X³: Reunion - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Zephyr2084

Post by Zephyr2084 » Fri, 1. Aug 14, 18:01

Hello,
I have just bought X3 Reunion from Steam and started playing it. I noticed an annoying sound glitch with the computer voice whenever I buy something from a station: If I keep my right arrow pressed on the commodity, I'll buy that commodity until I'm out of money and the computer voice will say "insufficient credits". The problem is that if I keep the right arrow pressed the voice will sometimes start looping 20 to 50 times even after I undock.

I hope I have made my self clear.
Many thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Regards

Zephyr2084

X3 Reunion (Linux) Computer voice loops

Post by Zephyr2084 » Fri, 1. Aug 14, 18:15

Hello,
I have just bought X3 Reunion on Steam for linux.
I have noticed an annoying sound glitch whenever I buy a commodity at a station. What I do is: I select the commodity and then keep the right arrow press to fill up my cargo until I run out of money. Once that happens the computer voice says "insuficient credits", and that's okay. The problem is that if I keep the right arrow pressed for a little while after I run out of money (and that's quite inevitable when buying a lot of stuff), sometimes the computer voice loops repeating itself for 20-50 times even if I undock.

I hope I made my self clear

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.
Regards

Zephyr

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 4. Aug 14, 13:04

@Zephyr2084

Ok managed to reproduce, and it seems linux specific.
Though it'll probably take me a while to get to it:(
Btw if you want to buy the maximum amount just press "end".

Zephyr2084

Post by Zephyr2084 » Mon, 4. Aug 14, 13:07

Thank you very much!

pezz

Post by pezz » Tue, 26. Aug 14, 09:32

Hi there,

I am trying to play under Linux, however I have no way to configure the second stick control or the trigger buttons on my Logitech F310 (standard X-Box style controller), the game doesn't appear to recognise them in the in-game config menu.

How do I get these buttons / stick working?

Cheers.

pezz

Post by pezz » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 13:27

Anyone?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:15

pezz wrote:Anyone?
Please do not bump.

pezz

Post by pezz » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:22

How should I seek a response after 2 days, then?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:34

pezz wrote:How should I seek a response after 2 days, then?
I think Timon is busy and will respond when he can. And at this time of year a lot of people are going, on or just getting back from their holidays. Some level of patience will be required.

pezz

Post by pezz » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 16:30

Fair enough, as long as you understand I wasn't being trivial or dismissively "bumping" in my search for an answer.

Authorised
x3ap

Post by Authorised » Sat, 27. Sep 14, 16:19

Hi all, just thouight I'd add my details to the joystick woes.

OK so I own a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 and a CH Pro Throttle. Individually, I can use both of them no problem. I can set my controls to the ff2 and fly around, I can set my controls to the CH Throttle and... well speed up and slow down I guess...

But what I want to do is use both of them together in a HOTAS setup. I have used the joy-map software to create a virtual device which maps the various acxes of both my sticks, and all of their buttons to a third device (/dev/input/js3 in my case), and this device is selectable from the X3:TC launcher.

Now here's the problem. By default, the mapping software mongs the analogue ranges to -256 to +256 instead of -32,768 to +32,768. As a result, X3 barely detects any changes. I fiddled around with the joy-map files and managed to correct the ranges somewhat, but although the CH Throttle works nicely, the FF2 doesn't - it starts at -32,768 in the centre and goes all over the shop when I move it.

Now I hear what you're all about to say, that this is not a fault with X3 and that I should deal with it etc. etc. But really I'd appreciate the ability to use more than one joystick device.

There's something else too which bothers me. when I run jscal I am able to calibrate my virtual device, and then all of the readings in jstest are nice and correct. But X3 doesn't seem to notice. I've tried exporting SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE, but no joy. I even tried recompiling SDL2 without udev support (after reading about some successes doing similar things on the internet), but no joy there either.

It's annoying that the virtual device seems to work fine in other applications but not X3 (I suspect that this is due to SDL2 using evdev rather than joydev input)

Has anyone managed to get multiple joysticks working in Linux with X3? If so, how did you do it and what sticks were you using? I suspect that if I replaced my FF2 with a CH Fighterstick I might have more joy, but the game would really benefit from an in-game calibration tool or the ability to natively support multiple devices.[/url]
"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff

Authorised
x3ap

Post by Authorised » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 03:23

Hi all, just as a follow up to this, I have managed to get the joysticks playing nicely, although it was a bit off a kludge. I hacked the joy-map source code to hard-code in the relevant sensitivity values of all the remapped axes (by default, joy-map sets all the abs_max values to 32767 and all the abs_min values to -32767, but through some judicious use of evtest I was able to get accurate min and max values for all my axes. I now have my CH Pro Throttle and Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 playing nicely together in X3:TC. I can provide links to the hacked joy-map source and my config map file too if anyone needs it - it may be of use to those of you whose joysticks aren't working properly without calibration, or anyone who wishes to combine multiple devices into a virtual device (in a similar way to CH Products controller command software)

I've also realised that this is not the X3:TC linux thread but the X3:R thread. Still, I imagine the same solution applies.
"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 29. Sep 14, 10:13

@pezz

In-game meaning after starting the actual game?
Did you try remapping the axes in the first Input-Config-Dialog before starting the main game? There's some explanation in the first post of this thread about it. First see if moving the stick causes any of the bars on the right to move (set Scale to 1 on each if it isn't), if not try setting larger axis numbers/indexes.
If you did that and the bars don't move then there's probably not much I can do. Unless you know of another game using SDL2 in which it works.

