[Script] Universe Explorers v1.0.1: Update Apr. 16

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Should the following be added?

Hire Explorers from the BBS
12%
Options to customize satellite deployment
18%
Both!
65%
Neither, go make some other script 7ate9tin11s
4%

Total votes: 92

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 05:50

@JMagar
Thanks for finding the conflict, I will add it to the first post.

@Phier
Experience also brings wisdom, the pilot will purchase wares needed to explore more efficiently and, eventually, will just order in wares to the edges of space so they never have to stop exploring. Then again their new addiction to exploring is just as bad as their old space weed/fuel addictions due to the 10% delivery surcharge!
Freshly bought explorers of high enough level will just order in parts they need. If you watch you will see a ts vessel jump into the sector, head to the explorer, and transport the part they need. :D

@Balto

Hmmm, a complete coverage satellite deployment option is a possibility. It would probably be a bit more than a box in some sectors though :D . As for cargo space, just use Goner Rangers, they have alot of cargo space...a bit slow though ><;;

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 06:46

As a feature request, I would like to see pilots contacting me with a request to "upgrade" their ship type. They could sell the old, and purchase a type that I've approved their request for. All equipment would be transferred, and they could start upgrading the new with tunings, better equipment, etc.

The reason I suggest this, is that all of my explorers hired so far start out with crappy little M5 or M4 ships - I have never seen anything bigger than a Buster. And they just don't have the defenses to wander into unexplored sectors in my game (like Earth), and yet they still try. Not only do they enter, but despite the presence of enemies they continue to explore those dangerous sectors and adjacent ones of the same hostile race. It might be an exception due to using XTM and still not being Terran-friendly, but 75% of my explorers have died either in Terran sectors, or in other hostile/unknown sectors.

Otherwise, a good script.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 09:41

@ Jaga
Overview

Player owned M4, M5, and Goner Rangers may hire a pilot by choosing "Start Universe Explorer..." from the navigation commands. The ship must be equipped with Explorer Software from the official bonus pack.
the original idea and abilities of this script limited pilots to specific craft, and i think a lot of people would agree that transferring them to a different class , would detract from the script not add to it.

Legionnaire

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Mon, 14. Apr 08, 09:57

That's fine, and I understand the reasoning behind it for roleplay purposes. It simply detracts from their survivability and raises the overall cost of using them. I would think however that even a M3 would have enough shielding to protect one trying to escape from danger, and it would allow it to jump in emergencies. The M4 variants just don't have enough space to hold jumpfuel and equipment.

I was rather excited to use it with a new game, and liked seeing new sectors pop up from time to time. But that newness has worn off, and I'm simply letting those I have hired die without replacing them. Even the level 24 that I somehow found and hired died within a couple of hours for whatever reason, which surprised me.

At an average cost of 120k for hiring the explorer (buying their ship/services), and an average lifetime (in my game) of 3 hours, it works out to 40k/hour, give or take. It is because of this that I wouldn't recommend budding players (or games) hire explorers - wait until you have some cash under your belt.

Just my .02

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 02:08

Any ship owned by the player with Navigational Command Software installed can drop a permanent navigational warning beacon to prevent explorers from entering a sector. Elena's Fortune in XTM is a good example sector for this. The command can be found under in your Navigational commands menu and these beacons cost 2000 credits to pay for the permits and raw materials needed.
is this including or excluding players own ship? and if you drop a permanent warning in Pirate alley how long do you reckon it would stay for? as ive just lost 1 lvl 20 and 1 lvl 24 in pirate alley, before they got a chance to drop beacons. i got warning and then the contact lost message

Legionnaire

*edit' neither my playership or any other ship that i equip nav software on is able to drop permanent beacons. is there a specific command number for this command? just in case something else im running is conflicting?
*/edit*

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 04:38

It could be a conflict, the command should appear if you have Navigational Software on any player ship of any size. The command number is COMMAND_TYPE_NAV_33 and it should appear directly below the 'Move Universe Explorer Pilot' command in the navigation menu (or close to the bottom on non-explorers). I don't see any conflicts listed under the community post so please tell me if you figure out what it is :) .

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Tue, 15. Apr 08, 13:19

well been through the plug in manager, no conflicts or even potential conflicts showing for that command. its not available on any ships i own, not even on ships currently running Universe Explorers. theres not an AL toggle ive missed or anything like that?

Legionnaire

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 04:07

I forgot to include the proper setup file for the player beacons...uploading a fix right now new minor version will be posted in a minute :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Wed, 16. Apr 08, 12:38

Missing Command has appeared now cheers muchly 7ate9tin11s

Legionnaire

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Thu, 17. Apr 08, 01:31

OK i reckon im doing something wrong. Let me explain

i flew into LoomankStrats, which is where i have lost every Explorer thats died so far in this game. i had lost a lvl 24 and i believe it was a 19. Hence wanting to drop a permanent hazard Beacon.

Anyway i flew in to drop a beacon , let it go and got out fast.

5 minutes later i got the message remote connection lost. My new level 19 that i just hired off the bbs has flown straight ou of the south gate in Ceo's Doubt into ---- Loomanks.... while there is a Warning Beacon there :!:

do we need to rename them or something?? :?: :?:

totally lost

Legionnaire :oops:

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Thu, 17. Apr 08, 03:41

A Navigational Hazard Beacon has been deployed in SectorName for 2000 credits. All universe explorers and other AP controlled ships will avoid entering SectorName to the best of their abilities until the beacon is destroyed by you or an enemy.
Hmmm...the only I time I know that an explorer will ignore a beacon is when they are under attack or overwhelmed by enemies in a sector. To the astar movement routine used for everything else, sectors with beacons literally do not exist. Was there is message prior to the destruction about abandoning the sector through the south gate or that the explorer was under attack?

