Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chew-ie
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 6. Nov 22, 17:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 17:15
Jesus, so many economic illterates that I'm amaze the world hasn't crashed yet.
Working on it, stay tuned.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 12:52

felter wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 16:41
The first thing you have to know about Musk, while he may be worth over $500 Billion he does not have any money, he doesn't get a wage at the end of the month and never gets any kind of cash award that can be taxed, this means he never pays any kind of tax, and he is proud of that fact. As far as I'm aware, everything he has is paid for by Tesla, SpaceX and probably Twitter now. Even his purchase of Twitter was not paid for with his own cash, I know 40% of it was paid for by Saudi Arabia, not sure where the other 60% came from but it most certainly didn't come out of his bank account.

A lot of people are now asking why and how did he decide to sack who he did, as there does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason over them, remember he made those decisions of thousands sacked in under 7 days. Another example, a group he has fired are sorry were the people who take care of the Twitter algorithm, which is used to make sure everything is safe and above board among other things, replacing them would be one thing but just getting rid of them makes no sense at all, it's an important job in the daily running and functioning of Twitter. There are also now several lawsuits over how he has sacked these people, there are at least two in the US and I wouldn't be surprised if a few more pops up over the coming days.

There are more and more now also saying he is in way over his head and has no clue what he is doing or how to do it, I don't know, but time will tell. Making sackings is one thing, but all he seems to be doing is making a mess of things. As I have said, this makes no difference to me in the least, but it is still interesting to me, it's like watching a train wreck in super slow motion.
I did not know that, and in that case, then Twitter will surely fall. I am not up to date with the sackings, but it feels that Musk is clueless on what he is doing. I guess in the coming months, we will find out if Twitter is still running. Especailly if it running on empty (not paying its bills, or not been able to pay it's bills) If it goes down in flames, then it's loss is no big deal.
=

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:33

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 13:04
I personally think the whole platform is a waste of space and should be given up as a bad job or joke.
Are there social media platforms that are genuinely useful?

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:50

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 7. Nov 22, 18:33
matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 6. Nov 22, 13:04
I personally think the whole platform is a waste of space and should be given up as a bad job or joke.
Are there social media platforms that are genuinely useful?
Personally, not really, there is facebook, as well, another site I don't really use or care for. after that, there are other alternatives but they are more far right, controversial platforms, (like a former president's one) But to me, I just find them all a total waste of space.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the firing of so many people concerning Twitter, could be a signal that the platform is heading in a bad direction, allowing more hate speech and conspiracy crackpots etc. If that is the case, then it wouldn't surprise me in the least, especially if the GOP wins both the house and senate. Granted this is really a separate issue, but I wonder if with so many divides that America is going through, then this latest trend concerning Twitter could be a bad sign for what is coming?
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Nov 22, 19:02

Meta announce layoffs, possibly bigger than Twitter, coming this week.

As I said before, this is the signs of a bigger problem - in general, we lived in total anomaly of 0% rates (some countries were even going into negative rates!) for far too long, making that taking credits/debt was very easy and very preferable for most big corporations, funding expansions and bloat hiring.

Now with everyone rasing rates and rasing it high, the cheap debt El Dorado has ended.

Neither Twitter, not Meta are the only one and Elon is not the only one.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 00:21

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Nov 22, 19:02
I wonder if we are seeing a general decline in interest with the toxicity that social media has become so saturated with? Perhaps more people are recognizing that they have more interest in their offline lives, than spending so much time with online ones? One can only hope.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 14:29

Observe wrote:
Tue, 8. Nov 22, 00:21
mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Nov 22, 19:02
I wonder if we are seeing a general decline in interest with the toxicity that social media has become so saturated with? Perhaps more people are recognizing that they have more interest in their offline lives, than spending so much time with online ones? One can only hope.
People use it for the wrong reasons get disillusioned.

I mean the BBC had a thing many years ago where news articles online would nearly always end with several quotes of people from twitter about said news. News is news. People's opinions about it isn't news. Why is it in the news then. People get a platform to voice their opinions, doesn't mean their opinion is worth listening to, let alone has any value or merit.

Then again, I don't get why you'd engage on twitter. He says, posting on a forum... about things. Wait... what!? :D :D :D

People overconsuming may realise and give them up. Others will continue on, somehow they've worked it into their day as a valuable/meaningful/necessary thing. Why escapes me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63482162
When Gayle Macdonald reached a summit in Spain's Sierra Nevada mountain range earlier this year, she didn't just stop and take in the moment.

Instead, the 45-year-old did what a great many people would do - she looked for the best spot to take a selfie for her social media accounts. Gayle even admits that she moved dangerously close to the edge while doing so.

It was after that moment, for which she was berated by her husband, that she decided to quit social media.

"I was like, 'this has got to stop,'" recalls Gayle, a British expat who lives near the Spanish city of Granada. "Taking a photo was previously the first thing I thought about when I got out of the car.

"Thinking all the time about creating content, and worrying about what to say, was taking up too much headspace and getting me down."

