[SCRIPT] x0ne Turret Control System (TCS) 1.02 [UPDATED 31/12/2010]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

xyzzy
x3

Post by xyzzy » Sun, 16. Sep 07, 08:08

surferx wrote:About the Hammerhead, although it's everything you said, the aim point on the forward battery is...just off.
That's my experience as well... I can hit >= M7 with it, but struggle to hit M6, and essentially can't hit anything smaller than that no matter what weapon is equipped. My theory is that it's due to the wide spacing of the gun mounts out on the wings, but I don't know for sure. The Argon M7 doesn't behave that way. Hopefully they'll fix the ventral turret soon too.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Sun, 16. Sep 07, 14:47

xyzzy wrote: My theory is that it's due to the wide spacing of the gun mounts out on the wings, but I don't know for sure.

That is a very plausible argument. It's like the line of fire forms a cone or an inverted V and the point of the V is just beyond the target.
xyzzy wrote: The Argon M7 doesn't behave that way.
No the Argon Cerebus has a much more closer inline firing angle which supports your theory. Same thing with the Hawk, Deimos and Tiger.
xyzzy wrote: Hopefully they'll fix the ventral turret soon too.

Oh yeah, I noticed that station had no weapons and it looked like I was inside the ship. I wonder why that was not fixed in the 0.7.3 patch.
Hey xyzzy I guess we've hijacked this thread too much anyway so I'll stop now. :lol:
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Tue, 18. Sep 07, 01:14

surferx wrote:Hey xyzzy I guess we've hijacked this thread too much anyway so I'll stop now. :lol:
Hehe, slightly off topic but I'll let it go!

So they've not fixed that turret on the Hammerhead yet? Never mind, just don't run a turret command on it - save those CPU cycles. ;)

I've been fiddling with the pre-release version 2.0 and have added a useful hotkey for those on a budget or anyone building up their collection of EMPCs. Basically it forces the TCS to only use a weapon if it can fill a turret, enabling you to optimise it for a full loadout or not.

I was also thinking about the Galleon, and when only working with full turrets I think the optimum number of BPPCs (for instance) is more than 16. Normally you'll only have three turrets that can hit one target at the same time (think each corner of your ship), so work out which corner has the most turret slots (collectively) and that's the optimum number...

Well not quite actually, when it's the largest weapon aboard the ship (like the BPPC is on the Galleon), you need to add another three because the weapon used when searching for targets is 1 x largest (i.e. the BPPC). So, to always guarantee every corner of the Galleon can use BPPCs you need 29.

Each ship will be very different though due to the actual placement of the turrets on the ship model. I recommend calculations like this for anti-cap weapons - they tend to avoid later disappointment (or death). 8)

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Tue, 18. Sep 07, 05:14

x0ne wrote:
So they've not fixed that turret on the Hammerhead yet? Never mind, just don't run a turret command on it - save those CPU cycles. ;)

I've been fiddling with the pre-release version 2.0 and have added a useful hotkey for those on a budget or anyone building up their collection of EMPCs. Basically it forces the TCS to only use a weapon if it can fill a turret, enabling you to optimise it for a full loadout or not.
Sweet, my #1 anticipated mod update right now. No pressure or hurries on xOne though, :P
x0ne wrote:I was also thinking about the Galleon, and when only working with full turrets I think the optimum number of BPPCs (for instance) is more than 16. Normally you'll only have three turrets that can hit one target at the same time (think each corner of your ship), so work out which corner has the most turret slots (collectively) and that's the optimum number...

Well not quite actually, when it's the largest weapon aboard the ship (like the BPPC is on the Galleon), you need to add another three because the weapon used when searching for targets is 1 x largest (i.e. the BPPC). So, to always guarantee every corner of the Galleon can use BPPCs you need 29.
Sheesh, I guess I'll have to build a factory. :roll:
x0ne wrote:Each ship will be very different though due to the actual placement of the turrets on the ship model. I recommend calculations like this for anti-cap weapons - they tend to avoid later disappointment (or death). 8)

Have you thought about why my Hammerhead would have the same problem but with enough weapons to fill every slot? Can you recreate the problem with XTM 0.7.3 ? On second thought, never mind; the upgrade should take care of it.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Spatch
x3tc

Post by Spatch » Tue, 18. Sep 07, 09:39

When I first read about the xOne TCS, I thought it was just a rip off of the RS turret scripts... then I read the details, and can't wait for the 2.0 release! I guess I'm the only person still using RS's scripts... they work well for me, but this seems perfect with the hotkey functions (and that brilliant Capture mode), not sure if I should wait for 2.0 though- I'm getting my Galleon tonight. Would it be possible to another Capture mode? The present version sounds like it's meant for ships with a main gun array that the player controls... would appreciate a mode for turret-only ships, in which one set of guns fires at the players target, but at a slower than usual rate. Keep up the good work, this sounds like an amazing piece of coding.

