Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by felter » Tue, 9. Nov 21, 18:32

clakclak that is one helluva awful advert, looks like some high school failed project that is full of potential copyright claims that could end him up in court.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 9. Nov 21, 21:42

BaronVerde wrote:
Tue, 9. Nov 21, 18:14
A pleasure, @gavrushka. Though not exactly what's known as Classical Antiquity (because new fangled stuff), archeology is one of my favourite sandboxes :-)

---------------

ESA has received the James Webb Space Telescope and assembly has begun.
https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2021/10/28/ ... to-kourou/

After 25 years of planning and development, JWST is set to launch on 18th of December from Kourou ELA-3 in French Guiana.
https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/launch.html

It is a beautiful machine, n'est-ce pas ?

I must admit, I am beginning to feel a bit tense :boron:

8)

Yes, archaeology is one of my favourite things too, a visit to Pompeii and Scara Brae are high in my bucket list. I think if I had my time over again, history would play a big part. :)

As for the launching of the James Webb telescope, all I can say is: " About bloody time! " The launch will certainly have quite a number of people biting their nails...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 9. Nov 21, 22:53

greypanther wrote:
Tue, 9. Nov 21, 21:42
Yes, archaeology is one of my favourite things too, a visit to Pompeii and Scara Brae are high in my bucket list. I think if I had my time over again, history would play a big part. :)
I was an economist in the first part of my life. Economy is a damn false belief, but enabled me to privatize in my 40s. I then actually went to university again, to study prehistory. Back then, I lived in Ludwigsburg north of Stuttgart, Germany, and the University was in Tübingen. Since there's terrible traffic every morning, I drove to uni at 4 o'clock am to avoid the jam, biding time with lots of coffee in the library of the prehistory department, I had the reputation of knowing all about the Neolithic (which is impossible in a lifetime). But after the bachelor term I switched specialization into paleo-anthropolgy and stone age stuff. The master thesis was about stone tool ensembles from excavations in southern Germen rock shelters, spanning about 100 thousand years. I turned thousands of stone tools (and am still alive) and tried to invent a method to 3D-scan and document them. I failed.

Now I am sitting in an overpriced tourist apartment, looking for a plot to build me a new housing. All that remains from my former life is a suitcase. I don't keep stuff, and in the hectic environment of the initial eruption, I drew the wrong hard disk from the server.

Those ice age guys certainly had a more simple life. Stability over 10s of thousands of years has something to it. But then again, an event like Laacher See eruption certainly killed the bystanders. There were no vulcanologists telling them "Go now, and go there" !

Will keep looking for remarkable news to post :-)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 10:13

According to this database data evaluation, Microsoft, Cloudfare and Google are "most spam friendly ISPs":

https://atlasvpn.com/blog/microsoft-clo ... -providers

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 12. Nov 21, 15:02

Kamoʻoalewa is very Moon-like, which may be because it hypothetically could be impact ejecta from the Moon's surface. Alternatives are not yet detected Earth trojans, or a NEO (near Earth object) captured by Earth.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-021-00303-7

China plans a mission to bring back a piece:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01390-5

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 12. Nov 21, 21:52

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 12. Nov 21, 15:02
Kamoʻoalewa is very Moon-like, which may be because it hypothetically could be impact ejecta from the Moon's surface. Alternatives are not yet detected Earth trojans, or a NEO (near Earth object) captured by Earth.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-021-00303-7

China plans a mission to bring back a piece:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01390-5
Fascinating, thanks for the links. :)

It does strike me that many underestimate the Chinese, none seem to have a good grip on their motives, though there are plenty to found in fiction! :)

Incidently, I too thought of going to university in my 40's, but was persuaded by several ( here, ) that the expense could not be justified. That was a mistake, which I am again considering rectifying. :) Money should not be a motivation, either way, to learn or not to learn!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 12. Nov 21, 22:26

That's a cool thing in Germany, Uni costs little (a few hundred per semester). Anyone can matriculate, if the discipline they want to study isn't limited by specific regulations, mostly to prvenet overcrowding. Most aren't, but still only few of advanced age make use of that possibility.

I would very much want to do it a third time, given the time I have at my hands, Was thinking about computer science and specializing in sofware stuff, but my Spanish isn't good enough, yet. Maybe in a year or two, and only if there's distance study, with physical presence only for exams. The pandemic might have some good aspects to it, if you get my drifft 8)

I would definitely say go and do it, and not just as a guest auditor. Sign up for master, against all the doubt, I found it waaay easier to study at 40 than at 20.

