Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 12:53

More than 17,000 people have been killed and tens of thousands injured after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey and Syria on Monday.

Source:
https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live ... index.html

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 12:54

This is still not a done deal, the UK and the US regulators might still block the deal from happening. (EU will probably do what the others do)

As for Activision in general, I feel its more of a shell company. Even after Acti taking over Blizzard, I don't really feel was a good move. Again, just another shell company with all those that made the team great are long since gone. MS could breath new life into that company and they couldd start making decent games again.

Then again, not really bought a acti / blizzard game in a long time. their games need to come onto steam and they should ditch that launcher. And yes, that fool at the top needs to go, without question.
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 16:49

LOL, people thinking Microsoft can save Activision, while they can't save their flagship Halo franchise.

Big corpo good? Especially good like Ubisoft trying to do no less than a dozen Battle Royale for already saturated market, then failing and axing all of them :P

I didn't tought I'd live to such day, but at least EA is not 100% braindead - greenlight some good remasters/remakes, like C&C, Mess Effect and Dead Space.

Hell, I'd kill for more remakes and remasters of stuff from 90s and 2000s...

...but nah, all we gonna get is flood of 50 identical extraction shooters (which is the next big thing to replace battle royale).

The only saving grace is that there are tons of indie and AA studios, so we don't need any of that AAA trash.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 12:44

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 16:49
LOL, people thinking Microsoft can save Activision, while they can't save their flagship Halo franchise.

Big corpo good? Especially good like Ubisoft trying to do no less than a dozen Battle Royale for already saturated market, then failing and axing all of them :P

I didn't tought I'd live to such day, but at least EA is not 100% braindead - greenlight some good remasters/remakes, like C&C, Mess Effect and Dead Space.

Hell, I'd kill for more remakes and remasters of stuff from 90s and 2000s...

...but nah, all we gonna get is flood of 50 identical extraction shooters (which is the next big thing to replace battle royale).

The only saving grace is that there are tons of indie and AA studios, so we don't need any of that AAA trash.
I think to even try and save Activision, it will take a major restructuring of the whole company. Not just fire some of the top execs that are doing more harm then good. Lets not forget about blizzard, but I feel that company also needs a major restructuring. Can MS save Activision in general? probably not, even if MS breaths new life into the company, it might not be enough to actually save it. But anyway, it would be nice to have all of the blizzard games on steam, but WC3 will be an issue, as the later patches will force the 40gig download. (graphic update) At least then there might not be any launcher. But probably more wishful thinking on my part.

Then again, it might be better for the merger not to happen.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 16:56

Do I think the takeover would save Activision, that's a hard question to answer as it would take time for that to happen, but there are two other similar questions that could be asked, would the takeover make things worse, I doubt it and also would it while not fixing all the issues, would it fix some of them, probably would which would be a start.

To me though the issue wasn't so much the actual takeover but rather what is being said against the takeover, for example one reason they keep saying is that the takeover would raise the price of games overall, if you take a step back and look just at one Activision game from just last year called Diablo Immortal the price of that game to max out a character is put at $120,000 how much more expensive is gaming going to get under Microsoft. Looking at Microsoft's record, they are not known for their egregious microtransactions and loot boxes, I will not say they don't have them but compared to the others like Activision they don't come close. Then you also have to look at their past, neither their takeovers of Mojang or Bethesda led to any price rise, if anything things got better as games were added to Gamepass for a monthly fee, possibly saving people money.

Another one that they have been saying is that it would be bad for gamers, once again looking at the past with Bethesda, when they took over they closed down Bethesda launcher added their games to both game pass and steam. Not just that since they took over Bethesda has been patching older games even the likes of Morrowind, a game from 2002 has got some loving. As far as I see it, the only ones that could possibly lose out are Sony and PlayStation and that is only one part of the gaming market and not even the largest portion currently, that's the PC market and that market will be better off with the takeover.

Do I think the takeover is good, while making the world a better place and stopping the war in Ukraine, hell no, but do I think it will make things worse for gamers, definitely not. To be honest, if these same people who are saying things like it will make games more expensive or worse for gamers, if they really cared about these things, why are they not doing anything about Microtransactions, fake game currencies and loot boxes, they have seen the evidence about the damage and harm these things actually do, these are factual and not made up.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 21:10

Another "unkown object" has been shot down over Alaska.

