Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 16. Sep 21, 10:45

Reporting on the current activity of Cumbre Vieja volcano: Seismic network says activity has decreased since yesterday with an ongoing series of only slight earthquakes between 10 and 1 km depth. The activity can be seen in almost realtime here: http://www.ign.es/web/resources/volcano ... arias.html. My place is inside of the area of earthquakes at the northern rim, as projected from above. I haven't felt any shocks tonight.

Deformation data of the island - the Cumbre Vieja is being lifted upwards and outwards by ~6m (data from yesterday) - point to to a formidable energy and a magma intrusion and formation of a small chamber of around 11million m³ (that's a cube with edges of 100m) at a depth of ~6-7km. Deformation is measured by differential GPS and laser ranging. Press item: https://elapuron.com/noticias/sociedad/ ... cos-magma/. That's not much, but an eruption can also not be excluded, given the energy needed to lift the island and the pressure on the reservoir.

I find it cool what a sophisticated monitoring network can do :-)

--------------
I also find it alarming that there are allways these trolls, undereducated or of ill wil, that fire off dumb messages like "this is all made up", "they don't tell us the truth", "they are just making money", and that there enough of the meek following this stupid messaging.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 17:04

Since the site changed it's look and format a few years ago I was more or less shut out . Now that's all changed and though my vision is hardly any better the technology needed to see, read and participate in the site once again has me able to really appreciate how different this site is from most others out there in the cyber cosmos. I spent the last few days reading through the posts in different forums and I'm finding that overall this site is still probably one of the better sites on the web even outside of the X universe.

Just thought I'd toss that in! :wink:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 20:07

Oh damn ... I hope you are ok, BaronVerde?
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 17:27

@Mailo thank you for asking !

I am ok. The first vent opened some 500m directly up from my house. Since we were all prepared with a grab bag and information where to fly to, nobody went missing until now ! I read about isolated respiratory problems from sulphur dioxide, but no lasting injury. Those might have been nosy people hesitating too long while filming with their cell phones. May house is gone, but that's relatively minor as i have another place were i can live temporarily and it is was fully insured. I already spoke with the insurance company and they signalled cooperation.

What's worse are my Spanish neighbour's losses, many of them (several hundred, but the number is rising as the lava runs to the sea in a relatively densely populated area) have lost their livelihood and subsistence. On one side, Jose and family had their carpenter's workshop that's gone. An elder couple, he worked as a haulier until a few years ago, have lost their home. Tomas y family, retired electrical engineer, owner of a vineyard and maker of a nice wine without any added chemistry, will not find their property again. And I do not know if they all had insurance, specifically the haulier can hardly afford the cost with his small retirement pay.

Around 5500 people had to evacuated, but this number is likely to rise as the lava continues.

This really makes one cry. Will do a big donation to the animal shelter for their work, their already had problems from a previous wildfire this year in which many a property was lost (>50 houses).

One politician was already accused of pathetically and cynically rubbing their hands over the expected push to tourism, but most of them focus on giving people a perspective for the future.

Am underway, won't be in here too often in the coming days, and the whole eruption is still evolving.

Thanks again for asking !
A friendly and really sad Green Baron

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 18:19

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 20. Sep 21, 17:27
@Mailo thank you for asking !

I am ok. The first vent opened some 500m directly up from my house. Since we were all prepared with a grab bag and information where to fly to, nobody went missing until now ! I read about isolated respiratory problems from sulphur dioxide, but no lasting injury. Those might have been nosy people hesitating too long while filming with their cell phones. May house is gone, but that's relatively minor as i have another place were i can live temporarily and it is was fully insured. I already spoke with the insurance company and they signalled cooperation.

What's worse are my Spanish neighbour's losses, many of them (several hundred, but the number is rising as the lava runs to the sea in a relatively densely populated area) have lost their livelihood and subsistence. On one side, Jose and family had their carpenter's workshop that's gone. An elder couple, he worked as a haulier until a few years ago, have lost their home. Tomas y family, retired electrical engineer, owner of a vineyard and maker of a nice wine without any added chemistry, will not find their property again. And I do not know if they all had insurance, specifically the haulier can hardly afford the cost with his small retirement pay.

Around 5500 people had to evacuated, but this number is likely to rise as the lava continues.

This really makes one cry. Will do a big donation to the animal shelter for their work, their already had problems from a previous wildfire this year in which many a property was lost (>50 houses).

One politician was already accused of pathetically and cynically rubbing their hands over the expected push to tourism, but most of them focus on giving people a perspective for the future.

Am underway, won't be in here too often in the coming days, and the whole eruption is still evolving.

Thanks again for asking !
A friendly and really sad Green Baron
Puh, that's about as close as it can get, 500m from an active volcano vent :o Thanks for giving an update, I was rather worried there for a bit. Good for you that you are insured, but of course terrible for your neighbours if they lost their livelihood. I hope they could at least save mementos.
And of course politicians are the same no matter where you go.
As a personal service to all who try to keep up with my professional work:
[ external image ]

My script: Shiploot v1.04 ... loot shipwrecks, collect different loot parts and upgrade your ships!
Mein Skript: Schiffswracks looten v1.04 ... Durchsuche Schiffswracks, sammle Lootteile und verbessere Deine Schiffe!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 23:00

This is me reporting in from a hotel. I bought a ferry ticket and am idle a few days waiting for the ship to leave the island because I will take the car with me until the situation is cleared, which may take weeks or months.

