Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by burger1 » Thu, 20. Oct 22, 22:19

Looks like severing internet cables might be the next attack on allied infrastructure.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/t ... in-france/

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 21. Oct 22, 11:55

That could be counter-productive as some internet junkies might become so incensed and/or bored that they go and fight against the aggressor instead,
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 20:51

Looking for a new job no previous experience required.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 22:09

Yeah - they are really nice. Even considering letting you lead the country a second time if you screwed up the first time.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 24. Oct 22, 01:40

Johnson fancied himself for a second bite at the apple, but he has now pulled out saying he got 102 votes, while he needed 100, there is no way of knowing if he actually got 102 or not, but even if he did, those 102 should be ashamed of themselves for even voting for him in the first place. :rant:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 25. Oct 22, 20:37

Looky here - yet another Brexiteer leaves the circus. I'd laugh if it weren't so awful. :rant:

---
chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 26. Apr 22, 12:44
Some guy bought twitter: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... deal-tesla
Wow that was fast! /s

Elon Musk claims he has acquired Twitter ‘to help humanity’

Sooo... I guess by "to help humanitiy" he is not talking about shutting down one "social" media for good? Image

Spoiler
Show

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 5. Nov 22, 01:58

I have to say Musk acquirement of Twitter is turning out to be very entertaining, it is just another comedy show as things are not going the way he thought they would, and I suspect that twitters future is not very secure, I actually wouldn't be surprised in the least if it totally crashed and burned under his leadership. While I feel sorry for all of those he is quite happily firing, I certainly don't feel any kind of sympathy for Musk. One of the things that gets me is he is surprised that other car manufacturers are cancelling their advertisements, I mean seriously, why would they want to give their money to their competitor, and he doesn't understand this, blaming it all on activists. :rofl:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 5. Nov 22, 13:49

felter wrote:
Sat, 5. Nov 22, 01:58
I have to say Musk acquirement of Twitter is turning out to be very entertaining, it is just another comedy show as things are not going the way he thought they would, and I suspect that twitters future is not very secure, I actually wouldn't be surprised in the least if it totally crashed and burned under his leadership. While I feel sorry for all of those he is quite happily firing, I certainly don't feel any kind of sympathy for Musk. One of the things that gets me is he is surprised that other car manufacturers are cancelling their advertisements, I mean seriously, why would they want to give their money to their competitor, and he doesn't understand this, blaming it all on activists. :rofl:
It would be funny, if not that it's just a start of general trend across various industries.
After 2 years of COVID, now coming years of war/inflation/debt crisis, most of companies will have to cut costs and remove needles bloat, which in most cases means employees.

Meta burning bilions on trash VR will be next, various tech companies as well.
Entertain and news industry already started layoffs this year.
Many banks start layoffs as well.

in several months, everyone else will be on restructiring train as well.

Lets have a lot of laught with Twitter, coz soon it won't be as fun.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 5. Nov 22, 20:43

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 5. Nov 22, 13:49
felter wrote:
Sat, 5. Nov 22, 01:58
It would be funny, if not that it's just a start of general trend across various industries.
After 2 years of COVID, now coming years of war/inflation/debt crisis, most of companies will have to cut costs and remove needles bloat, which in most cases means employees.

Meta burning bilions on trash VR will be next, various tech companies as well.
Entertain and news industry already started layoffs this year.
Many banks start layoffs as well.

in several months, everyone else will be on restructiring train as well.

Lets have a lot of laught with Twitter, coz soon it won't be as fun.
And I never said it was funny, I said it was funny that it wasn't going Musk's way like he expected it to, not just that I have also shown more remorse for those people losing their jobs than Musk has, all he has said was he had to do it because Twitter was losing $4 million per day. Not once has he shown concern or even apologized for the situation they are in, no concern just frustration that he is losing money and of course he can't afford to lose money, he is only worth a 1/2 a trillion dollars after all. I would also like to know just how much Twitter was losing before he took over, because it wasn't 4 million per day, so a lot of the money woes is on his back, he is the one who has made it worse and the way he is going about things he is just making even worse, the guy is a Trump through and through, 100% pure idiot and I will laugh at him all day long while wishing those he has hurt all the best in their future. One other thing, remember he has done this just so he could get his own way, he has not done any of this for the betterment of either Twitter or the world, just his own ego.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 5. Nov 22, 21:19

felter wrote:
Sat, 5. Nov 22, 20:43
Not once has he shown concern or even apologized for the situation they are in.
Jack Dorsey is shouldering the blame for the situation Twitter employees find themselves in:
Jack Dorsey wrote: I realize many are angry with me. I own the responsibility for why everyone is in this situation: I grew the company size too quickly. I apologize for that.
Twitter is/was overstaffed by a long shot. Even with bloated staffing (or perhaps because of it), Twitter has been slow to roll out new features or adapt to changing times. No one relishes the loss of jobs, but sometimes it is necessary to eliminate the deadwood in order to save the company. This sort of thing is not unusual when companies change ownership.

Who knows whether or not Musk can revive Twitter. Personally I don't particularly care. Nevertheless, I don't quite understand the vitriol being directed at Musk in this case. I suppose many of those who are hating on Musk over Twitter, were not exactly in favor of him previously either.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 03:03

I don't care either way myself, though as I have said I feel for those who have lost their livelihood. But, to show you just how insane the sackings are, there was a group whose job was to monitor misinformation and conspiracy theories and nip them in the bud before they could do harm, and next week what with the American midterm elections they were geared up for their busiest time of the year, and he sacked them all, each and every one of them, so the lead up to a very important election will be a free for all as there will be little to no moderation, makes sense. This is why all of those companies are pulling their advertisement from Twitter, they don't want to be associated with these types of messages and misinformation, now that to me makes sense to me.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 10:19

The irony is that Musk wants 'freedom of expression' on Twitter, yet surrounds himself with personal retinues that pander to his ego and beam at his eccentric cavorting rather than lose their well-paid jobs. :gruebel:

That apart, he seems to have a hard head for business.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 13:04

Another thing to note, is that Trump may also get his account reinstated in a few months. However, in response to this, both advertisers and celebrities have said, they will leave Twitter if Trump returns. Also if he does return, then that will prove that his own social media platform was a huge failure.

