Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 25. Dec 23, 17:14

The Outer Worlds is free to claim on Epic Store today.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 3. Jan 24, 18:21

A Plague Tale: Innocence free on Epic games store.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 5. Jan 24, 06:57

Guardians of the Galaxy free on Epic games store until January 11, 2024.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 7. Jan 24, 13:19

I wish all these freebies were not on the epic games store, but on like GoG or steam. The wait continues...

Awesome updates by the way, thank you.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 7. Jan 24, 14:43

Portal: Revolution (mod)
Free for everyone who owns portal 2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6013 ... evolution/

I'm downloading it, created by Second Face Software.

PS, you don't need portal 2 installed, (at least it doesn't seem like it, just that you need to own it) 5.4 gb download, and 10.8 full install) so it might include portal 2 base, not sure. as I'm still downloading it. But for the trailer, it looks pretty good. Loved the portal games.

Edit

The game uses a modded version of portal 2, licended by valve. and the story takes place between portal 1 and 2. Going to fire it and and see what it's like. The game length may very depending on how well you did with the original games. so between 5 to 8 hours.

Edit 2

The game is standalone. and feels very much like the portal games. So anyone who enjoyed those games, will fit right in.
Last edited by matthewfarmery on Sun, 7. Jan 24, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 7. Jan 24, 14:49

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 7. Jan 24, 13:19
I wish all these freebies were not on the epic games store, but on like GoG or steam. The wait continues...
I was the same as you, with Steam as platform of choice.

For years I was just hoarding Epic free games via website login, but finally decided to install Epic Store Client two months ago.

It's not that bad, if you have really low bar. The GUI and browsing is very bad comparing to Steam.
Aditionally, I don't have Epic client on auto-start and I just run it when I want to play/download a game.

Still, I'll never buy Epic store exclusives as they are nothing more than paid betas :D.
It's better to wait 1-2 years for Steam premiere with superior product, often at discount price.
However, free giveaway games are often good games, that I knew, but never tried. There is also a good indie free game from time to time.

Out of like 300+ titles that I claimed at Epic, about 100 was good ones.

Last, but not least, both GoG and Steam do organize free giveaways from time to time - just not as regularry and frequently as Epic.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 7. Jan 24, 17:31

Do you know that you do not always have to run the awful Epic game store launcher to play a game, doesn't work with all games, for example Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy which they are currently giving away for free, I think it is to do with DRM as Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy uses Denuvo. All you have to do is create a shortcut to the game's launcher, don't use Epic to do this as their shortcut will also start Epic up. You create the link by right-clicking on a games launcher and use send to - Desktop (create shortcut). Now Right-click on the newly created shortcut on the desktop and under the shortcut tab in the target box add -EpicPortal for example for me with Subnautica the target link is:

Code: Select all

"G:\Epic Game\Games\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe" -EpicPortal
As I said it doesn't always work, and sometimes you don't even need to use the -EpicPortal command, for Example Death Stranding doesn't need it, but I have it added anyway, whereas with Subnautica if it's not added the game will CTD when you launch it. I currently only have 7 Epic games installed, and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is the only one that it doesn't work with. By the way, if you haven't figured it out, you use the desktop shortcut to launch the game.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

KarlSten
xr

Post by KarlSten » Tue, 9. Jan 24, 12:28

grapedog wrote:
Sun, 7. Jan 24, 13:19
Epic is doing this to grow fast and increase their market share. And they can do it because they have a big corporation in their back with lots of money. As far as I know EGS is financially still deep in the reds.
Gog has neither the games nor the finances to give away triple-A games and steam doesn't have to because it's still the monopolist with a market share of over 90% or so.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 9. Jan 24, 14:47

Can we please stick to sharing recommendations for (cheap/free) games in this thread and discuss opinions on games providers and their marketing policies elsewhere thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:38

Steam has some free stuff currently:

Dead Island Riptide Definitive Edition

RPG Maker XP - many versions just the XP version free

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 1. Mar 24, 21:53

Space Crew is free to claim on Steam untill 14th of March:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1176 ... y_Edition/

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 7. Mar 24, 17:09

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will be free to claim on Epic next week, between 14 Mar and 21 Mar.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 31. Mar 24, 23:08

Not free but a good price.

On steam, you can get Green Hell for its normal RRP of £19.49 and when it's on sale the lowest I have seen it for is £9.74 but here's the thing, right now the bundle pack which is the full game plus the Official Soundtrack you can get the game for £6.72. Makes sense, buy more, and it costs less than the game ever has by itself. :gruebel: Personally I don't care about the soundtrack, but the game is certainly worth the £6.72. The game is another survival game, and it's pretty good if you like those types of games. It's like NMS where since it was released there have been numerous updates, and they have not charged for a single one, currently they are on free update #19.

Here's something else I just found out, if you like MMO's Final Fantasy 14 base game, the original release without any of the DLC is free. It is the full game up to level 60 I think it is, but there are a few restrictions in the sense of chat is limited, and some banking is not accessible and trading is also limited these are all to stop gold buyers you know the guys who say that them buying game gold does not affect anyone, well here it does if it wasn't for them, I suspect these limitations would not be needed. Anyway, it doesn't affect the gameplay, it is still fully playable from crafting to all the original dungeons. One thing I don't like for the first 30 days you get a free EXP boost, and you can't turn it off which means you level up pretty darn quickly, but if you create a character on a server after the 30 days are up the EXP boost on that server gets removed, and you can play the game the way it was meant to be played with the restrictions of course. So I would personally recommend creating a free account creating a character on a server, quitting and then go back to the game 30 days later.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 12:28

I just found out that someone has made a remake of the original settlers game on PC. its named serflings

https://www.simpleguide.net/sg/serflings.jsf

currently at version 2.0.0

It has some enhancements over the original game. However, you need one file from the original,

SPAE.PA (or SPAD.PA for German, SPAF.PA for French) also needs java to run. most of the features of the original are in. I really loved the original game. so worth a shoutout if you got the original game, or the history collection version from ubisoft.
=

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 14:15

matthewfarmery wrote:
Tue, 2. Apr 24, 12:28
I just found out that someone has made a remake of the original settlers game on PC. its named serflings

https://www.simpleguide.net/sg/serflings.jsf

currently at version 2.0.0

It has some enhancements over the original game. However, you need one file from the original,

SPAE.PA (or SPAD.PA for German, SPAF.PA for French) also needs java to run. most of the features of the original are in. I really loved the original game. so worth a shoutout if you got the original game, or the history collection version from ubisoft.
There is also https://www.widelands.org/ - an open source game very close to settlers II. It's even available for linux. =)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 2. Apr 24, 15:06

That looks good as well, enjoyed 2. at least before ubi butchered the series. even the remake of 2 wasn't that great compared to the original. I stopped playing the games after 4. and now in more recent games, they turned the game into something it isn't and not worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the link for the open source version of 2. awesome.
=

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 02:35

The Outer Worlds spacers choice edition and Thief (2014 version ) are free April 4, 2024 to April 11, 2024 on Epic games. Both are ok games.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 17:11

INDUSTRIA is free to claim on Epic this week.

Next week it will be Orcs Must Die! 3

Return to “Off Topic English”