OFF TOPIC! Sorry, have to say this.
BTW: Hammerhead vs. Reaver... get the Reaver. Ditched my Otas Reaper for it and never looked back, the thing is an absolute BEAST. Insanely maneuverable for a Frigate, incredible turret coverage, great cargo space, amazing speed- 112 default, boosts to 152 for escapes or pursuits... but those aren't what make it rock. What really makes it rock, is the docking capabilities. It not only sports the M7-standard Corvette docking clamps... it can hold a TS as well. Hit a Xenon sector, clamp a captured P Raider to one clamp, and use your TS to pick up wares from the fight or do business with stations.
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people that it's supposed to have holes. - AdmBito

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Wed, 19. Sep 07, 00:16

Spatch wrote:When I first read about the xOne TCS, I thought it was just a rip off of the RS turret scripts... then I read the details, and can't wait for the 2.0 release! I guess I'm the only person still using RS's scripts... they work well for me, but this seems perfect with the hotkey functions (and that brilliant Capture mode), not sure if I should wait for 2.0 though- I'm getting my Galleon tonight. Would it be possible to another Capture mode? The present version sounds like it's meant for ships with a main gun array that the player controls...
No the turrets will act independently of your mains or with no mains. My problem in the Galleon was not having enough PPCs to fill all the available slots. In capture mode the turrets fire at the target till it's shields drop and there is hull damage then they stop firing until the shields are back up.

Spatch wrote:would appreciate a mode for turret-only ships, in which one set of guns fires at the players target, but at a slower than usual rate. Keep up the good work, this sounds like an amazing piece of coding.

OFF TOPIC! Sorry, have to say this.
BTW: Hammerhead vs. Reaver... get the Reaver. Ditched my Otas Reaper for it and never looked back, the thing is an absolute BEAST. Insanely maneuverable for a Frigate, incredible turret coverage, great cargo space, amazing speed- 112 default, boosts to 152 for escapes or pursuits... but those aren't what make it rock. What really makes it rock, is the docking capabilities. It not only sports the M7-standard Corvette docking clamps... it can hold a TS as well. Hit a Xenon sector, clamp a captured P Raider to one clamp, and use your TS to pick up wares from the fight or do business with stations.
I'm locked in an epic battle with a Reaver right now in my Hammerhead. When I can get on his tail and below I can get in some damage but he turns so quickly for such a large ship.... I had to peel off and recharge my shields. :evil:
I really wish I had recorded this little battle from the start. I think my new tactic when I go back will be to take out his support ships first which are really bugging me and then go after the Reaver, but it's really hard. (The best fights are though. :D )
Yeah, I think a Reaver will be my next ship, I've been thinking along those lines.

Back to On TOPIC Go ahead and get the TCS for your Galleon, just use the "no switch" command. Then you will still have the best turret commands available until 2.0 come out. :)

[EDIT] Again, you can use weapons switching if you have enough of the same weapons - 44 for the Galleon wasn't it?,
to fill the slots.

Operating System:

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Wed, 19. Sep 07, 02:28

surferx wrote:Have you thought about why my Hammerhead would have the same problem but with enough weapons to fill every slot? Can you recreate the problem with XTM 0.7.3 ? On second thought, never mind; the upgrade should take care of it.
I just took a quick look at the Hammerhead. Had a full load of 4 x APPC for the left and right turrets and didn't have a problem - both were full when they were in use. The rounds coming out of these two turrets are very close to each other though, so it did sort of look like only one gun was firing - could this be what you saw? FYI the dodgy turret hasn't been removed for XTM 0.7.3.

Spatch wrote:When I first read about the xOne TCS, I thought it was just a rip off of the RS turret scripts... then I read the details, and can't wait for the 2.0 release! I guess I'm the only person still using RS's scripts...
Although both scripts control ship turrets, they're both very different. Red Spots approach was to create a very useable and effective turret script that could be used on a lot of ships without caning the script engine. It's still used because it's so good!

My approach was a personal one actually, I don't like making broad generalisations and wanted to control every aspect of my turrets very precisely. Although I care a great deal about the eficiency of the code, I always knew that a balls-to-the-wall turret plugin was going to involve a hell of a lot of it, so it's in no way meant to be used on every ship in a fleet. With complication comes a learning curve too, so I'd recommend some time with the readme to get the most out of it.

