[SOLVED] [BtF] Fix for flight stick throttle

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Wolf-64

[SOLVED] [BtF] Fix for flight stick throttle

Post by Wolf-64 » Sun, 27. Feb 22, 11:08

***EDIT: Here's the fix for everyone who needs it, courtesy of David Walters aka hiddenasbestos: https://github.com/hiddenasbestos/directinput

All you need to do is copy the files from the bin-folder into your X directory and run the GUI tool (dinput_tweaks.exe) and tick "remap SLIDER0 to Z-AXIS". Alternatively you can manually add the line "REMAP_S0_TO_Z;" in dinput.cfg

***ORIGINAL POST:
Hi all,

signed up to ask this question as I can't find any solution anywhere else, be it Steam, GOG or via Google.
It's a known issue actually: For some flight sticks, like my Thrustmaster T.FlightStick X, the throttle input doesn't work for X:BtF (no issue in X:Tension though). There's a dll made to fix this exact issue by doing some axis remapping or something and I do remember it also helped me several years ago:
https://www.gog.com/forum/x_series/joys ... work/post8

Trying this now just doesn't seem to work for me anymore. The only thing it does is map my rudder input to the throttle slider. Looking at the config file tells me, it's swapping Z and RZ axes: "SWAP_Z_AND_RZ;"
Now I also remember, that I needed to change something in this config file in order to make it work properly, but I also remember there were more settings by default instead of just this one line. So I don't know if it's a version thing or I just experimented with stuff back then. Anyway, I know that, by looking at my flight stick in XPadder, there is no z-axis and the throttle is mapped as "Slider1". So it seems X mapped it's throttle control to the z-axis which doesn't exist for my flight stick. Is there any way I can get this to work? I mean basically the solution would be to remap the z-axis to Slider1, which seemed to be what this dll was intended to do. Anybody have any ideas?
Last edited by Wolf-64 on Wed, 15. Jun 22, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.

Aceridus

Re: [BtF] Fix for flight stick throttle

Post by Aceridus » Fri, 22. Apr 22, 08:46

I too have this issue with my newly acquired Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It seems that X: Beyond the Frontier is an outlier where the throttle slider is non-functional. The x-axis, y-axis and z-axis all work as expected though.

I decided to also check X: Tension, X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion. All of them have functioning x-axis, y-axis, z-axis and throttle slider.

The above observations are the same on both my Windows 10 & 11 machines, so Windows does not appear to be a factor.

Any chance a developer can take a quick look at X: Beyond the Frontier to see why it isn't taking input from the throttle slider?

Wolf-64

Post by Wolf-64 » Sun, 15. May 22, 10:14

It isn't very clear from your post, but have you also tried the fix provided in the forum post I've linked here?

Aceridus

Post by Aceridus » Sun, 29. May 22, 21:28

Yes, I did mess around with the fix, but it wasn't a usable solution. I was able to swap Z and RZ with the fix, but all that did was move the z-axis (yaw) to the throttle slider and made twisting the joystick do nothing. Not a good solution.

I went as far as dumping the strings in the fix dll to find SWAP_, MOVE_, _AND_, _TO_, etc. I tried using a bunch of combinations of SWAP_*_AND_* and MOVE_*_TO_* options, but couldn't find any that properly allowed both the z-axis and throttle slider to function. In the end, I just concluded that Beyond the Frontier must not be reading input from the slider control at all, so my attempts at using the fix dll were futile at best.

I am still hoping an Egosoft employee/developer will see this thread and look into what is happening with Beyond the Frontier because this failed attempt at using a joystick in BtF really killed my interest and momentum for exploring the X series, right after recently picking up the top tier of the X Universe Collection on Humble Bundle too. A real shame because I was just starting to have a lot of fun with BtF, enough so that I decided to go buy a joystick so I could really get into the experience.

Wolf-64

Post by Wolf-64 » Fri, 10. Jun 22, 18:28

Same here, really. The fun thing is that BtF is afaik the only X game to have this issue. Even in XTension this is no longer a problem.

In the meantime I've actually got a hold of the developer of the fix mentioned. It seems he'd be ready to put his code up on GitHub so we might dig into this further ourselves. Unfortunately he seems really busy developing his game, so it might take some time till he actually get's to upload that old fix.

And I have my doubts that Egosoft will ever come back to this...

Wolf-64

Post by Wolf-64 » Wed, 15. Jun 22, 13:02

Good news! David Walters was so kind to upload his source code for the fix to GitHub: https://github.com/hiddenasbestos/directinput

The pre-build binaries of the latest version are included and I think this is exactly the version I couldn't find anymore anywhere else. The best part about this: it just works(tm)! No adjustments to the code needed.
All you need to do is copy the files from the bin-folder into your X directory and run the GUI tool (dinput_tweaks.exe) and tick "remap SLIDER0 to Z-AXIS". Alternatively you can manually add the line "REMAP_S0_TO_Z;" in dinput.cfg

Huge thanks to Davil Walters for this!

EyMann_MachHin
x3ap

Re: [SOLVED] [BtF] Fix for flight stick throttle

Post by EyMann_MachHin » Sun, 10. Jul 22, 00:06

Funnily my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X throttle worked perfectly well in X-BtF, but since it is getting long in the tooth after 10 years of usage I decided to step up my game and bought a Logitech X56 Rhino... which opened a whole new can of worms. I did not expect joystick and throttle to be two different devices of which I can only select one in X-BtF and X-Tension (and I guess in X-2, too). And dinput_mapper alone will not do the trick for that, either. After a few hours of digging into this forum and general googling I guess the following combo might do the trick:
Although HidHide might be overkill, but it will leave a nice clean list of only the virtual joystick.
Wie Bitte?!? "Pilot: Lehrling Leann Ohneaim" Image Gut die Person soll nur einen Frachter fliegen, aber echt jetzt!
:xbtf: :xt: :x2:

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”