Is there a subject you're thinking of ? Astrophysics would need advanced mathemagics ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 12. Nov 21, 23:07

Another reason why Germany is superior to the UK! :D

I would love to do an Astrophysics degree, but doubt my maths ability would be up to the task. I would also consider a Geology degree, or more specifically a Geophysics degree. To be honest though I would probably go down the History route, because it is just so fascinating. As I am now 54, I doubt I am up to serious archaeology, but would still love to give it a go. Not for any gain, but more to set the record straight so to speak, mistakes rectified etc.

To be honest I was a complete arse at 20, far to immature to study seriously, hopefully I have grown up a little... :roll:

I too would need to have a large element of distance learning, considering my situation, which is a good thing as such is available in the UK and maybe within reach... :)

I have also been seriously considering learning Spanish and German...

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 13. Nov 21, 19:33

China has since some time and quite officially populated the lower ranks of the top-500 supercompoters list. But it is rumoured that there are already 2 different exascale systems that would be on top of the list, Sunway and Tianhe-3 if I am not mistaken, who achieved the mark already in march '21. Nothing is official for now, it is speculated that China waits until someone else comes up with their design, just to say "we're better".
What I personally find childish, if you allow me the comment. Good work deserves appreciation, politics not so much.

Source:
https://www.nextplatform.com/2021/10/26 ... e-systems/
cited by for instance:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/tw ... rcomputers
https://www.techradar.com/news/china-ma ... -the-world

Official list as of june 21:
https://www.top500.org/lists/top500/2021/06/highs/

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 10:10

In-orbit demonstration of an iodine electric propulsion system.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04015-y
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 18. Mar 22, 15:36

South korea has a new president.

On the agenda are:

A cut to the minimum wage.

A lift of South Korea's work hour restriction, to allow South Koreans to work up to 120 hours PER WEEK in the future.

And a lift on health regulations so that the poor can legally buy "substandard food".

Seems like the perfect capitalist utopia.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210802000833

https://www.businessinsider.com/koreas- ... eek-2022-3

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... outh-korea
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 10. Apr 22, 20:45

Seems like france is about to get it's own round of idiocracy - never thought that someone like Le Pen will ever come close to this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... presidency

If this horror comes true we just need the Germans voting the AFD into government and we can finally trash that planet for good.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 11. Apr 22, 08:13

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 12:44

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 15:21

I read that, not sure if that is a good or bad thing? However, its very likely that the same guy might try to overturn Trump's ban, and if that happens, Trump will be back on twitter like a shot. Plus Trump own clone isn't doing very well, and we all know that Trump been pining for twitter ever since he got booted from it.

Then again, I don't use twitter, don't see a need for it. Its one of those things that should be axed and be done with it.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 7. Jun 22, 00:53

Here's a good one that I nearly missed, mainly due to the fact it is Norwegian. So it turns out Forbrukerrådet, the Norwegian Consumer Council (I hope I'm getting all of this right) along with 18 other countries have been doing an investigation into none other than loot boxes and their recommendations are pretty serious and could be adopted by the EU while the UK is no longer part of the EU this will still cause ripples even here.

Website with basic guide to lootboxes
The 59-page report.

Basically, they are calling on enforcement for lootboxes or a complete ban of them. Don't want to read it all. Read the conclusion.
Despite being a major industry, the video game sector has largely evaded
regulatory scrutiny. This might be because of the prevailing business models
being technically complex or somewhat novel or because video games are still
considered a niche entertainment market by many authorities. In any case, the
sheer size of the market and the number of affected consumers make it clear
that regulatory investigations and possible interventions should be high on the
agenda for authorities at national level and in the EU.
As the issues surrounding loot boxes are multifaceted and cross-sectoral, it is
crucial that experts from different regulatory authorities cooperate to exchange
information and resources when looking into the video game industry. Relevant
authorities include those responsible for sectors such as gambling, consumer
rights and competition, as well as audio-visual regulators.
Although there have been several initiatives to self-regulate or to increase
transparency in loot box mechanisms, these have proven less than satisfactory.
The combination of deceptive design, randomized rewards, virtual currencies,
and exploitation of cognitive biases is too powerful to enable consumer
education or transparency-increasing measures to ameliorate the harm caused
by these practices.
Based on these cases and a broader overview of the industry, we present
several proposals for industry, regulators, and policymakers:
7. Video game companies must be banned from using deceptive design to
exploit consumers. When consumers engage in video games,
companies must ensure that their decisions are not impacted to the
detriment of the consumer, by the design and operation of game.
8. All In-game purchases should always be denominated in real-world
currency. At the very least, real-world currency values should be
provided alongside virtual currencies, where virtual currencies are used.
9. Protection of minors:
a. Games likely to be accessed by minors must not offer loot
boxes, or other randomized content in exchange for real
money.
b. Games likely to be accessed by minors should not contain “pay-
to-win" mechanisms.
10. More transparency:
Page 58 of 59
a. Researchers and regulators should have access to the
algorithms and datasets that is are involved in the loot boxes to
conduct independent research in the public interest.
b. In cases where algorithmic decision-making is employed to
influence consumer behaviour, the consumer must be explicitly
informed. The disclosure must include information in plain
language about what algorithms are trained to achieve and
which factors are used. In addition, the consumer should have
the option to use the game without algorithmically driven
decision-making that aims to influence consumer behaviour.
11. Better and more enforcement
a. Consumer enforcement authorities must have the necessary
resources and expertise to take enforcement actions, thus,
protecting consumers in digital markets, including against video
game companies.
b. Consumer protection authorities should ensure that existing
and future consumer rights are enforced in the gaming industry
as well.97
12. If other remedies do not alleviate the problems, consider a ban of paid
loot boxes.
Although the video games industry is amongst the largest entertainment
industries, it has often eluded serious regulatory oversight. Therefore, we
call for stronger regulatory action against video game companies that fail to
respect consumer rights and that prey on consumer vulnerabilities
There are a few things in the report that I really like, but I don't think any of the games companies effected by this will like them, especially the part where they say that the algorithms they use should be made available for investigation into how they work and how they manipulate players to make sure they are fair. This report could potentially change everything if the countries who it has been created for take it in and act on it, only time will tell.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 7. Jun 22, 06:50

