[X3] Problems installing the US version? READ THIS!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:56

i use the scan on the nero dvd speed thing i found a link for on enlight
but i still dont have another computer i can use

chris skywalker
x3

Post by chris skywalker » Wed, 16. Aug 06, 19:57

also i dont think it is my drive because my other games work still

LoganX0
x3

Post by LoganX0 » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 08:35

Hello. I just bought X3, US version on 5 CD's. I checked the stamp on the inner ring, and each CD is marked 3 5. I haven't had any problems during the installation process, but I have recieved an error about the x3.exe module being modified or damaged by a virus, and instructed to re-install. No dice, re-installed twice. I was wondering if this problem is related to the above listed issues, or if there is another topic that addresses this problem before I contact the support number. thanks.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. Aug 06, 10:20

No. That error message is usually copy-protection related. See the other sticky thread on copy-protection for the procedure to solve it.

adlkirk
x3tc

Post by adlkirk » Wed, 20. Sep 06, 15:53

I certainly hope I don't meet with the same lack of response...

I came across this forum at a time when I was having some issues with a new dvd burner and InCD from Nero. InCD was arguing with XPPro's Mt. Ranier support, which locked Windows. After uninstalling that and the burner worked fine... I kept having issues tryingto install X3. The install kept hanging, with the mentioned error.

So searching I found this site and thread, which was most helpful. Now, I guess I have to deal with Enlight as the work-around isn't.

J Cubed
x3

Can't we just get a replacement for our defective merchandise!?!

Post by J Cubed » Sat, 7. Oct 06, 05:05

I got my version 1.0 6 CD set for X3 as a Christmas gift, and was unable to return them. Fortunately, I had read this forum thread and was ready to deal with the problem.

I am trying to re-install the game to get a fresh install to play the Fusion mod in, and I ran into the missnig files problem again. I have to tell you, it is :evil: VERY :evil: irritating to kick off the install, get to CD 2 and go upstairs to deal with the kid, see the error and tell the program to cancel looking for the missing file because I want to copy it in later, and see the install program think that I meant to cancel the full install process! I have way too little free time to waste restarting installs! :evil:

What happens if I want to re-install this program 2 years down the road? Can those of us who have registration IDs please be given access to download a STEAM copy of X3 or something to replace our defective media? You don't need to give us new registration IDs, as we should be able to continue with our existing ones. :evil: This is just bloody frustrating! :evil:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 7. Oct 06, 10:21

Once again, as explained at the start of this thread, you need to take this up with the publisher. Egosoft has nothing to do with disk production and cannot help you. Steam is a different publisher so, as explained in the sticky thread at the top of the main X Universe forum, registration cannot be transferred between the two.

Skip_Moniker
x3

Post by Skip_Moniker » Fri, 2. Feb 07, 22:10

I found my own solution to this problem. I have the 5 + 1 CD version (1.0) and could not install it because I have 2 optical drives. Even though drive #2 is virtual (Alcohol120), the install kept failing because it was looking for those .dat files on that 2nd drive.

I gave up because I didn't want to uninstall Alcohol just to play this game. But later I tried disabling the virtual drive in the hardware profile then re-enabled it after installation was successful. Now I can play with the Khaak all day...well, you know what I mean. Hope that helps you too.

JustDave

Post by JustDave » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 05:33

frankly, i think i'm going to cut my losses & just trash it. i didnt buy this game to tinker with faulty BS

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 26. Feb 07, 09:53

As it says just a couple of posts up, please take this issue up with the publisher.

JustDave

Post by JustDave » Tue, 27. Feb 07, 05:10

Thank You for ALL Your time & efforts guys... Take Care

rivetz
x3

Post by rivetz » Mon, 5. Mar 07, 23:34

Chalk up another extremely irritated X3 fan. This game worked fine for me in the past, but the Disc 6 bug has completely thrown me for a loop. And I do place the blame with Egosoft since the issues apparently stem from the patch. A couple of days ago I patched up to 2.0 without first coming up to 1.4, my mistake 100%. But if it isn't possible to uninstall and reinstall the game (as is the case here), where do I go for help?

I'm sure the stock answer will of course be Enlight Enlight Enlight Enlight Enlight, as has been made dazzlingly clear about 8000 times thus far in this thread. However, if the CDs are not defective, and the game previously installed fine and only started having installation problems upon misapplication of the Egosoft patch, what's my next move? I have already tried uninstalling and then removing all related files/directories (Program Files, Temp, Local Settings Temp, etc.) , and still get queried for a nonexistent Disc 6. Enlight glibly informs me that if this is the case, the disc must be defective. I find that hard to believe. Nor is it possible to return to retailer, as I purchased this title at full retail price over a year ago. Can anyone offer any assistance or direction? Does the description above clarify why I'm coming to Egosoft for assistance instead of Enlight? I don't think a swap of CDs is the answer here at all.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 00:42

rivetz wrote: A couple of days ago I patched up to 2.0 without first coming up to 1.4
what version were you at before the patch, and what patch did you install
rivetz wrote: However, if the CDs are not defective, and the game previously installed fine and only started having installation problems upon misapplication of the Egosoft patch, what's my next move?
I suppose I'd create a separate thread maybe, with your issue... and provide more info perhaps
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 02:29

How can a problem reading from a disk have anything to do with the patch? The disks are read-only and nothing a patch can do can change what is on the disk or affect your ability to read from it.

It is quite possible that in the year since you bought it something has changed with the disk: either the disk has been damaged or deteriorated, or your drive has deteriorated or become faulty.

