Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Chips » Wed, 19. Apr 23, 01:45

felter wrote:
Wed, 19. Apr 23, 00:00
Explain how a gun stops another person from killing you, apart from you killing them first, they can't, they have never been able to and never will.
Please create your own thread if you wish to try and start gun discussions. Personally, i have zero interest.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 19. Apr 23, 09:45

And another one of these cases, this time however with a car (instead of the wrong house, not a car used as a weopon). The chain of events here is even more insane than the other two. The situation was allready away from posing an potential threat and then the shooter got out of his car, walked over to another car and started blasting.
ABC12 wrote:[...]Just after midnight, cheerleader Heather Roth said she got out of her friend's car and opened the door to a vehicle she believed to be her own in the H-E-B parking lot.

Roth said there was a man sitting in the passenger seat, so she initially panicked, thinking a stranger was inside her car, and got back into her friend's vehicle.

When she noticed the man approach their vehicle, she said she rolled down the window to apologize, telling him she thought it was her car. Roth said the man threw up his hands, pulled out a gun, and started shooting. ABC13 has verified the testimony with Bastrop County sources.[...]According to officers, Roth suffered a graze wound and was treated and released on the scene, but her teammate, Payton Washington, was shot in the leg and the back. Washington was flown to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

"Payton opens the door, and she starts throwing up blood," Roth said.

In an Instagram live Tuesday evening, a coach said Washington, an incoming athlete for Baylor's Acrobatic and Tumbling team, suffered damage to multiple organs and had her spleen removed. She is expected to undergo additional surgeries throughout the week.[...]
Source; https://abc13.com/woodlands-elite-cheer ... /13150502/
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 19. Apr 23, 11:10

Looks like Fox has managed to settle with Dominion Voting Systems, with a sum of $787.5 million, I think Fox got off a bit too easy. Dominion should have got way more, or still dragged Fox through the court. However, this isn't the end of the matter mind, another company is still suing Fox, Smartmatic who is suing for over 2.7 billion. It would be interesting if they also settle, or go through it to the end.

So Fox troubles are still far from over. They do need to take accountability for spreading the BS that they did. personally I would like to see that crooked empire go down in flames.
=

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 23. Apr 23, 18:11

Yet another piece of the world-goes-mad puzzle: Chinese ambassador denies souvereign status of ex soviet states (theguardian.com)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 23. Apr 23, 23:09

Not really, as the Chinese cannot acknowledge the sovereign state of another country while they are denying that same thing when it comes to Taiwan, in other words, if they were to say those countries had the right to being their own country, then they would have to agree that Taiwan would also have the right to call itself its own country, and they don't want that. It's also probably the main reason China cannot broker a peace deal between Russia and Ukraine, as they have ulterior motives for siding with Russia, meaning any deal would be one-sided in favour of Russia, not just that, as far as I'm aware they still haven't tried to have a conversation with Ukraine let alone a meaningful conversation about a proper peace deal.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 23. Apr 23, 23:43

Yeah, hence the world-goes-mad part. We will see Taiwan getting attacked as some diehart imperialists want a dark age revival tour.

Spoiler
Show

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 00:48

felter wrote:
Sun, 23. Apr 23, 23:09
as far as I'm aware they still haven't tried to have a conversation with Ukraine let alone a meaningful conversation about a proper peace deal.
My understanding is that Ukraine refuses to talk about peace as long as Putin remains in power, or until they regain all their territory including Crimea. As long as Ukraine won't enter negotiations, anyone else coming up with ideas for peace, will fall on deaf ears.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 05:51

matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 19. Apr 23, 11:10
Looks like Fox has managed to settle with Dominion Voting Systems, with a sum of $787.5 million, I think Fox got off a bit too easy. Dominion should have got way more, or still dragged Fox through the court. However, this isn't the end of the matter mind, another company is still suing Fox, Smartmatic who is suing for over 2.7 billion. It would be interesting if they also settle, or go through it to the end.

So Fox troubles are still far from over. They do need to take accountability for spreading the BS that they did. personally I would like to see that crooked empire go down in flames.
that was a welcome turn of events.

pretty fat pillar of propaganda that Fox "news" is, will take some further work tipping it over
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 06:18

Observe wrote:
Mon, 24. Apr 23, 00:48
felter wrote:
Sun, 23. Apr 23, 23:09
as far as I'm aware they still haven't tried to have a conversation with Ukraine let alone a meaningful conversation about a proper peace deal.
My understanding is that Ukraine refuses to talk about peace as long as Putin remains in power, or until they regain all their territory including Crimea. As long as Ukraine won't enter negotiations, anyone else coming up with ideas for peace, will fall on deaf ears.
I wouldn't be at peace with someone holding a gun to my head and telling me my stuff belongs to them either.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 19:51

Looks like Tucker Carlson finally got the boot from Fox. Might not be gone though?

https://tvline.com/2023/04/24/tucker-ca ... t-episode/

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:13

Don Lemon as well:
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/24/medi ... index.html

We might see a bigger trend on cutting down on personalities to cut cost in Media Companies.