Either way I will look into it and make sure that there is not some routine that I forgot to use the new movement routines in.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Thu, 17. Apr 08, 14:00

Quote:
A Navigational Hazard Beacon has been deployed in SectorName for 2000 credits. All universe explorers and other AP controlled ships will avoid entering SectorName to the best of their abilities until the beacon is destroyed by you or an enemy.
ok this is in my log, and the beacon was still active but the explorer had been targeted by a pirate falcon.

09.46 ok im going to tune my ship up

09.47 giving the i am targeted by, attempting to escape message.

09.50 then i got the it is too dangerous to explore in loomankstrats

09.51 followed by we regret to inform you..

short life span.... possibly challenges a mayfly for shortest lifespan....

and that was a lvl 19 lol

Legionnaire

Phier
x3tc

Post by Phier » Thu, 17. Apr 08, 19:39

@Phier
Experience also brings wisdom, the pilot will purchase wares needed to explore more efficiently and, eventually, will just order in wares to the edges of space so they never have to stop exploring. Then again their new addiction to exploring is just as bad as their old space weed/fuel addictions due to the 10% delivery surcharge!
Freshly bought explorers of high enough level will just order in parts they need. If you watch you will see a ts vessel jump into the sector, head to the explorer, and transport the part they need. :D
Nice, you added quite a bit since I used the early versions I see.

One feature that might be nice for the early game is a 'find all sectors' type of option, where they would not stop to explore a new sector but just go gate to gate to gate to gate.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 18. Apr 08, 05:02

@Lego

Yeah, just as I thought. They were attacked and ran to the nearest gate since the enemies were between them and the other gates. That is about the only time they will ignore the warning beacons because nothing could be more dangerous than being under attack. I guess you could say I programmed the pilots to panic :p

@Phier

The problems is that they do not know of any other gates when entering the sector and have to explore it to find another gate... ;)

Also, there is no built-in way to determine if a sector is only partially explored so if they went through the first gate they found once entering the sector then that sector may never get fully explored. :shock:

Jaga_Telesin
x4

Post by Jaga_Telesin » Sun, 20. Apr 08, 05:25

A bit of feedback regarding this script and my successes and failures with it...

My universe has had a lot of exploration done to it by the 20 or so explorers I have hired over the last five days. Most sectors (except Yaki/Xenon/Pirate) are mapped. Many of the resources in common sectors (asteroids) have been surveyed. For the 2-4 mil I spent hiring their ships, it was probably worth the time.

However (you knew this was coming..), out of those 20 explorers, only two remain alive, and they are new hires. All of the others decided to explore either in dangerous sectors (Terran in my game) or were killed OOS by one hostile ship or another. That doesn't bode well for their survival, and at best makes them a short term investment. At the rate they died, a leveling system means almost nothing at all. And at the rate they die, I probably won't hire any more.

I see their longevity as a big issue, expecially for games with the Terran sectors and their invisible race rep (doesn't show up readily). You might want to consider other options for them, like allowing them to install jumpdrives in their ships and use them to escape. If they currently do, the implementation of it is poor, as most die.

For comparison, using the EST trader script, I have had exactly 1 EST (UT) die in the last six days, and there were 20+ running all the time. That means they have exceptional longevity. I would really like to see explorers with the same level of respect for life that ESTs have. :)

Other than that, a good script. Unfortunately it is probably time for me to uninstall it, as nearly all my explorers are dead, and there is no leveling up explorers if they can't "find" anything. That means even fixes to their longevity won't make them useful to my game in the future. Sad but true.

Cheers.

7ate9tin11s
x4

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Mon, 21. Apr 08, 05:08

@Jaga

:lol: You have no idea how much time I have spent on trying to make the explorers survive longer. :D

The races that cannot be toggled are a real problem with this script. If your using the XTM universe you can drop a warning beacon in the connecting paranid sector to prevent your explorers from going up through the terran sectors (or just work on your rep :wink: ). If your in some other universe it is a bit more complicated, but I think there is a script out there that allows you to set friend/foe status for unlisted races...not sure of the link though. Explorers that have a jumpdrive and are of level to use it will, but the big problem is that most explorers have from 1MJ to 15MJ of shields. They just cannot survive the first blast from a well equipped M3 in out of sector combat. On the other hand, having an M3 as an explorer is so slow to explore sectors it is almost worthless (not to mention expensive!). Currently the only idea I have that could make the explorers last longer is for them to scan the other side of a gate before passing through to prevent ambushes (My explorers most often die to gate ambushes). If anyone has other ideas for survival I would like to hear them :)

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Mon, 21. Apr 08, 05:23

Yaki Raijin M5s (or even M4s) make good exploring ships, if you can get hold of them.

Mobuj
x3tc

Post by Mobuj » Tue, 22. Apr 08, 01:38

Fab script!

But, could you have it downloadable from, say, XAI. File sharing sites with ads :teladi: give me the wollies.
---------------------------
I am Popeye of Borg
You will be askimilated!

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 20. May 08, 18:45

I really like this script so far. Some criticisms.

1.) The station offers obsolete training.

2.) Possibly related, there may be too many levels.

3.) One problem that causes a lot of losses is fleeing a sector into another dangerous sector. Guaranteed death in my experience. Rather than fleeing back to the first dangerous sector, an explorer may be better advised to run for a station or a different jumpgate. :)

bp2019

Post by bp2019 » Wed, 21. May 08, 00:59

Perhaps fitted with a jumpdrive they could jump 3 - 5 sectors away in any direction? Assuming its explored of course, kind of like a panic jump. :D

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”