Lootboxes are already banned in Belgium and the Netherlands, which is why Blizzard have not released their new mobile game Diablo: Immortal in those countries. Scumbags.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 20:30

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 7. Jun 22, 06:50
Lootboxes are already banned in Belgium and the Netherlands, which is why Blizzard have not released their new mobile game Diablo: Immortal in those countries. Scumbags.
This is actually a good thing, as it shows that these countries governments are looking out for their gaming population. That Diablo: Immortal is really bad it has taken egregious over monetization to a whole new level, so much so that even people who have defended these companies in the past saying that government regulation of the business was not required are now saying we need regulation.

I don't know if you all have been following what's going on with Diablo: Immortal and how bad the monetization in it is, it has been calculated that if you wanted to equip your character with the best equipment it will cost you well over $100,000, yes that's right one hundred thousand United States Dollars wasn't a typo. To let you know how some of it goes, to be able to get the items (gems) required for the best gear you have to do dungeons for the drops, but these drops only happen in dungeons that you have paid for in real cash, not just that the drop rate is so low at 0.05% chance of a drop, so it will take you 20 dungeons to get a single gem while you require 100 to do a single max upgrade so that's 2,000 dungeons you have to do just for that part of the upgrade, and you have to pay for each and every dungeon. It gets even worse, once you have paid your thousands of dollars to get those 100 required gems, they also charge you $25 for doing the upgrade. Then there is also the monthly fee to get bonuses that you can't get any other way, the catch with one of those you have to still log in everyday to get the items, miss a day lose the items, but you still pay for them. This is just some of it, there are plenty of other ways the game want you to pay up, seriously stay well clear of the game.

On a side note, a lot of reviewers refused to give the game a review score as they noticed that the game they were reviewing had hiding monetization that was not activated in their review copies, currently the user review score is sitting at 0.5, this means Activision|Blizzard currently have 3 games in the lowest worst ten user reviewed games, nice achievement.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 26. Jun 22, 02:46

So just a continuation on just how crazy expensive Diablo immortal actually is, someone came up with a simulation to show just how much it costs to get a 5 stare gem for your gear as the only way to get them is to pay $25 for the chance of them dropping, no pay then no 5-star gems. You can try the app for yourself, it can be found here. Now some may think that it is exaggerating the chance, but there is a New Zealand streamer called Quinrex who must have too much money as he paid to see how much it would cost to get that first 5-star gem, it cost him $25,165.57 NZD which at the time was $15,870.66 USD and that was just for a single gem you need 6 for your gear and that's just for a 5-star they can go up to 10-stars and which you need around 100 duplicates of 5-star gems to achieve that, so you are looking at potentially hundreds of thousands to get that one maxed out gem. By the way, once he got that gem, he deleted the game. But anyway, go ahead and try out the sim for yourself, I was lucky I got my first one on £5,625 USD to get the 6 it would have cost me $34,425 USD and remember each gem has a different stat so even though you have the 5-star gem, it may not be the one you want or need.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 29. Jun 22, 21:43

Lootboxes buyable by microtransaction should be considered gambling and regulated like gambling.

Every game with microtransaction lootboxes should be automatically PEGI 18 and have specific warning "this game contain gambling".

Return to “Off Topic English”