A week later she posted on Facebook and Instagram that she would be leaving the platforms. "It was amazing how it was my most-liked post on Instagram. Everyone was commenting 'I wish I could do that' and 'you're so brave'."
I find the entire article both hilarious, shocking and sad. How this is news I don't know... because the article doesn't seem to indicate that they had any realisations really. As in about themselves. It's not the platforms fault they were like this... and the cynic in me thinks if they were remotely *successful* in what they were trying to achieve, they'd not have had this change in attitude.

Now the hypocrisy about posting here when this is a form of social media. Years ago I think it was I posted that i put too much effort into responses on threads here; as in researching answers, and trying to give well weighted opinion backed by actual evidenced information available. It felt like a huge effort waste because... it changed nothing. I guess that was my "realisation", but there's a significant difference. I've never gone out of my way to do something to "create" content like the person living for Instagram postings. So, not quite parallel. This just fulfils some form of social interaction / discussion for me. I get to read some opinions on things, and get to voice my own. Is it so different really? I just realised ages ago there's limited reason to interact beyond a certain point. This may be my longest post in ages :D I guess to support the question posed, if this was a toxic cesspool I'd probably stop... so maybe you're right. But I could also just avoid the toxic bits and still get my fix of "my opinion..." :D

Forgot what point i was trying ot make. Actually, don't think there is one. Other than I doubt people will quit due to toxicity. You have to engage in toxicity... just don't read that crap and stay away from those topics. It's not that hard.

Now whether a platform should therefore allow borderline illegal or illegal opinions/expressions to thrive is entirely different. And there's going to be a huge hazy patch between legality and all that grey area leading up to it (as in not actually being prosecutable hate speech, but definitely inciting/influencing/creating the self propagating thing - words fail me today, there's a term for it). With his focus on money, surely Musk'll follow the path of cash reward. If sponsors/adverts are pulled because Twitter takes a route they're uncomfortable advertising on due to public perceptions, then Twitter will enact rules/regs etc to compensate.
Appeal to the advertisers corporate social responsibility and Twitter will toe the line, for financial reasons if nothing else.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 15:05

Meta is laying off 11'000 people, 13% of all staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 17:20

Yeah, but at least it was done with respect, honour and dignity towards the ones being laid off, especially compared to Musk and Twitter sackings. A single paragraph in the BBC coverage of it says it all:
While Mr Musk took to Twitter to say the firm had no choice because it was losing millions of dollars every day, Mark Zuckerberg's statement was very contrite. He took responsibility, he said, and he was sorry.
Like Zuckerberg or not, at least he has the balls to stand up and say sorry to those who are losing their livelihoods, which is more than can be said about Musk. Man of the year, more like pratt of the year.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:08

felter wrote:
Wed, 9. Nov 22, 17:20
Like Zuckerberg or not, at least he has the balls to stand up and say sorry to those who are losing their livelihoods, which is more than can be said about Musk.
Zuckerberg has cause to apologize, because he is responsible for mistakes made with Meta. Jack Dorsey apologized for Twitters predicament, because he is responsible for mistakes made there. Musk, on the other hand, having inherited Twitters troubles only recently, has nothing to apologize for.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:15

felter wrote:
Wed, 9. Nov 22, 17:20
Yeah, but at least it was done with respect, honour and dignity towards the ones being laid off, especially compared to Musk and Twitter sackings. A single paragraph in the BBC coverage of it says it all:
Respect or not, it doesn't mater - if this is start of general trend (at best only in big tech, at worst everywhere), these people are screwed no matter if Zuck gently whisper "I'm sorry" in their ears, or Elon throw insults at them.

Microsoft and Alphabet already had some rounds of layoff, more are most probably come soon.

I start to worry this might cascade so much, that 2008 will looks like good times.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Wed, 9. Nov 22, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:27

I'm sorry, but musk has a responsibility towards all the staff at Twitter, he took on that responsibility when he bought it, no one forced it upon him, it's called humanity to actually care for those other than one's self, to put the lives and dignity of others above money, I mean what would it have cost him just to have said, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to lay off some staff members rather than, I'm Effing losing money, so you can all eff off and die for all I care. There is no defence on how Musk has handled his acquisition of Twitter and how he has looked down on and treated the staff of Twitter, he has treated them as though they were a rotten piece of meat that has to be thrown out with no respect for them, in the least. It's not just Twitter though that is effected, the share price in Tesla has lost about 20% since he took over Twitter, which the main investors are blaming it on his take-over and handling of Twitter.