Don't let that put you off though, it's already pretty good, and the latest version makes 1.02 look like a pile of puke... :D

surferx wrote:
Spatch wrote:the hotkey functions (and that brilliant Capture mode), not sure if I should wait for 2.0 though- I'm getting my Galleon tonight. Would it be possible to another Capture mode? The present version sounds like it's meant for ships with a main gun array that the player controls...
No the turrets will act independently of your mains or with no mains. My problem in the Galleon was not having enough PPCs to fill all the available slots. In capture mode the turrets fire at the target till it's shields drop and there is hull damage then they stop firing until the shields are back up.
Not sure if you're talking about my plugin or not mate? Capture Mode (for the x0ne TCS) stops your turrets from firing at your current target - it's as Spatch said, for ships with main guns.

I might add a different type of cap. mode later on (it would easily fit into the existing framework), just don't hold your breath ;)

surferx wrote:Again, you can use weapons switching if you have enough of the same weapons - 44 for the Galleon wasn't it?,
to fill the slots.
Yep, but atm you only need apply that rule to anti-cap weapons. When dealing with fighters, etc. there's usually more variety when it comes to weapons, so you don't necessarily need 44 BPBEs, 44 BFAAs, 44 AHEPT, etc. Think about it, with weapon switching how many times do you end up with the same weapon being used in every turret?

xyzzy
x3

Post by xyzzy » Wed, 19. Sep 07, 04:09

I haven't thought about this stuff nearly as much as you have x0ne so maybe this idea doesn't work out... but what I was initially imagining was something like this. Say there's a capital ship off the starboard side. Say I have 10 starboard turret slots, but only 4 BPPCs on board (for whatever reason - usually cash related :D ). Could the remainder 6 slots be loaded up with the next heaviest weapon, and the next, until they're filled? I'd be happy to have APPCs or heck even BHEPT or AHEPT augmenting the BPPCs. Basically I'd like all my turret slots packing *something*, even if it isn't ideal for the situation at hand.

I know there would be range issues, because BPPC out-ranges BHEPT by several Km, but I'd generally rather have all the weapons loaded up that I can get, even if some fire is wasted due to range if I'm too far from the target.

Spatch
x3tc

Post by Spatch » Wed, 19. Sep 07, 04:41

Got it installed... at first, I thought it wasn't working- my Galleon was only loading one BKyon into each array. First enemy fighter spotted, though, and the rest were fitted and fired. Every Kyon was bought from a Stevio Weapon Dealer EQD, not sure if those are recognized like the rest since they are rescripted into stock after each sale. Great stuff so far.
You've got to admire a society that can make more cheese, cheaper, by convincing people that it's supposed to have holes. - AdmBito

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Thu, 20. Sep 07, 01:50

xyzzy wrote:Could the remainder 6 slots be loaded up with the next heaviest weapon, and the next, until they're filled? I'd be happy to have APPCs or heck even BHEPT or AHEPT augmenting the BPPCs. Basically I'd like all my turret slots packing *something*, even if it isn't ideal for the situation at hand.

I know there would be range issues, because BPPC out-ranges BHEPT by several Km, but I'd generally rather have all the weapons loaded up that I can get, even if some fire is wasted due to range if I'm too far from the target.
There would actually be more range issues than I think you're aware of. The max. range of each weapon group (anti-capital, anti-fighter, area-effect) available to each ship is calculated by the plugin. These are then used heavily when scanning for targets (the plugin does not scan for fighters outside the range of a ships anti-fighter weaponary for instance), or when the Friendly-Fire Reduction System (FFRS) is scanning for friendlies.

With a mixed loadout you'd also get refire delay issues, and like I've said before, I wanted the plugin to be extremely precise at what it does. Sorry about that. :roll:

Wait for 2.0 - I think you'll like the 'Force Full Turrets' option...

Spatch wrote:Got it installed... at first, I thought it wasn't working- my Galleon was only loading one BKyon into each array. First enemy fighter spotted, though, and the rest were fitted and fired. Every Kyon was bought from a Stevio Weapon Dealer EQD, not sure if those are recognized like the rest since they are rescripted into stock after each sale. Great stuff so far.
Thanks, you'll be pleased to hear that what you've observed is correct behaviour. When scanning for a target, each turret only mounts 1 x weapon (whatever has the longest range for that turret), it only attempts to fill a turret when its finally selected a weapon to use. All weapons are the same btw - doesn't matter where you buy them from.

xyzzy
x3

Post by xyzzy » Thu, 20. Sep 07, 06:37

x0ne wrote:Wait for 2.0 - I think you'll like the 'Force Full Turrets' option...
Cool. 8)

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Thu, 20. Sep 07, 21:26

x0ne wrote: Not sure if you're talking about my plugin or not mate? Capture Mode (for the x0ne TCS) stops your turrets from firing at your current target - it's as Spatch said, for ships with main guns.
I'm not sure either now, :gruebel: Maybe I was thinking of another script, or I really believed that's what I saw the turrets doing. I probably didn't have capture mode engaged. I have it hot keyed in shift C and might have only hit the c button. I've only used it very few times.
BTW where does everyone have his hotkeys set? Mine are shift C - cap
shift X - missle defense, shift V - rescan target (I believe shift R and T are used for commands already) and I have my master switch on CAPSLock so the light on the keyboard displays turret status.

