Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by felter » Wed, 17. May 23, 01:05

This is so good, the insults are so lame but that's what makes them good, but kudos to him.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Wed, 17. May 23, 17:38

Warenwolf wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 10:53
felter wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 00:37
So it's believed they have found the reason for Carlson's sacking, turns out it was a racist text he sent that FOX bosses didn't get to see until the night before their agreement in the defamation lawsuit due to the text message being redacted, makes you wonder what the rest of the redacted text messages he sent say. Anyway, if you haven't seen it:
“It was three against one, at least,” Carlson wrote to the unidentified producer. “Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it.” Soon after, “an alarm went off” in his brain, Carlson added, telling his producer he realized he was “becoming something” he didn’t “want to be.”
If you don't get it, that's 3 white trump supporters jumping a black protester and beating the crap out of him, and Carlson was watching it on a video.
Skeptic. Not that I don't believe him sending such message I just don't believe Fox News would have reacted to it.
This is a guy promoting constantly stuff like Great Replacement conspiracy on his show without anyone on Fox News lifting a finger. That is a variation of a 140 year old conspiracy theory that appeals only to certain type of people....

I found another person promoting such a conspiracy. I am referring to an opinion piece written by Michelle Goldberg in the New York Times published on October 29, 2018 with the headline being, "We Can Replace Them." The article focused mainly on a bygone election. The last sentence of the article however read, "In a week, American voters can do to white nationalists what they fear most. Show them they’re being replaced."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/opin ... -kemp.html

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 19. May 23, 11:55

Mountain_Puncher wrote:
Wed, 17. May 23, 17:38
I found another person promoting such a conspiracy. I am referring to an opinion piece written by Michelle Goldberg in the New York Times published on October 29, 2018 with the headline being, "We Can Replace Them." The article focused mainly on a bygone election. The last sentence of the article however read, "In a week, American voters can do to white nationalists what they fear most. Show them they’re being replaced."
Not how I read that article but whatever.

PS:
Since it is behind the paywall, I had to read the facsimile of it on a nazi forum. Yeah...

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 19. May 23, 13:57

Warenwolf wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 11:55
Mountain_Puncher wrote:
Wed, 17. May 23, 17:38
Not how I read that article but whatever.

PS:
Since it is behind the paywall, I had to read the facsimile of it on a nazi forum. Yeah...
2 ways to avoid that; 1 is the easy (if in Chrome) open the page and as soon as you see the text, hit escape. It stops the js and so you can read it just fine. The second is disable javascript in your browser (or block NYTImes.com) and then open the page. Both ways you can read the article.

Should say, this isn't a 100% way around paywalls whatsoever, just a quick and easy try - and in this case, you can then read the article just fine.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 22. May 23, 00:23

Father killed and two children injured when a grenade exploded they'd found when the family were looking through their grandfather's belongings...

The device exploded when somebody pulled the pin.

Darwinian award nominee...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 27. May 23, 19:46

China finally kicked out democracy in Hongkong: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... to-disband

Asia sure would be a nice place with the awesome landscape and all - but politics make it a hell. :(

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 30. May 23, 23:38

chew-ie wrote:
Sat, 27. May 23, 19:46
Asia sure would be a nice place with the awesome landscape and all - but politics make it a hell. :(
Isn't that true for any other country in this world? :wink:
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 31. May 23, 01:27

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 23:38
chew-ie wrote:
Sat, 27. May 23, 19:46
Isn't that true for any other country in this world? :wink:
Yeah, but we chose our stupid politicians, and it is our own choice to accept them, most of Asia and especially China do not have that luxury, for them, it is forced upon them without a say on whether they want it or not.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 31. May 23, 13:00

I don't see that much of a difference there. Either way, the normal people are screwed while self-proclaimed elites do the screwing. Or do you really still believe it's the politicians running the show?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 23, 14:37

".. do you really still believe it's the politicians running the show?"

Obviously they are, or the UK wouldn't have had the Liz Truss/Kwasi Kwarteng mini-budget fiasco. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 31. May 23, 20:13

In how far did UK politics change in the last year? I see no difference how it was during BoJos time and how it's now. The poor got a bit poorer and the real rich got a good deal richer.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 31. May 23, 22:23

I got lost in Hamsterley Forest today, for just over an hour, and news doesn't get more random than that. To put it in perspective, Hamsterley Forest isn't particularly large, and I was 'following' a walking map.

So, can anyone recommend a good hiker's GPS device? (no phone service in forest)

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 31. May 23, 23:05

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 31. May 23, 22:23
So, can anyone recommend a good hiker's GPS device? (no phone service in forest)
Breadcrumbs perhaps? :idea:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 00:54

Unfortunately, bread crumbs don't work as the birds in the forest eat them, I would say use a yarn of wool by affixing one end to a tree at the start of the walk and unravel it while walking, then you just have to follow back to the start point with the knowledge that the birds won't eat it.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 09:41

You could try stonecrumbs - the more you progress, the lighter you'll feel =)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 09:46

Even if your phone doesn't already have GPS location (separate to phone coverage, and I assume it's a smartphone), it should at least have a compass app that would have had you at least going in the right directions when using a map. Or you could just invest in a small magnetic compass for taking along on walks - much cheaper than a discrete GPS device.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 12:17

Well, I looked on Play Store for a compass app, and ended up downloading the OS maps app and paying for a premium subscription. It has an offline maps facility, and I'm assuming a compass. - Daft thing is, I travelled 30 miles to go for a walk in Hamsterley Forest, but with this app and the 'walker's overlay' I can see a dozen walks from my front door, including a medieval village site just over a mile away that I had no idea existed! The Bentley can stay on the drive, and I'll wear out my walking shoes instead.

But there's plenty of rocks about, Chew-ie, if technology fails me.

Thank you!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 15:54

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 1. Jun 23, 12:17
Well, I looked on Play Store for a compass app, and ended up downloading the OS maps app and paying for a premium subscription. It has an offline maps facility, and I'm assuming a compass. - Daft thing is, I travelled 30 miles to go for a walk in Hamsterley Forest, but with this app and the 'walker's overlay' I can see a dozen walks from my front door, including a medieval village site just over a mile away that I had no idea existed! The Bentley can stay on the drive, and I'll wear out my walking shoes instead.

But there's plenty of rocks about, Chew-ie, if technology fails me.

Thank you!
You can download Googlemaps sections for offline usage, and I think HERE maps also allowed downloading offline usage. After a quick Google, there are indeed plenty of offline maps with walking routes and other as well, to use alongside your Phone's built in GPS). https://www.geckoandfly.com/24490/offli ... s-driving/ -- just be aware I've not used any of them and the link is not indicative of me giving a "yes suitable" on any :D
Just remember to take a battery booster if you're expecting to be out for many hours and repeatedly turning to it :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:06

It seems the OS map app can do just that, Chips, and also links to Google maps for road directions to where the walk is.

I am sure I'll still managed to get lost, however...

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 4. Jun 23, 22:52

Some posturing by the Chinese:
The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said the Chung-Hoon and Canada's Montreal were conducting a "routine" transit of the strait when the Chinese ship cut in front of the American vessel.

The Chinese ship's "closest point of approach was 150 yards and its actions violated the maritime 'Rules of the Road' of safe passage in international waters," the U.S. command said.
Link

It's not as if the Chinese are going to invade Taiwan any time soon (not after they saw what happened in Ukraine and the West's response) so this might be meant for Chinese consumption.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Return to “Off Topic English”