Based on a drone video shown to me by a policeman I said my house is gone. This was fake news, it is surrounded by two lave flows that razed my neighbourhood, the property of the people I mentioned above, but it still exists, at least slightly damaged from fractures from the seismic shocks it had when I left.

But to illustrate the dramatic scenes people here are experience: Imagine a volcanic vent opens right in between living space and housings, its roaring, here's the moment the ninth vent goes oft, prompting more evacuations, right in the middle of a populated are. These vents open with a shock and develop over minutes to hours into slightly explosive fountains and effusive lave outflows with toxic fumes and cinder thrown up up to 300m

https://rtvc.es/ultima-hora-la-apertura ... -la-palma/

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 21:20

BaronVerde wrote:
Mon, 20. Sep 21, 23:00
This is me reporting in from a hotel. I bought a ferry ticket and am idle a few days waiting for the ship to leave the island because I will take the car with me until the situation is cleared, which may take weeks or months.
Good to hear you are OK and that there have been no fatalities. :)

I am curious though reading the above... If you don't mind me asking, where will you go now? Also, will you go back to the island once it has all stopped? I ask in particular, after seeing one " expert, " saying there could be much more to come.

That said, my mad wife who has always been fascinated by volcanoes, wants me to book us a flight out there! :o ( It's OK, I have told her they are not allowing flights, due to the risk from the ash... :roll: )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 10:51

@graypanther: The situation is getting more desperate every day. Politician scum is still letting tourists in while thousands do not know where to go. People are getting impatient, even angry. I am myself desperately searching a hole to live in, and I can pay. I kindly ask you, do not come here ! Go to Iceland or Hawai'i when there is activity, I believe in Iceland there still is.

Also, this here may be just the beginning of a longer eruptive phase. Will give you all a full write up including geological background because I have studied geology, but this will take weeks, at least.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 22:16

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 10:51
Politician scum
About sums them all up, my grandma always said they all piss in the same pot! True too and I struggle to think of a single one, anywhere, that I have any real respect for.

I am sorry if my slightly tongue in cheek comment was misinterpreted, I in no way would consider travelling to a disaster zone, if I had nothing to offer in the way of help. If my wife would want to see a volcano to such an extent, I would take her to Sicily and Etna.

I too have studied geology, not to the highest level, ( A level, ) intended to study at Cambourne School of Mines. Until I sort of came off the tracks, as it were...

Hope you get lucky and get sorted soonest, take care and stay safe. :)

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 23:33

Thank you, @greypanther, for the clarification.

When I wrote the answer I only knew that I had to leave the hotel tomorrow because of tourist reservations. Meanwhile I found a place, though at the side of a main road. They have evacuated another hotel to make room for some of the lost, and are constructing housing. I admire the Chinese for building hospitals on the green meadows in hours. It is 'only' 6 or 7,000 people here, not 100,000, who were displaced.

That's cool what you say, so you probably know a whole lot about hot-spot volcanism and that this is actually something one can film and nothing cataclysmic, like over a subduction zone or from a magma chamber exposed to seawater. Yet, when a vent opens 500m from your house cracked by seismic shocks, after days of anxious waiting, that's quite impressive. Still several times a day I see people crying, though no human lives where lost.

Seriously, Iceland or Hawai'i are the places where you should take your wife for a glimpse of an active volcano. Problem with volcanoes is, they are either harmless strombolian or hawaian, and you can watch the lava fountains, or they are cataclysmic and one must be so far away to survive that they aren't that impressive any more.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 04:17

Volcanos are pretty X2 sagt Bussi auf Bauch things, they just don't do what you want them to do when you want them to do their thing, as Tom Scott found out when he tried to do be a volcano tourist with Mount Fagradalsfjall. They expected that Volcano to just erupt for a week or two, it is still going 6 months after its first eruption with no signs of letting up, unless you are Tom Scott paying it a visit.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18

Berlins citizens voted yesterday to expropriate any real estate agency that owns 3000 or more flats in the city. They hope to stop rents from rising this way.

Expropriations so far have mostly been used when new roads needed to be build or when a village was in the way of a coal mine. This would be the first time that they are used to combat rising rents.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be ... 021-09-27/
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 16:13

clakclak wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18
Berlins citizens voted yesterday to expropriate any real estate agency that owns 3000 or more flats in the city. They hope to stop rents from rising this way.
Question - what would prevent every real estate agency to break into smaller subsidiaries below 3000 each?

If you own 3000+ properties, I'm quite sure they can afford some additional paperwork.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Mon, 27. Sep 21, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 17:19

I suspect the investigations might be similar to say those for the monopoly legislation where the authorities look for similar or associated ownership involvements. Of course some bodies might be better at hiding their administrative and financial traces than others.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 21:13

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 16:13
clakclak wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18
Question - what would prevent every real estate agency to break into smaller subsidiaries below 3000 each?