@Authorised

I was actually aiming for being able to map multiple joysticks, so it's possible just not finished (I would need to modify the config dialog and settings file). Though the game will still only supports iirc 6 or 8 (for TC/AP) axes in total.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 10. Oct 14, 14:38

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a relatively small update, but it includes some updated libraries and it's the first real build from the office.
So I'm making a small public_beta, anyone who can please try it and tell me if it did or didn't break horribly.
The password is "OohVeryShiny".

pezz

Post by pezz » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 22:02

timon37 wrote:@pezz

In-game meaning after starting the actual game?
Did you try remapping the axes in the first Input-Config-Dialog before starting the main game? There's some explanation in the first post of this thread about it. First see if moving the stick causes any of the bars on the right to move (set Scale to 1 on each if it isn't), if not try setting larger axis numbers/indexes.
If you did that and the bars don't move then there's probably not much I can do. Unless you know of another game using SDL2 in which it works.
I dunno, I just expect something in Steam that says, before I buy it, "full controller support" to work.

The second stick doesn't work, and two trigger buttons aren't recognised.

Everything is recognised in Steam.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 27. Oct 14, 11:02

pezz wrote:
timon37 wrote:@pezz
I dunno, I just expect something in Steam that says, before I buy it, "full controller support" to work.

The second stick doesn't work, and two trigger buttons aren't recognised.
Reunion (and TC) don't have "full controller support" only AP has it. Which one are you playing? Though the second stick should work in all of them, or at least it should be possible to configure it with the "Input Device" config dialog.

SDL provides very little info, basically the name of the joystick and the number of axes and buttons it has.
So I had to do the whole universal remapping-scaling-inverting config-dialog, since I can't create presets for more than one or three devices.
Currently there's only a preset for the real xbox controller, and a default which works for most 4-axis joysticks (or so I hope).

Link6746
x3ap

Post by Link6746 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 09:19

I am using X3 TC for steam, and every time the game is launched with "primusrun %command%" from steam, it launches, then before the launcher appears it quits the launcher.

Launching from steam without the primusrun prefix works perfectly.

Okay, launching both with primusrun, I get the following:

$ primusrun X3TC_config
/usr/bin/primusrun: line 52: exec: X3TC_config: not found

$ primusrun X3TC_main
/usr/bin/primusrun: line 52: exec: X3TC_main: not found

A different error without
$ X3TC_config
X3TC_config: command not found

$ X3TC_main
X3TC_main: command not found

However,

The game for me is installed at: "~/.SteamLibrary/common/X3 Terran Conflict"

Maybe the issue is with custom install locations?
Last edited by Link6746 on Thu, 13. Nov 14, 00:21, edited 3 times in total.
--Games Owned--

+X2 via Steam
+X3 via Steam
+X3TC via Steam
+X3AP via Steam

--contact info--
Steam account name: Link6746
(Sorry, but that's all I'm posting)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 12. Nov 14, 10:12

Link6746 wrote:I am using X3 TC for steam, and every time the game is launched with "primusrun %command%" from steam, it launches, then before the launcher appears it quits the launcher.
Can you try launching the game manually from console with and without primusrun?
X3TC_config is the launcher, X3TC_main will directly launch the game.
If you installed to the default location it'll be in ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/X3 Terran Conflict

Link6746
x3ap

Post by Link6746 » Sun, 16. Nov 14, 04:54

Updated original post with details of console/terminal attempts.
--Games Owned--

+X2 via Steam
+X3 via Steam
+X3TC via Steam
+X3AP via Steam

--contact info--
Steam account name: Link6746
(Sorry, but that's all I'm posting)

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic » Thu, 1. Jan 15, 06:40

First of all, thank you for producing such an awesome game and porting it to Linux for us :D (and a proper one at that, not some horrible Wine-wrapped steamy bundle and calling it a port like some developers! Can't believe I bought The Witcher 2 before realising that). I've bought X3R, TC and AP from Steam, it's gonna take a while to work through all of them!

Unfortunately I'm plagued by random crashes :(. Sometimes it'll crash the moment I finish loading a save game, other times it'll run for hours before dying, and anything in between. No particular action seems to trigger the crash that I can tell, so I can't reproduce reliably beyond just playing it until it does. I haven't been able to find much in the way of potential fixes from Googling around, beyond switching off Glow in the graphics settings, and disabling the Steam overlay (neither of which worked), so I found this thread and thought I'd add my voice here.

I've uploaded a core dump (about 800MB raw, 219MB compressed) here, test_log is empty, and nothing of use in the terminal unfortunately beyond

Code: Select all

./testandlaunch: line 31: 27305 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./$1
This is running the latest X3R beta BTW, running 64bit Fedora 21, Nvidia drivers. Hopefully the core dump is useful somehow :) in the meantime, at least having autosave at stations active saves me from losing too much gametime when crashes happen.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”