Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 8. Jun 23, 22:51

Apparently one Leopard has indeed been destroyed, and not an agricultural vehicle this time.

It happened in Novopokrovka.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 16:22

Honestly, this looks like replay of Cherson offensive - there was a major Ukrainian armor attack screw up with opening attack as well.
I recall one brigade lost half of personel and vechicles in opening week when they were breaking the first russian line.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 16:50

Was bound to happen. Also, russia has to play this symbolic casualties 24/7.

Besides that, other actions on the various fronts are looking good [for Ukraine] so far, judging by the russian mil bloggers. The heavy fortifications are of course a problem - especially mine fields [within artillery range]. It's some serious work needed to push through. Compared with what we saw from Russia in their last offensive the Ukraine aggressive recons aren't mindlessly directed towards the main defenses.

That damaged Leo & Bradley convoy I consider a mixture of error in jugdment [which happen - there are humans involved after all] and bad luck. It wasn't even at the front lines (were casualties are unavoidable). At least it seems like there were no human losses.

We'll see how things are going once Ukraine starts reporting - they are still very silent / cautious.
Last edited by chew-ie on Fri, 9. Jun 23, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 18:01

Hopefully at least some can get salvaged and repaired, but Russian propaganda gonna party whole weekend with this:
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status ... 8248847360

YT footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSXAaQc7EI

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 18:53

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 22. Mar 23, 12:51
At the end all of those Leos will end up destroyed in the mud. The only questions is how long they will last. War is not something that is won.
I am quoting myself here. There were too many people back then who lived in a fantasy world and those people are brought back to reality now. This is not a video game.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 19:39

So far it's mostly the media / propaganda talking about "Wunderwaffen". Military advisors always talked a different talk.

The Leopards for example got such a fixation by the Russians they are of course priority targets As it is not just a tank they can destroy - it's a symbol for "their battle against the West". If played right by Ukraine, they can use that =)

Spoiler
Show

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 9. Jun 23, 20:24

Seemingly at the time of the dam breach there is a seismic event in the area of the dam that would have required several tons of explosive, they are not saying it was the cause of the breach, but its timing is mighty suspicious. OH, and by the way, the recording was made 400 hundred miles away in Romania, which should tell you how big it had to be.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 15:23

felter wrote:
Fri, 9. Jun 23, 20:24
Seemingly at the time of the dam breach there is a seismic event in the area of the dam that would have required several tons of explosive, they are not saying it was the cause of the breach, but its timing is mighty suspicious. OH, and by the way, the recording was made 400 hundred miles away in Romania, which should tell you how big it had to be.
I've since come around to the conclusion that it almost certainly was blown up by the Russians and not an accidental dam breach, based on evidence of the explosion and intercepted phone communications.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 21:49

For those who like the style of John Sweeny (investigative journalist / author) I recommend this video: Putin will lose 'because of the spirit of Ukrainian soldiers' | John Sweeney

Topics are e.g. Russian war crimes, his interpretation of the Nova Kakhovka dam destruction, general impressions on living in Kyiv, spirit of the Ukrainian soldiers (see title)

@source www.thetimes.co.uk / on piped.kavin.rocks
alternative youtube link: https://youtube.com/watch?v=wWCWL1DUC3Q

Spoiler
Show

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 22:25

I am happy that the german führer said this:
"It is not reasonable to force Ukraine to approve and accept the raid that Putin has perpetrated and that parts of Ukraine became russian just like that."

The offensive will show the power of UKR will to recapture occupied territories, and restore the old boarders. Maybe they have to wait a little bit longer, until they restored a mighty airforce. But RU cannot conquer Europe or East of Ukraine. Putin will fail, and Selensky will get all the glory. UKR will join NATO and EU, and RU has to rebuild what they destroyed.-but i am not sure about that......

No, how can this german #$$%&! say such @#$% words? It does not help UKR, and NATO still has no balls !!!111

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 10. Jun 23, 22:44

That's just a summary of what'll happen. That last part about who is paying the rebuild is the wildcard. Without a major breakdown of Russia and their will to come back to the international community (which will be bound to certain terms - otherwise they stay shunned for a long time) this won't happen. As it would take yet another war to force them to pay up. My guess is that they'll be grumpy for a few decades and Ukraine will move on without getting money from Russia. But the West might use all the confiscated Russian property to at least provide some compensation.

Spoiler
Show

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 05:22

Looks like Ukraine has broken through Russian front lines (not the smaller 1.4km in Bakhmut) over a large area and is making advances. Hopefully they are being patient and smart about it and not wasting people.

Russia also experienced an ambush similar to Ukraine's and other equipment being blown up.

Russia's apparently building a drone factory.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/white-hous ... -1.6434763

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 07:58

@chew-ie
"International community" - you mean that few 100 Mio ppl with the self-proclaimed democratic and moral values?