If you own 3000+ properties, I'm quite sure they can afford some additional paperwork.
Nothing from what I can tell. But that will most likely lead to people getting even more aggrivated. I was in Berlin not to long ago and the amount of hate against companies like Deutsche Wohnen is impressive.

But sure, this was a non binding referendum to begin with and I am sure there are many legal loopholes.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 23:47

Hey guys,

here's a still taken from a drone video that shows my place damaged and partly destroyed about 2 days before the lava flow took it completely:
Image.

It's in the front to the right, upper part Canarian style, lower part basalt shrouded and facing concrete. Window blinds closed, that's the white.

The whole area is now deeply covered by lava, and the eruption is going on. Meanwhile the lava reached the sea and is building up a delta. Scientist in chief of the volcanic institute of the Canaries said a simple and concise "No" when asked by a journalist if there were any signs of the process weakening or coming to an end.

But what I find fascinating (I'm a science guy) is that a slightly explosive eruption can happen right in a fairly densely inhabited area (the first vent opened with a hefty tremor right 650m up from my place !) and nobody has come to physical harm, until now. Though a lot of property and productive means was and is being lost. We get daily briefings from volcanologists, meteorology and the catastrophe management. Weather has changed, there's a fat inversion lingering, so tomorrow there may be some problems with H2S in the air. Rotten eggs, yeuch.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 00:14

Wow, that sucks. Hope you at least get a chance to rebuild.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:03

BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 23:47
Hey guys,

here's a still taken from a drone video that shows my place damaged and partly destroyed about 2 days before the lava flow took it completely:
Image.

It's in the front to the right, upper part Canarian style, lower part basalt shrouded and facing concrete. Window blinds closed, that's the white.

The whole area is now deeply covered by lava, and the eruption is going on. Meanwhile the lava reached the sea and is building up a delta. Scientist in chief of the volcanic institute of the Canaries said a simple and concise "No" when asked by a journalist if there were any signs of the process weakening or coming to an end.

But what I find fascinating (I'm a science guy) is that a slightly explosive eruption can happen right in a fairly densely inhabited area (the first vent opened with a hefty tremor right 650m up from my place !) and nobody has come to physical harm, until now. Though a lot of property and productive means was and is being lost. We get daily briefings from volcanologists, meteorology and the catastrophe management. Weather has changed, there's a fat inversion lingering, so tomorrow there may be some problems with H2S in the air. Rotten eggs, yeuch.
Unstoppable isn't it?

I am shocked to see that, it is very awe inspiring, humbling to be honest. The shocking thing is that I have long considered a move to the Canaries, ( astronomy related, ) I still do. Not because I wish to experience what you have, first hand, but because of what I read about the people who live there. This even though I read about some people abandoning their pets, which I just cannot understand. I think I would donate to the temporary animal sanctuary, if I knew their website. Perhaps you could suggest they open such a site, if they have already not. Always assuming you know them, which I assumed you did.

Anyway, hope you can recover from this. Take care and be well... :)

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 18:04

greypanther wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:03
Unstoppable isn't it?

I am shocked to see that, it is very awe inspiring, humbling to be honest. The shocking thing is that I have long considered a move to the Canaries, ( astronomy related, ) I still do. Not because I wish to experience what you have, first hand, but because of what I read about the people who live there. This even though I read about some people abandoning their pets, which I just cannot understand. I think I would donate to the temporary animal sanctuary, if I knew their website. Perhaps you could suggest they open such a site, if they have already not. Always assuming you know them, which I assumed you did.

Anyway, hope you can recover from this. Take care and be well... :)
Absolutely. Apart from behaving somewhat like a fluid the lava is also denser than any sediments or concrete one could put in its ways. And it can't be channelled like water, since it cools and gets less viscous, but is being pushed by fresh stuff from behind. Every flow is modelled individually with all known data.

I actually have donated, for my neighbours as well as for an animal shelter.

Well, if you plan to come here when reconstruction is on the way, be invited. I had a pretty decent equipment for astrophotography as well as visual, but it is gone. I doubt I can ever replace it, don't have 20000,- Euro in excess. Have to inherit first 8) Think I'll put a data leak in the window "Are you interested in a job ?" :skull: :D

Need to find a construction site,build a new house completely autarkic energy-wise, electric car, get a new pc, recreate my bookshelves, basic furniture, two cats from the shelter :) Am starting to make plans, you see !

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 17:11

Gravity (NOT gravitational !) waves, those concentric rings, at an atmospheric inversion caused by the plume of the Cumbre Vieja eruption. The inversion is being excited (yipieh) and forms waves in rings that travel from the centre outward.

https://elapuron.com/noticias/sociedad/ ... -del-aire/

Gravity waves:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

The eruption has intensified in the last days and is ongoing. On the volcanic explosivity index (VEI) it is level 2, with 0 being "something flows out", 7/8 a continental catastrophe with global effects like Mount Toba, Phlegrean Fields or Yellowstone Caldera. We're humble, aren't we ?

~1100 buildings were destroyed until now, impact on economy has not been set in numbers yet, but this is EU, this kind of money doesn't matter.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”