Honestly, you need to take a step back and take in just what you are saying, I mean what you are saying you can treat people like shit just because you can, it has nothing to do with trends or good times or bad times, it's about how you treat your fellow human beings, on how you would like to be treated if it was you in their shoes, it's about just pure and simple manners.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:55

felter wrote:
Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:27
Honestly, you need to take a step back and take in just what you are saying, I mean what you are saying you can treat people like shit just because you can, it has nothing to do with trends or good times or bad times, it's about how you treat your fellow human beings, on how you would like to be treated if it was you in their shoes, it's about just pure and simple manners.
It is our modern economic system that strives for the impossibility of perpetual economic growth that shits on people. There has to be losers to fuel the next period of illusory prosperity. Yes, it is possible and perhaps even preferable to sugar-coat bad news. Yes it is just pure and simple manners. I wonder though, how much consolation can be derived from the words "I am sorry we had to fire you", while suffering from unemployment, homelessness and starving to death from starvation or suicide.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 10. Nov 22, 15:28

felter wrote:
Wed, 9. Nov 22, 18:27
I'm sorry, but musk has a responsibility towards all the staff at Twitter, he took on that responsibility when he bought it, no one forced it upon him, it's called humanity to actually care for those other than one's self, to put the lives and dignity of others above money, I mean what would it have cost him just to have said, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to lay off some staff members rather than, I'm Effing losing money, so you can all eff off and die for all I care. There is no defence on how Musk has handled his acquisition of Twitter and how he has looked down on and treated the staff of Twitter, he has treated them as though they were a rotten piece of meat that has to be thrown out with no respect for them, in the least. It's not just Twitter though that is effected, the share price in Tesla has lost about 20% since he took over Twitter, which the main investors are blaming it on his take-over and handling of Twitter.

I do agree with this. One, Musk should have been given the full financial facts of Twitter, then again, at one point Musk did try and back out of the deal. But then the Twitter company tried to get Musk to continue with the purchase. Still, Now that Musk owns Twitter, he has full responsibility of the company and staff.

Then again, Twitter may end up losing even more money if Trump is reinstated. But anyway, to me, Musk is way over his head. I think Musk might have thought Twitter was a good purchase at the time, and could do a lot with it. Only to realise, it needs a lot of work.

I personally think Musk should sell it off at a loss and let someone else take charge. Otherwise, I feel Twitter will continue to sink.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 04:17

Does it really matter if twitter flutters away or not? The interwebs was just fine before it was even a thing, it'll be just fine when it's gone. Do we really care what some pseudo-celebrity's opinion is on anything? Or actual celebrities? It's not exactly as if twitter is being used for deep, meaningful, thought provoking ideas. It's an ad platform at its base and I dunno about you, but I could sure do with less of that. And, with ol Elon's ideas of "free speech" being what they are, we're arguably better off with out it anyway. It's not like white nationalists need yet another echo chamber.

Let it burn. All the IT staff worth their salt will find gainful employment elsewhere soon enough.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 07:39

I say it would be a good thing - we have to leave "social" media behind. Twitter would be a good start to put an end to all those "free" platforms which pester the world with ads and ~a lot~ of nonsense.

Chances are good as Musk is openly talking about bankruptcy and his only ideas seem to be a paid legitimation button as well as to cut peoples homeoffice and force them into a 40h week. (those last two points are excellent to motivate people :lol: )
@source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... bankruptcy

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 09:40

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 11. Nov 22, 04:17
Does it really matter if twitter flutters away or not? The interwebs was just fine before it was even a thing, it'll be just fine when it's gone. Do we really care what some pseudo-celebrity's opinion is on anything? Or actual celebrities? It's not exactly as if twitter is being used for deep, meaningful, thought provoking ideas. It's an ad platform at its base and I dunno about you, but I could sure do with less of that. And, with ol Elon's ideas of "free speech" being what they are, we're arguably better off with out it anyway. It's not like white nationalists need yet another echo chamber.

Let it burn. All the IT staff worth their salt will find gainful employment elsewhere soon enough.
I am personally against the idea of Twitter, especailly it's handling of a certain former president, sure his posts were in some way sort of censored, but to me, Twitter should have taken action against him and others who voice the same BS, after all, some people still were able to communicate via Twitter, even though hose people are / were known associates of that former president. Sure he got banned, but I feel the company should have put their foot down sooner.

But generally, I feel this and other social media platforms are a waste of space. Especailly if that might be the only place they get their information from. And there are a few alternatives if you want more open ways of speaking. But they should all go down in flames and should be given up as a failed social experiment that has gone badly wrong.

So if Musk does go bankrupt and takes Twitter with him, I won't shed a tear.
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 10:12

While I'd be happy to see Twitter crash and burn, it performs the role of social media mental asylum.
All those narcissist, nuts and trash celebrities, conviniently in one place to avoid, with special blue checkmark for really hard cases to avoid :)

In grand sheme of things, Elon messing it might not be beneficial.

Still, if both Twitter and Meta having major troubles, we only need to add Tik Tok to the stake and wait for society to heal.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 20:30

Is meta *really* having troubles? it's a very profitable business, yes it's profits have dropped - but there are reasons known behind it. It's not making a loss, but to ensure the price per share ratio remains they need to cut costs and scale back.

In trouble? Or just acting in the best interest of shareholders... who's interest is money. Now. Not in 5-15 years time, nor innovation (hence why the bigguns were calling for it to drastically scale back the entire metaverse investment)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 13:00

Two WWII planes, B-17 and P-63 did collide and crash in Texas during air show yesterday:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/12/us/d ... index.html

:shock: :cry:

Return to “Off Topic English”