Unless there is some important point I am missing (I'm not quite sure that I understand what you mean by "Disc 6 bug" or "nonexistent Disc 6", for example) then the advice you are getting that you have a defective disk is almost certainly correct.

rivetz
x3

Post by rivetz » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 06:20

CBJ wrote:How can a problem reading from a disk have anything to do with the patch? The disks are read-only and nothing a patch can do can change what is on the disk or affect your ability to read from it.
From Enlight's KB entry on this issue (http://www.enlight.com/pq/product/view.php?id=546):
The gamer disk is the disk #6. Please wait for a while when you have inserted the disc into the driver in order to let it read the disc completely.

And if problem continues, please uninstall the game, and then empty the system temp folder and the system install shield folder (“C:\Windows\Temp", "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Account\Local Settings\Temp"). Go to the installation folder and delete that folder. Because there is stuff there that corrupts the program when you run it.

I assume by "stuff" they are referring to temp files, or reg entries, leftovers in the install dir, etc. It seems to me entirely possible that something could be left behind that is triggering the request.
It is quite possible that in the year since you bought it something has changed with the disk: either the disk has been damaged or deteriorated, or your drive has deteriorated or become faulty.
In the last week in which it installed perfectly? Maybe.
Unless there is some important point I am missing (I'm not quite sure that I understand what you mean by "Disc 6 bug" or "nonexistent Disc 6", for example)
This issue is clearly referenced on Page One of Enlight's Knowledgebase for X3.
then the advice you are getting that you have a defective disk is almost certainly correct.
We'll see. Trying some other stuff, will let both you and Enlight know.

I've got to say if I wasn't personally affected by this I'd find it hilarious. You do realize the extraordinary efforts both Enlight and Egosoft seem to have been going to to prove it is anything, anything at all, other than an issue with the product? It's a bad disc, or a bad drive, or a bad OS, or a bad install. Here's a crazy idea: perhaps there's some permutation of events that went untested in terms of how the patch cleans up after itself, or what the installer puts in the registry. Wacky, I know, but I'm just a crazy kid with stars in his eyes. I will update once I try some other approaches. I'm not trying to be a jerk, the problem intrigues me and I'll fix it one way or the other. I love the game and thank the Egosoft/Enlight team for releasing it, even if there are a couple bugs.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 07:23

rivetz wrote: I'm not trying to be a jerk, the problem intrigues me and I'll fix it one way or the other. I love the game and thank the Egosoft/Enlight team for releasing it, even if there are a couple bugs.
well hopefully it all works out...
I havent read too many Tech posts before, for some time, but that sounds quite strange... although I am not even sure what you are seeing... maybe if you still have difficulties - you should explain in detail...
... just to point out 2.0 will not require you to have the disk to play the game
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

rivetz
x3

Post by rivetz » Tue, 6. Mar 07, 07:48

fiksal wrote:
rivetz wrote: I'm not trying to be a jerk, the problem intrigues me and I'll fix it one way or the other. I love the game and thank the Egosoft/Enlight team for releasing it, even if there are a couple bugs.
well hopefully it all works out...
I havent read too many Tech posts before, for some time, but that sounds quite strange... although I am not even sure what you are seeing... maybe if you still have difficulties - you should explain in detail...
... just to point out 2.0 will not require you to have the disk to play the game
Doesn't matter, cos it's fixed. A system restore back to just before the original install did the trick. Here's a better summary both for you and any other poor bastard who has this issue:

I installed the game fine (5 CD set). Ran fine, couple graphical bugs, nothing huge. I patched up to most recent version but did not use the correct patch, used the 2.0.01 -> 2.0.02 when I should have used the 1.0 -> 2.0.02. Patch obviously did not take, all kinds of weirdness. Realized my mistake, tried to repatch, still crashing like mad. Uninstalled, but when I reinstalled I was getting prompts for Disc 6 (which I did not and do not have). After numerous un/reinstalls including wiping temp directories and the like as mentioned last page, a sys restore back to orig install date did the job. Weird issue. Certainly partially my fault as I applied the wrong patch, but if I completely uninstall and still encounter issues, that's a deal with either the patch or the original code. It leaves something behind that can cause issues. I don't know what nor do I care. Thanks all for the assistance, I'm off and running! :)

SnowHeart
x3

Post by SnowHeart » Thu, 3. May 07, 01:55

I'm having this problem but with Windows Vista. No "ignore" option seems to appear -- the system just hangs, and then after about ten minutes tells me there is a security error. :lol: I bought the game back when it was released and don't have the receipt -- don't even remember the retailer I bought it from. Anyone run into this problem?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 3. May 07, 02:01

Just to be clear, is this happening during installation? And have you followed the suggestions in the other Vista-related threads (use the Extra Search on this forum)?

SnowHeart
x3

Post by SnowHeart » Thu, 3. May 07, 02:13

CBJ, thanks for the response. You guys are awesome.

Yes, it's during installation. It's the 6-disk American set. At what I assume is the end of the disk 2 file copying, the system just hangs... the cd drive keeps running (slowly) but nothing is copied. If I leave it, after about ten minutes I get a security error. If I remove the disk and put in disk 3, it tells me to put in disk two. I get two options: "Ok" or "Cancel". Cancel aborts the install, clicking "ok" accomplishes nothing unless I actually reinsert disk 2. I'm thinking waaaay back to when I originally installed X3 (same hardware but running XP Home), and I think I did have this problem about the missing files from Disk 2 -- I just clicked ignore and never had a problem.

I think I may be FUBARed and just have to buy a new copy from Steam.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”