We'll probably see an AI generated host rather sooner than later (I recall there was a news station in China, that already experimented with AI generated avatars).

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:25

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 24. Apr 23, 19:51
Looks like Tucker Carlson finally got the boot from Fox. Might not be gone though?

https://tvline.com/2023/04/24/tucker-ca ... t-episode/
Good riddance I say, but yeah, how long until he pops up again? I guess fox will be going under some major restructuring to cut down on costs. But still, there is more coming against fox, so they not out of the woods yet. Trump is probably going to whine about it. But yeah, Tucker Carlson needed to go. Problem is, something tells me that fox might not change their ways too much.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:35

The biggest question is did he jump or was he pushed, with the way it happened I would say he was pushed. One thing of note, this now clears his way for him to become a Republican politician or even becoming a candidate for the Presidency.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:38

@felter Some day in the future humanity really should switch the profession "politician" to skill based :shock:

Spoiler
Show

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 21:45

felter wrote:
Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:35
The biggest question is did he jump or was he pushed, with the way it happened I would say he was pushed. One thing of note, this now clears his way for him to become a Republican politician or even becoming a candidate for the Presidency.
I think pushed, I doubt he left willingly.
=

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 25. Apr 23, 00:44

chew-ie wrote:
Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:38
@felter Some day in the future humanity really should switch the profession "politician" to skill based :shock:
We can only but dream. An IQ test should be a basic requirement for candidacy, and not being able to bury your bad college results by throwing expensive dishonest lawyers at it. Or influencing the general voters for his position via social media. I watched a BBC documentary on how his employees influenced social media by targetting a minority demographic to support him, and it was very convincing. Anyone outside the US (including me) are generally (and genuinely) horrified that a businessman (grown up playground bully) can become a leader of the world, veto-ing such important goals as climate change in favour of his own long term agenda/bank balance.

Covfefe anyone .. Sorry I meant coffee. Shout out to seemingly very gullible US citizens .. Please wake up to being manipulated.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 25. Apr 23, 17:59

matthewfarmery wrote:
Mon, 24. Apr 23, 20:25

Good riddance I say, but yeah, how long until he pops up again? I guess fox will be going under some major restructuring to cut down on costs. But still, there is more coming against fox, so they not out of the woods yet. Trump is probably going to whine about it. But yeah, Tucker Carlson needed to go. Problem is, something tells me that fox might not change their ways too much.
Well, regardless of what he decides to do in future, there are countless grifters (that profit on American political polarization) that are ready to take over.

Anyways, seems Vladimir Solovyov offered* Mr. Carlson a position on Russian TV. Kinda telling...

*Source:
https://www.businessinsider.com/russia- ... ?r=US&IR=T

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 25. Apr 23, 19:57

Warenwolf wrote:
Tue, 25. Apr 23, 17:59
Anyways, seems Vladimir Solovyov offered* Mr. Carlson a position on Russian TV. Kinda telling...
As telling as Merkel recently getting medal for germano-ruso collaboration?
Or former Germany chancellor having a nice cozy job at Gazprom (and still be a member of major german political party)?

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 25. Apr 23, 23:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 25. Apr 23, 19:57
Warenwolf wrote:
Tue, 25. Apr 23, 17:59
As telling as Merkel recently getting medal for germano-ruso collaboration?
Or former Germany chancellor having a nice cozy job at Gazprom (and still be a member of major german political party)?
And you are beating this straw-man because? Was Carlson personal hero of yours or something?

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 25. Apr 23, 23:38

Turns out Faux shareholders are suing Faux News. I'd bet this has more to do with the canning of Klansman Karlson than anything. This lawsuit, if successful, has the potential of being more devastating to any of the defamation lawsuits against them, settled or otherwise. We could be witnessing the end of Faux News.

The gist of the lawsuit alleges the board of directors and officers of the company, including the Murdochs, damaged Faux's branding and reputation by knowingly perpetuating the orange one's big lie for the sake of ratings. I believe the outcome of the lawsuit would basically mean the firing of their board and officers and some financial settlement that's some astronomical figure that Faux could never recover from.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “Off Topic English”