back when it was released and don't have the receipt -- don't even remember the retailer I bought it from. Anyone run into this problem?
I figured I'd mention that I'm running into the same problem, without the security error. The installer just hangs, the access light on the drive eventually stops, and the installer fails to notify me of any status changes. It just states it's installing and that's it. Cancelling does nothing, ejecting the disk does nothing. I've let it sit for around an hour, and eventually I end up rebooting.

I'm lucky enough to be able to look up my receipt fairly easily, so I'll go that route, and see what Egosoft can do for me.

Thunder_Horse
x3

Post by Thunder_Horse » Mon, 28. May 07, 00:54

I purchased this game several days ago and had problems installing it because of the second CD. My solution to this problem was spawned in part thanks to someone else's solution in this thread. I downloaded a trial version of Alcohol 120% (just google it) and after installing it, made ISO files of all of the disks and then ran them on the "fake" CD/DVD drive that Daemon Tools (again, just google it) created upon install. The game installed without a hitch at that point and works perfectly fine. All you need to do is tell Alcohol to ignore errors on the disk. You will still need to download the 08105 and 08106 media files, that are provided on the first page of this thread and replace the faulty files in the soundtracks folder. It should work afterwards. I hope this helps anyone still having problems.

adlkirk
x3tc

Post by adlkirk » Thu, 7. Jun 07, 19:07

I had this problem (still do) and came here through a 'net search. After registering, I found this thread and tried the workaround as Target pulled all Egosoft s/w because of this problem. Obtaining another set was out of the question.

Anyhow, I followed the workaround instrustions to the "t" and this didn't work. I contacted Egosoft both through the e-mail link and on the phone. I provided my key (and I had registered it online anyhow), and supposedly a replacement DVD was on its way.

It never came. I tried various e-mails, calls to the company rep (Paul, I believe), on speakerphone so I could record the voicemail greeting and my subsequent message...al to no avail.

It took me filing a complaint with Germany (Enlight), Wisconsin Consumer Protection AND the Federal Trade Commission to get someone's dead hinder moving.

At this juncture, the product key was again requested, which I provided along with my implied question of why all prior communication was ignored. I mean, they know how many defective disks were produced. Why not make enough new ones and send them out as they come in?

After 9 months of messing around with them, once I receive my replacement set, and good game or no...I will be doing no future business with Enlight/Egosoft.

It's a shame a person has to go through these changes to get appropriate customer service. Granted, I may have fallen through the crack once or twice...but over 20 times?

It feels like the Rainmaker insurance company approach. Ignore the first couple of requests for payment. Those that go no further, we're money ahead, and we'll pay the persistent ones. I have seen this from my own insurance company, and that's what it looks like.

Anyhow....

adlkirk
x3tc

Post by adlkirk » Thu, 7. Jun 07, 19:27

Yah, and Ford isn't responsible for their product, the dealerships are. Right!

I tried everyone's method here. I t finally, as I stated, took contacting Enlight and getting on them with the fact I filed complaints at the State and Federal level.

I think they know the Feds here in the USA can bring pressure on Enlight, so to claim Enlight isn't responsible is simply disingenuous.

If not so, and Enlight is tired of people jumping on them because Egosoft is ruining their US public relations, and they're dumping on Egosoft, that's still a savvy thing to do. Whatever the case, people are going to see the Enlight on the box, remember the bad customer service they got and simply not buy a bloody thing with their name on it anymore.

That's my approach..caveat emptor, and Econ101. Once I get what I paid for, I simply have no demand for Egosoft's supply. *shrug*

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 7. Jun 07, 20:11

adlkirk wrote:Obtaining another set was out of the question.
Why is that?
Best Buy, here in MN, had exchanged the box three times for me.
adlkirk wrote: I contacted Egosoft both through the e-mail link and on the phone. I provided my key (and I had registered it online anyhow), and supposedly a replacement DVD was on its way.
Really? Egosoft said that they'll send you the replacement DVD. That is something new, since all the problems were directed to Enlight, not Egosoft.
adlkirk wrote: Yah, and Ford isn't responsible for their product, the dealerships are. Right!
No, the dealership is responsible if you buy a car with a dented door.

adlkirk wrote: I think they know the Feds here in the USA can bring pressure on Enlight, so to claim Enlight isn't responsible is simply disingenuous.
Who claimed that?
adlkirk wrote: Enlight is tired of people jumping on them because Egosoft is ruining their US public relations,
I think Enlight is ruining Egosoft's reputation.

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 03:30

I'm having the same 5-cd problem (CD's 1-5, gamecd), but I think mine is a bit stranger. I've had my copy for about 6 months now (got it at Christmas IIRC), and it installed fine on my other computer. Right now I'm on a different computer (another house) and I'm having this strange problem. I can't remember having done anything to work around this problem, so I guess it's just coming up now. It doesn't make sense that the CD's became unusable and developed this software problem over this period, so what could it be? I certainly did not pirate the game to get around the problem on my other computer and this is my only copy (ie, never exchanged with Enlight). What should I do about this?

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself. I tried installing for a third time , but this time I used only my newer DVD drive. It worked fine and now I'm downloading the patch.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

huntertp
x3

Post by huntertp » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 18:28

hi everybody, i got x3 reunion on 6CD, and i got that problem: game installed, no problem, start it security asking cd, ok game cd, i put it in, security chiking it and after says--" the apllication 's module X3.EXE was modifyied. it may be damaged or infected by virus . reinstall the apllication.", alright reinstall, same thing :o :cry: . solution

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 19:43

huntertp wrote:hi everybody, i got x3 reunion on 6CD, and i got that problem: game installed, no problem, start it security asking cd, ok game cd, i put it in, security chiking it and after says--" the apllication 's module X3.EXE was modifyied. it may be damaged or infected by virus . reinstall the apllication.", alright reinstall, same thing :o :cry: . solution
hm...odd... if it'd help i'd suggest installing the latest patch, perhaps it does things differently considering it doesn't ask for CD anymore...

otherwise, maybe you really got a virus, hm

huntertp
x3

actually witch number of patch u mean

Post by huntertp » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 21:41

got it, let me try, thanks anyway,

huntertp
x3

Post by huntertp » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 22:00

actually which number of patch u mean

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 22:17

huntertp wrote:actually which number of patch u mean
any of the last ones
2.x

huntertp
x3

Post by huntertp » Sat, 5. Jan 08, 22:31

but in description it doesn't says that it let go w/o cd

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 6. Jan 08, 00:51

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The 2.x patches remove the need to have the CD in the drive when you start the game.

huntertp
x3

Post by huntertp » Sun, 6. Jan 08, 06:35

yes, exactly, that i thinking, but what i mean, i download it from filefront.com, so there is description for patch, and there no word about it

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”