Operating System:

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Fri, 21. Sep 07, 00:31

surferx wrote:
x0ne wrote: Not sure if you're talking about my plugin or not mate? Capture Mode (for the x0ne TCS) stops your turrets from firing at your current target - it's as Spatch said, for ships with main guns.
I'm not sure either now, :gruebel: Maybe I was thinking of another script, or I really believed that's what I saw the turrets doing. I probably didn't have capture mode engaged. I have it hot keyed in shift C and might have only hit the c button. I've only used it very few times.
BTW where does everyone have his hotkeys set? Mine are shift C - cap
shift X - missle defense, shift V - rescan target (I believe shift R and T are used for commands already) and I have my master switch on CAPSLock so the light on the keyboard displays turret status.
Yeah I use a similar method, but something I've realised is that remembering the settings is a pain in the backside. I've added (yet another!) hotkey to version 2.0 that displays a TCS status report for your current ship, or one you've got targeted - should help somewhat.

Spatch
x3tc

Post by Spatch » Fri, 21. Sep 07, 03:23

I've found the numpad to work best with this, almost all of my letters are already used up... Num0 is the big On/Off switch, NumDel is Retarget, and Num1-3 control Protect Wares, Protect Ships, Capture Mode. Haven't used the Missile only and Protect Ship enough to hotkey them yet...

SenQan
x3tc

Post by SenQan » Wed, 3. Oct 07, 18:47

asyikarea51 wrote:I looked at 449004.xml and I see t id's 100000 and 100001, but in game the ware comes out as ReadText17-12143.

Well, if it works, I couldn't care less about the text LOL. Still looking for a hapless target to test the TCS on...
I have the same Problem anyone found a solution ??? i realy want to use this Script but im afraid of sneaking bugs if it isnt well insatalled :)

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Thu, 4. Oct 07, 02:42

The solution is to upgrade to the latest version (1.02), it uses the EMP instead of Custom Wares via the Plugin Manager.

You'll need to install the EMP if you're not using it yet, but please note this isn't necessary if you're running XTM as it's incorporated into the mod.

SenQan
x3tc

Post by SenQan » Sat, 6. Oct 07, 11:56

Hmm I use XTM and have the problem anyway :(

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Mon, 8. Oct 07, 09:12

Ok, but I need to know if you're running 1.02 of my plugin - I suspect you're not as the readtexts you've described can only be caused by Custom Wares, not the EMP.

1.02 does not use Custom Wares.

G.Org
x4

Post by G.Org » Mon, 8. Oct 07, 17:10

Hi there. have the following problem:
after installing TCS i get following message "ReadText7400-99991" in the log.
In the equipment docks the name of teh TCS is "ReadText17-11993".
I am using latest version of plugin manager, XTM and my game is a german version.
the TCS version is 102.
would be very appreciative for help.
"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."
- G. K. Chesterton -

x0ne
x3tc

Post by x0ne » Mon, 8. Oct 07, 23:54

G.Org wrote:Hi there. have the following problem:
after installing TCS i get following message "ReadText7400-99991" in the log.
In the equipment docks the name of teh TCS is "ReadText17-11993".
I am using latest version of plugin manager, XTM and my game is a german version.
the TCS version is 102.
would be very appreciative for help.
Sounds like the plugin language file is missing from your "t" folder, or the Plugin Manager hasn't renamed the file for use with the German language install.

The Plugin Manager should have taken the 447400.xml file from the .spk package and renamed it to 497400.xml (and also altered the language ID within the file). You could check for either of these filenames in the "t" folder, but simply re-installing the .spk package should fix it (just install again over the top, there's no need to uninstall first).

If that doesn't solve the problem, find 447400.xml in your "t" folder (or extract it from the .spk package) and rename it to 497400.xml. Then, open it up in a text editor and change the language ID (second line of the file) from 44 to 49.

The good thing is that apart from the language file not being found, everything's installed ok - "ReadText7400-99991" would normally be a message telling you the installation was a success ;)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”