Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chew-ie
x4

Re: Playing other games

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 05:16

Impressive - looks like a prototype munged together by a small team. I guess 99.9% of the money spent has nothing to do with the project and just was booked there.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 16:06

felter wrote:
Thu, 3. Nov 22, 02:10
Have you wondered just how bad facebooks VR Metaverse actually is, then look no further. They've paid $15 Billion for that so far, must be nice to have money.
$15 billion for it. Impressive, about the amount in military aid the US has sent to Ukraine so far. Having tried it briefly on a whim the other day, I think I would rather Zuckerberg had simply written out a $15 billion check to Ukraine instead, it would probably have generated a much larger return on investment.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 3. Nov 22, 19:23

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 3. Nov 22, 16:06
felter wrote:
Thu, 3. Nov 22, 02:10
Have you wondered just how bad facebooks VR Metaverse actually is, then look no further. They've paid $15 Billion for that so far, must be nice to have money.
$15 billion for it. Impressive, about the amount in military aid the US has sent to Ukraine so far. Having tried it briefly on a whim the other day, I think I would rather Zuckerberg had simply written out a $15 billion check to Ukraine instead, it would probably have generated a much larger return on investment.
Unless he went for tax writeoff shenanigans. Bit hard to believe that they burned 15 bn on THAT.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 30. Dec 22, 06:33

New Stalker 2 gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqMt74hO6U

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 08:42

Warenwolf wrote:
Sun, 16. Jan 22, 12:41
Nexus - the Jupiter Incident is an ancient game, these days almost forgotten, but it was one of the best RTT games I played.

It received a update in 2016 from THQ Nordic, making it playable in HD resolutions and Windows 10, so since it costs almost nothing on Steam and my CD has disappeared 10 years ago, I bought it again due to a pang of nostalgia.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6420 ... _Incident/
Also available at GOG.

The game itself is playing relatively well and is still a good game but now playing it after 18 years, I see that game design is somewhat lacking - it is not a true free tactical simulator game but rather solve a puzzle type of game where in many missions you need to do certain things in a exact right time to complete mission. These days I find it bit lazy game design in a tactical "simulator" (and yes, I know that it is sometimes done intentionally this way).
Still, interesting to replay a game and re-evaluate it after being more older and jaded. Unfortunately, as far as I know, Sci-fiction RTT is relatively dead genre these days.

-----------------

Another game I play and recommend (if you like old style business management games like Capitalism), is Gearcity.

This is old school and too complex for most people so it will never become very popular. Basic concept is that you start in year of your choosing (from 1900) with your own car company. The game simulates up to 300 AI competitors. Your task is to create cars (no, you can't drive them) and sell those to the public. This design part, while not so complex as in Automation, is fairly complex process where both engines, chassis and gearboxes need to be researched. Of course, you can just license cars from you competitors and sell them as your own brand (or create another brand which you still own).

The game simulates fuel availability, political and economic crises like wars and great depression, transport cost changes throughout the century so it can be fairly difficult game even on easy difficulty. Don't buy stocks just before great depression....
They tried to get a sequel to Nexus The Jupiter Incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus:_Th ... r_Incident

On September 28, 2012 a second campaign on Kickstarter was launched to fund the development of a sequel named Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken, but ultimately failed to raise the required amount, with only $161,731 of the $650,000 goal

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Pretty interesting game. Seems a bit like Far Cry Primal in some ways except with tech and robots. No pets so far. Need to limit gameplay abilities or the games too easy.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 12:37

burger1 wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 08:42

They tried to get a sequel to Nexus The Jupiter Incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus:_Th ... r_Incident

On September 28, 2012 a second campaign on Kickstarter was launched to fund the development of a sequel named Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken, but ultimately failed to raise the required amount, with only $161,731 of the $650,000 goal

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Pretty interesting game. Seems a bit like Far Cry Primal in some ways except with tech and robots. No pets so far. Need to limit gameplay abilities or the games too easy.
Horizon Zero Dawn is decent game - i liked it although only after they patched it thoroughly - it had many issues on the release.