RU still makes business and is with an "international community" called BRICS. I do not think that they will throw them out.
On the other hand, Saudi-Arabia tries to distance from the western Int.Com. They will probably (finally) fall out of favor soon, ultimately?

South Afrika wants to start a peace initiative, at least someone who tries it.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 11:07

EGO_Aut wrote:
Sun, 11. Jun 23, 07:58
@chew-ie
"International community" - you mean that few 100 Mio ppl with the self-proclaimed democratic and moral values?
Yes, the few hundred million of the international community.

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/13/how-co ... emn-russia

That's 143 countries voted to condemn, 45 abstained (including the most populous nations), and 5 voted "no". Oh, even Brazil, part of BRICS, voted to condemn. Would they force them to pay rebuild costs? Well, funnily enough, they've had a vote about that.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/un ... 022-11-14/

93 countries voted yes, 71 abstained (including BRICS nations India, Brazil and South Africa), only 14 voted no (including China). So, they've passed a resolution that includes calling on Russia to pay reparations to Ukraine already (although the lowest amount of support for any resolution passed at that point).

So yes, the International community. Any questions?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 11:39

That's just a (IMHO laughable) attempt to do some PR / being seen on the international parquet. I personally don't think there will be any outcome from this - besides talking the talk. I guess until this conflict ends we'll see even more of these artificial "peace initiatives", mainly fueled by Russia trying to break the western support of Ukraine. I don't want to wrong the real pacifists - but most peace talk can be considered fake. The moment Ukraine and their allies give in to that Russia would just build up and [try to] roflstomp Ukraine later. So the best chance for real peace is: throw Russia out of Ukraine. Sometimes the kids have to be shown their limitations.

The real & helpful peace initiative would be coming from inside Russia - from the Russian people. But I guess this is going to happen right after hell is frozen. :roll:
Last edited by chew-ie on Sun, 11. Jun 23, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 11:41

Ah, the good old BRICS that only exist in delusional Russian minds.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 12:23

Oh looky here - yet another relict of the past dug out:
Defence minister Sergei Shoigu was shown on state television awarding the “Hero of Russia gold star”, Russia’s highest military honour, to soldiers who said they had destroyed enemy tanks and armoured vehicles.

The soldiers did not identify the tanks in public.
@source theguardian.com via Reuters

Spoiler
Show

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 12:30

EGO_Aut wrote:
Sun, 11. Jun 23, 07:58
I *almost* missed this...

South Africa wants to start a peace initiative? Very noble. Several countries have, of course, already attempted to do this.

So, this South Africa?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/1 ... -to-russia
Amongst the things we noted were the docking of the Russian cargo ship Lady R in Simon’s Town between December 6 and December 8, 2022, which we are confident uploaded weapons, ammunitions … as it made its way back to Russia,” Brigety said in a briefing to local journalists, as cited by the Reuters news agency.

“Arming of Russia by South Africa with the vessel … is fundamentally unacceptable,” Brigety said, adding that senior US officials had “profound concerns” about South Africa not respecting its professed policy of non-alignment and neutrality with regard to Russia’s war.
Of course, only accusations, so make of it what you will - but if they've been covertly attempting to supply arms to support Russia in the war, while later turning around and talking about a peace initiative, then surprising don't you think? ;)

Additionally, a staunch ally of Russia so far, there's internal pressure to arrest Putin should he arrive at a summit held in the country, in order to comply with the ICC

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international ... 541_4.html
South Africa's leading opposition party said on Tuesday, May 30, it had taken legal action to force the government to arrest Vladimir Putin if the Russian President were to attend a planned summit in the country.
so may have to try and "work around it"

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/06/07/so ... cc-arrest/
Pretoria is attempting to resolve the dilemma of hosting Russian President Vladimir Putin at the BRICS summit while also, as a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC), being obliged to arrest and send him to The Hague following the ICC’s issuance of a warrant for his arrest for war crimes in Ukraine.
I'm sure all parties will be welcoming South Africa's attempts to broker peace - but if Putin arrives and they don't arrest, I can't imagine Ukraine is going to take them seriously given the allegations of supplying weapons as well. Furthermore, as everyone else who's tried so far finds out, both sides are currently not interested in negotiating given the others demands. Sadly it needs to draw on for a while yet.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 16:31

I wonder if Hitler ever tried to negotiate peace. May need to refresh my memory on this.

I do recall one piece of propaganda that said it was pointless to fight them as they came to liberate.

I mean Nazi regime of course, not Kremlin. Or do I.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 17:21

Russia is trying to take full control of the Wagner group and making them a direct part and responsible to the Russia army, of course Yevgeny Prigozhin is not a happy bunny about this and is saying his troops will not be part of the Russia army and will not sign or agree with the contracts they are being told to sign, which have to be signed by July 1, I wonder what happens to any who refuse to sign.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”