As for Twitter in general, I not used it in ages, and no plans on returning. I personally think the whole platform is a waste of space and should be given up as a bad job or joke. So if it does fail badly, then serves the company right. Especially the Musk, someone who has way too much money to burn and to buy something as pointless as Twitter.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 16:41

The first thing you have to know about Musk, while he may be worth over $500 Billion he does not have any money, he doesn't get a wage at the end of the month and never gets any kind of cash award that can be taxed, this means he never pays any kind of tax, and he is proud of that fact. As far as I'm aware, everything he has is paid for by Tesla, SpaceX and probably Twitter now. Even his purchase of Twitter was not paid for with his own cash, I know 40% of it was paid for by Saudi Arabia, not sure where the other 60% came from but it most certainly didn't come out of his bank account.

A lot of people are now asking why and how did he decide to sack who he did, as there does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason over them, remember he made those decisions of thousands sacked in under 7 days. Another example, a group he has fired are sorry were the people who take care of the Twitter algorithm, which is used to make sure everything is safe and above board among other things, replacing them would be one thing but just getting rid of them makes no sense at all, it's an important job in the daily running and functioning of Twitter. There are also now several lawsuits over how he has sacked these people, there are at least two in the US and I wouldn't be surprised if a few more pops up over the coming days.

There are more and more now also saying he is in way over his head and has no clue what he is doing or how to do it, I don't know, but time will tell. Making sackings is one thing, but all he seems to be doing is making a mess of things. As I have said, this makes no difference to me in the least, but it is still interesting to me, it's like watching a train wreck in super slow motion.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 17:15

felter wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 16:41
The first thing you have to know about Musk, while he may be worth over $500 Billion he does not have any money, he doesn't get a wage at the end of the month and never gets any kind of cash award that can be taxed, this means he never pays any kind of tax, and he is proud of that fact. As far as I'm aware, everything he has is paid for by Tesla, SpaceX and probably Twitter now. Even his purchase of Twitter was not paid for with his own cash, I know 40% of it was paid for by Saudi Arabia, not sure where the other 60% came from but it most certainly didn't come out of his bank account.
Jesus, so many economic illterates that I'm amaze the world hasn't crashed yet.

Unless US tax law is not from this planet, Musk paid more taxes than everyone on this forum combined - simply by various taxes attached to both selling and buying shares for finalization of the Twitter deal.

There are vast amount of other taxes, beyond income tax.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 17:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 17:15
Jesus, so many economic illterates that I'm amaze the world hasn't crashed yet.
Working on it, stay tuned.

Spoiler
Show

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 12:52

felter wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 16:41

A lot of people are now asking why and how did he decide to sack who he did, as there does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason over them, remember he made those decisions of thousands sacked in under 7 days. Another example, a group he has fired are sorry were the people who take care of the Twitter algorithm, which is used to make sure everything is safe and above board among other things, replacing them would be one thing but just getting rid of them makes no sense at all, it's an important job in the daily running and functioning of Twitter. There are also now several lawsuits over how he has sacked these people, there are at least two in the US and I wouldn't be surprised if a few more pops up over the coming days.

There are more and more now also saying he is in way over his head and has no clue what he is doing or how to do it, I don't know, but time will tell. Making sackings is one thing, but all he seems to be doing is making a mess of things. As I have said, this makes no difference to me in the least, but it is still interesting to me, it's like watching a train wreck in super slow motion.
I did not know that, and in that case, then Twitter will surely fall. I am not up to date with the sackings, but it feels that Musk is clueless on what he is doing. I guess in the coming months, we will find out if Twitter is still running. Especailly if it running on empty (not paying its bills, or not been able to pay it's bills) If it goes down in flames, then it's loss is no big deal.
=

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:33

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 13:04
I personally think the whole platform is a waste of space and should be given up as a bad job or joke.
Are there social media platforms that are genuinely useful?

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:50

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:33
matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 13:04
I personally think the whole platform is a waste of space and should be given up as a bad job or joke.
Are there social media platforms that are genuinely useful?
Personally, not really, there is facebook, as well, another site I don't really use or care for. after that, there are other alternatives but they are more far right, controversial platforms, (like a former president's one) But to me, I just find them all a total waste of space.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the firing of so many people concerning Twitter, could be a signal that the platform is heading in a bad direction, allowing more hate speech and conspiracy crackpots etc. If that is the case, then it wouldn't surprise me in the least, especially if the GOP wins both the house and senate. Granted this is really a separate issue, but I wonder if with so many divides that America is going through, then this latest trend concerning Twitter could be a bad sign for what is coming?
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 19:02

Meta announce layoffs, possibly bigger than Twitter, coming this week.

As I said before, this is the signs of a bigger problem - in general, we lived in total anomaly of 0% rates (some countries were even going into negative rates!) for far too long, making that taking credits/debt was very easy and very preferable for most big corporations, funding expansions and bloat hiring.

Now with everyone rasing rates and rasing it high, the cheap debt El Dorado has ended.

Neither Twitter, not Meta are the only one and Elon is not the only one.

Return to “Off Topic English”