As to kickstarter for Nexus 2, their marketing in both attempts (yeah there were two of them...) was a not that impressive.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 14:33

Got 7 Days to Die as a present and, although this game is an alpha for 10 years, it's a very versatile building game (also utterly reduced on Steam). So if you fancy building games then check it out (if you do not know it already ;-) ).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 13:30

Picked up Elfen Ring at Christmas and once you get used to dying every five minutes (and doesn't stop progress) to start with it not too bad. Not a fan of the third person view, but that something I'll have to get used to. Tried to avoid hints on the internet and battling through it slowly, still mainly in Limgrave and now finding early "hard" enemies can be taken out casually. Had a couple of boss fights and won a few and lost a lot....
A flower?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 13:35

Yeah, it's a nice game to play on the steam deck as well. :)

Spoiler
Show

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 21:50

Currently playing Fallout 76 after 3 tries. Combat and ai isn't very challenging. The story part is a bit better than fallout 4 in my opinion. The game world is very large. Had to do quite a few tweaks to the games config file. Most people might need to do iPresentInterval=0 and enable vsync via the video card control panel. The games vsync apparently messes stuff up. Turning down shadow distance to low and setting the quality to medium is a performance boost.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 08:31

Reinstalled Battletech but this time with Battletech Extended 3025 Commander´s edition mod in order to continue my 3025 to 3062 campaign. It is not a great game by any yardstick but it is the only game in town if you are into turn based mech combat in Battletech universe.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 18:28

At my grandson's suggestion I gave Destiny 2 a shot :roll:

Not a big fps fan so I'm dinking around with the free to play version. So far it feels like Rift.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 10. Mar 23, 08:49

Woah ... GreedFall 2 is coming this year: https://www.gog.com/game/greedfall_ii_the_dying_world

Spoiler
Show

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 20:56

I thought I'd take a break from X4, as it does make my brain ache, and try something a little different... I've ended up playing the original Icewind Dale, first released 23 years ago, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. - It's tough, and can feel a little clunky, but it does feel almost as good as it did when I first played it. I might give a few of the other linear adventures a try too, and the bonus is it doesn't need a couple of nuclear reactors to feed my graphics card. :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 23:44

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 19. Mar 23, 20:56
I might give a few of the other linear adventures a try too, and the bonus is it doesn't need a couple of nuclear reactors to feed my graphics card. :)
If you are into linear (-ish) adventures, I may advice you to try Banner Saga series. It is on sale right now on steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2379 ... nner_Saga/

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 20. Mar 23, 07:52

I might just give that a try, thank you!

And all I really wish for is for the original Civ. CTP to be rereleased on GOG with multiplayer options enabled afresh. Deceptively simple, but tactically far deeper than any other game in the series.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 5. Apr 23, 15:52

Is anyone playing Astrox Imperium? I've just updated X4 on GOG, and it came up as a recommendation. It looks good, even though it's in early access, but it'd be great to hear from anyone who is actively playing it. - I was a bit confused as it suggests it's a sandbox, but there's also a game end?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 5. Apr 23, 16:13

@ Gavrushka: Yes I'm playing it off and on. It's one of those quite good mostly single-dev games that built upon a similar previous game and is pretty much good value for money (and is still being improved/developed). It's quite relaxing if you want to trade/mine/salvage/fabricate while doing missions to improve your skills, ship and bank balance.

There are combat jobs and some pirates, but you do as much or as little combat as you wish really. There is an exploration element with fixed or random galaxies, but the sectors and stations get a little bit samey after a while. It can be a bit 'Where the hell did I find xxxxx last time?' although you can look things up in the game history if you want.

I don't see it so much as a serious main game, but more as casual play when you want a bit more of a chill out and maybe don't have all that long to play in that session and so don't want to get too deep into something.

All just my opinion, obviously.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 5. Apr 23, 16:29

So basically it's better to stay with X4 and DLCs :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 5. Apr 23, 20:12

Thanks Alan! Added to my wishlist, and I'll pick it up next time it is on offer. Sounds perfect for the right occasion but, as mr.WHO suggested, nothing will quite match the joy of X. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”