[X3] Problems installing the US version? READ THIS!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

LowRider2112
x3

6 different PCs... wish me luck for a CD replacement set

Post by LowRider2112 » Fri, 11. Aug 06, 00:27

Great thread. I only wish some of the suggestions worked for me. Yes, I am fortunate to have accumulated a 6 PC LAN at home over the years, all with different hardware to test this on, but still no working install in the end.

So, for the most part, I will just document my issue, because I cannot find it specifically listed in this thread. Maybe it is useful to someone:

My CD set contains 6 CDs as follows (Title - CD signature):

DISK 01 - FINAL2_DISK1
DISK 02 - FINAL2_DISK2
DISK 03 - FINAL2_DISK3
DISK 04 - X3D4.3 5
DISK 05 - X3D5GAMECD
X3GAMECD - FINAL2_X3GAMECD

The error I receive is the same in all cases as I insert DISK 04. Almost the instant I click OK I get the following message:

Error 1309.Error reading from file D:\program files\EGOSOFT\X3 REUNION\02.dat. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Abort, Retry, Ignore

Nothing seems to work after this point.

I can see from BestBuy.com that no store at the time of this writing has any stock in the 98074 area, so I will try emailing Paul L. and see if I get any results.

I suppose this issue is a good arguement for Steam, eh?

I'll let you know how it goes.

chris skywalker
x3

help with installion PLEASE

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 16:26

i have the united states 6 disc version of x3
i had to uninstall it because i needed more memory on my computer
but i have enough memory now
but when i try to install it on the first disc
it has trouble with the
00002.dat file
and i need help please i was hoping to play this online before summer ends for me so PLEAS HELP ME :cry:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 17:08

Check that the disk isn't dirty or scratched and try it in a different drive and/or PC if at all possible. If it can't be read in any PC then the CD is damaged; if it can be read in other PCs then you have a problem with your drive. If the CD is damaged but worked OK before then it is likely that it has been damaged while in your ownership, which makes replacing it your problem rather than the publishers. They might be prepared to send you a replacement disk at reduced cost but they are under no obligation to do so.

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 17:49

the disc is reading i found the the dat file in the disc but i cant access dat files and it is installing but i get retry and cancel screen that says it is getting error 1305. error from 00002.dat file and for me to verify it exists and that i can access it but i found it but my computer cant access dat files
if i press retry it will load for a long time then just keep loading and keeping loading and i kept pressing over and over agian for 4 hours and it still wasnt through with disc 1.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 18:32

Clearly it isn't reading correctly if it is giving you error messages. Just because you can see the file listed does not mean that the entire file can be read.

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 18:36

i think u r right i just use one a nero cd dvd speed scanner on it and it is damaged on that one file is possible that u can send me that file please :(
and if i can continue to install it using that

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 18:39

sorry about those grammor errors i really need to start reading over myself before i post it

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:49

It isn't practical to send you files, nor would it necessarily help. Have you done what I suggested with a different drive or PC to see whether it really is the disk or just a problem with your drive?

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:51

i dont have a another computer right now aviable to use

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:53

Well that is pretty much the only way you are going to discover whether it is the disk or the drive and hence what you need to do to solve the problem.

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:56

i use the scan on the nero dvd speed thing i found a link for on enlight
but i still dont have another computer i can use

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:57

also i dont think it is my drive because my other games work still

LoganX0
x3

Post by LoganX0 » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 08:35

Hello. I just bought X3, US version on 5 CD's. I checked the stamp on the inner ring, and each CD is marked 3 5. I haven't had any problems during the installation process, but I have recieved an error about the x3.exe module being modified or damaged by a virus, and instructed to re-install. No dice, re-installed twice. I was wondering if this problem is related to the above listed issues, or if there is another topic that addresses this problem before I contact the support number. thanks.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 10:20

No. That error message is usually copy-protection related. See the other sticky thread on copy-protection for the procedure to solve it.

adlkirk
x3tc

Post by adlkirk » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 15:53

I certainly hope I don't meet with the same lack of response...

I came across this forum at a time when I was having some issues with a new dvd burner and InCD from Nero. InCD was arguing with XPPro's Mt. Ranier support, which locked Windows. After uninstalling that and the burner worked fine... I kept having issues tryingto install X3. The install kept hanging, with the mentioned error.

So searching I found this site and thread, which was most helpful. Now, I guess I have to deal with Enlight as the work-around isn't.

J Cubed
x3

Can't we just get a replacement for our defective merchandise!?!

Post by J Cubed » Sat, 7. Oct 06, 05:05

I got my version 1.0 6 CD set for X3 as a Christmas gift, and was unable to return them. Fortunately, I had read this forum thread and was ready to deal with the problem.

I am trying to re-install the game to get a fresh install to play the Fusion mod in, and I ran into the missnig files problem again. I have to tell you, it is :evil: VERY :evil: irritating to kick off the install, get to CD 2 and go upstairs to deal with the kid, see the error and tell the program to cancel looking for the missing file because I want to copy it in later, and see the install program think that I meant to cancel the full install process! I have way too little free time to waste restarting installs! :evil:

What happens if I want to re-install this program 2 years down the road? Can those of us who have registration IDs please be given access to download a STEAM copy of X3 or something to replace our defective media? You don't need to give us new registration IDs, as we should be able to continue with our existing ones. :evil: This is just bloody frustrating! :evil:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Oct 06, 10:21

Once again, as explained at the start of this thread, you need to take this up with the publisher. Egosoft has nothing to do with disk production and cannot help you. Steam is a different publisher so, as explained in the sticky thread at the top of the main X Universe forum, registration cannot be transferred between the two.

Skip_Moniker
x3

Post by Skip_Moniker » Fri, 2. Feb 07, 22:10

I found my own solution to this problem. I have the 5 + 1 CD version (1.0) and could not install it because I have 2 optical drives. Even though drive #2 is virtual (Alcohol120), the install kept failing because it was looking for those .dat files on that 2nd drive.

I gave up because I didn't want to uninstall Alcohol just to play this game. But later I tried disabling the virtual drive in the hardware profile then re-enabled it after installation was successful. Now I can play with the Khaak all day...well, you know what I mean. Hope that helps you too.

JustDave

Post by JustDave » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 05:33

frankly, i think i'm going to cut my losses & just trash it. i didnt buy this game to tinker with faulty BS

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 09:53

As it says just a couple of posts up, please take this issue up with the publisher.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”