I guess the amount of UFO sightings will decrease dramatically over US in coming years :D

"US shot down Santa Claus" December 2023, probably.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 11. Feb 23, 15:41

That object is proving interesting (right now) as we have no idea what it was or where it came from, about all we do know is that it was cylindrical and wasn't a balloon and was about the size of a small car and that's it.

On other news, the F.B.I. found another classified document in its search of the Mike Pence property. Meanwhile, in Trump land, Trump's new lawyer has seemingly found another classified document in Mar-a-Lago and has handed it in to the F.B.I. Seems like he is an ex DOJ lawyer with clearance to handle classified documents, but to make matters worse it also turns out that this file was digitalized and copied onto a laptop and a thumb drive, but wait it doesn't end there, the laptop and thumb drive were retrieved from outside of Mar-a-Lago, then it goes on as it was in the possession of one of Trump aids who I'm going to guess did not have clearance, but they are supposedly saying they did not know the file marked top secret was a classified file. Happy days for Trump and friends.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 11. Feb 23, 17:23

Trump is certainly in a hot mess. The copied document could very well have been copied many times. The FBI and the special counsel, needs to do another search warrant. And of course begs the question, who else might have had access to the laptop and file? and what else is Trump hiding?
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 01:14

They've shot down a third UFO, this time over Canada, not much is known about it right now apart from it was shot down by a US F22. The UFO freaks will be having a field day with all of this.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 01:18

We really don't get a moment of pause, do we? Covid, conspiracy theorist, yet another Dictator unleashed and now... Ufos? :shock:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 10:43

I am interested in getting to the point where these UFOs publicly become IRDs (Identified Recovered Debris) - with or without a 'Whoops'.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 14:19

I'm curious about the physics here: How can these objects (size of a small car and cylindical, smaller that the first) stay in the air?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 01:47

So the other day there in a Q and A session the US said the thing they had shot down was definitely not a balloon, yesterday/today Chuck Schumer says
The US believes that flying objects shot down over North American airspace on Friday and Saturday were balloons
They need to make their minds up, no wonder the conspiracy theorist don't believe a word they say. They also still haven't officially confirmed if that spy balloon was actually a spy balloon, I thought they had, but it turns out nope they haven't, which has some scratching their heads as to why.

OH, and in case you haven't heard, the US has shot down another one around Lake Huron close to the Canadian border.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 09:14

Episode 3 - Revenge of the baloon

Global Times:
"Local maritime authorities in East China's Shandong Province announced on Sunday that they had spotted an unidentified flying object in waters near the coastal city of Rizhao in the province and were preparing to shoot it down, reminding fishermen to be safe via messages."

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 09:18

They really blow up these balloon stories...

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 19:51

Why have they not been able to capture images of these unidentified aerial phenomenon? I realize the fighter jets are going very fast relative to the slow moving objects, but still. Can't our fighter craft take a snapshot of what they lock on to? Don't we have any missiles with cameras on them that could take close-ups prior to detonation? No doubt I am failing to grasp the true difficulties involved. :gruebel:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 20:01

Flight Control to pilot: 'For pity's sake, don't ever tell anyone that we just wasted a half million dollar missile on an escaped [insert theme *] helium inflatable!'

* Pooh Bear, Donald Trump, whatever takes your fancy.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 13. Feb 23, 22:17

I like to think this is just a marketing campaign for Xenonauts 2 gone horribly wrong :D

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 00:18

Observe wrote:
Mon, 13. Feb 23, 19:51
Why have they not been able to capture images of these unidentified aerial phenomenon? I realize the fighter jets are going very fast relative to the slow moving objects, but still. Can't our fighter craft take a snapshot of what they lock on to? Don't we have any missiles with cameras on them that could take close-ups prior to detonation? No doubt I am failing to grasp the true difficulties involved. :gruebel:
Considering that targeting optics have no problem tracking static targets the size of a car on ground level, I think this is a fair question to ask.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 14. Feb 23, 01:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 13. Feb 23, 20:01
Flight Control to pilot: 'For pity's sake, don't ever tell anyone that we just wasted a half million dollar missile on an escaped [insert theme *] helium inflatable!' ....
Hehehe, exactly my thoughts. Someone has a lot of fun with ballons of various shapes :D

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Return to “Off Topic English”