What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Sep 22, 17:32

Star Wars Andor will start on Wednesday with 3 episodes - so far all the media coverage and footage suggest it might be good - more dark version of Rogue One.
Plus the cast seem to be good as well (Stellan Skarsgård, Forest Whitaker).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 20. Sep 22, 12:24

Bullet Train (Cinema)

One of the best movies I have watched in a long time. In this action-comedy, Brad Pit plays the role of an unlucky depressed contract killer on a Japanese Shinkansen train. It is a real life Manga adaption. Lots of action and very funny - can recommend 😄

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 08:50

Watching Andor season 1. First two episodes were uninteresting but the third one is good so far. Season 1 is 12 episodes long and the last episode is on Nov 23,2022.

Only murders in the Building on Disney Plus Canada was kind of Ok. It had some good parts while other were kind of flat.

Re-watching Merlin (2008-2012). Has some good episodes in my opinion.

Farscape added free with ads to Roku channel Canada and in the US Roku Channel , Freevee, Pluto tv and Shout Factory.

Dark Matter was added free with ads to the CW in the US region.

Defiance is on The Roku Channel free with ads in the US.

Red Dwarf is free with ads on Crackle.

You can find stuff using the justwatch website set to your region. UK, Canada and US seem to have the most free stuff with Canada being the least.

Babylon 5 reboot still trying to gain traction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/babyl ... r-AA125FAh

the decision to greenlight or cancel the pilot “may be decided end of this month,” and urged fans to let their voices be heard.

Reboot of Quantum Leap (NBC) was quite terrible in my opinion.

Quite a few things coming up. The Winchesters (on The CW Oct 11), Willow (Nov 30), Doom Patrol season 4 (December), National Treasure (Dec 14), Picard season 3 (Feb 2023), Madalorian season 3 (Feb 2023)
Last edited by burger1 on Sat, 24. Sep 22, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:24

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 08:50
Watching Andor season 1. First two episodes were uninteresting but the third one is good so far. Season 1 is 12 episodes long and the last episode is on Nov 23,2022.

Farscape added free with ads to Roku channel Canada and in the US Roku Channel , Freevee, Pluto tv and Shout Factory.

Dark Matter was added free with ads to the CW in the US region.
Haven't started Andor yet, I think I'm going to wait till it's all out, then I'll try it. Just finished the Book of Boba Fett and I thought it was pretty bad. Haven't watched Obi Wan series yet.

I love Farscape, and enjoyed Dark Matter quite a bit.

Both the new Jeffrey Dahmer series and Cyberpunk Edgerunner are on my radar, but I haven't sat down and watched them yet.

I'll probably watch Obi Wan next.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:22

When watching Andor, be aware that first 2 episodes are REALLY slow, which might not be a good thing for many people. The action (and really good one) pick up from Episode 3.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:31

I've just watched the first two episodes of Vampire Academy, a Peacock original, via Sky. - I'm surprised to say it's damned good, with great characters and a decent twist on the overworn YA vampire squee trope.

And I'm struggling to carry on watching House of the Dragon. It's simply feels like a cash grab now, with little in the way of a plot other than the faction development over the succession.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:11

Re House of the Dragon: If you read the book Fire & Blood by George RR Martin on which the series is based, it is just a fictional history prequel of the ill-fated House Targaryen dynasty that appears in Game of Thrones. Hence, almost by definition, the series is a pseudo family history dramatisation with added special effects. That *is* the plot.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

oldspacegamer

Post by oldspacegamer » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:01

I just watched Dark Star, one of my fave scifi movies of all time. If you've not seen it, please watch it!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 00:28

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:11
Re House of the Dragon: If you read the book Fire & Blood by George RR Martin on which the series is based, it is just a fictional history prequel of the ill-fated House Targaryen dynasty that appears in Game of Thrones. Hence, almost by definition, the series is a pseudo family history dramatisation with added special effects. That *is* the plot.
I'd not read the prequel, so I'd presupposed it'd be more of the same, which now I can see it isn't and was never supposed to be.

I might give the book a read, but I've already decided to abandon the series.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 14:59

As my wife keeps telling me I have a high threshold for "rubbish" TV programmes but I seem to have reached my limit with The Rings of Power. After all controversy about the casting I determined to give it a good go and just treat it as fantasy series. Unfortunately, it's a bit like "Discovery" in that I don't give two hoots about the characters. Whether this is down to the acting, the scripts or something else( perhaps even me). Even the special effects are wearing a bit thin (as is the music).
Tried Andor this weekend but had to give up as the sound mix was awful (we are in Wales for the week, so could be the holiday cottage's TV.) Will try again when we get home and a half decent sound system.
A flower?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 15:32

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 14:59
As my wife keeps telling me I have a high threshold for "rubbish" TV programmes but I seem to have reached my limit with The Rings of Power.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - ofc - but I am still surprised about the harshness "rubbish". To me, LotR is an okayish movie trilogy, some people take that as a personal insult but I don't care, the movies haven't aged very well 😋 The Rings of Power is the first LotR thing I actually enjoy watching, waiting for every episode week by week 😄 The controversy I have seen, mostly comes from self-proclaimed "fans" (aka the worst kind of people) who hate black, female and black female characters in their beloved pure-white-men movie franchise 😋

Anyway, I share your opinnions about the scripts sometimes, and some special effects are weirdly mediocre for a series with such a high budget and LotR background but rubbish?? From a man with a high threshold? 😳 Render me surprised. 😀

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 19:31

Very late to the party, i'm watching "Modern Family" as I found it on Disney+ following the £2 trial month.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 27. Sep 22, 04:42

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 14:59
As my wife keeps telling me I have a high threshold for "rubbish" TV programmes but I seem to have reached my limit with The Rings of Power. After all controversy about the casting I determined to give it a good go and just treat it as fantasy series. Unfortunately, it's a bit like "Discovery" in that I don't give two hoots about the characters. Whether this is down to the acting, the scripts or something else( perhaps even me). Even the special effects are wearing a bit thin (as is the music).
Tried Andor this weekend but had to give up as the sound mix was awful (we are in Wales for the week, so could be the holiday cottage's TV.) Will try again when we get home and a half decent sound system.
Sound mix is normal with Disney Plus. Can try night mode on tv, volume/loudness equalization/normalization or mess around with the equalizer (down on the left [bass] then up on the right [voices]).

If your on windows press windows key + x and click on settings. Then system, then sound in the left column, then sound control panel on the very right column. Select your output device and then click on properties. Then enhancements and volume equalization and click apply.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Sep 22, 12:43

Not really movie or TV, but I happened to find the full album of Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds on Youtube and have been listening to it while having this chemo done, and I had totally forgotten just what a bangin' set of music it is. Cheesy as all heck, don't get me wrong, but sometimes cheese is good!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 27. Sep 22, 14:03

I think I still have that on vinyl somewhere. Cheesy, as you say, but a really good vintage cheddar.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 27. Sep 22, 15:24

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 27. Sep 22, 14:03
I think I still have that on vinyl somewhere. Cheesy, as you say, but a really good vintage cheddar.
I do too, nothing to play it on though . My record player bit the dust long time ago. (Or rather the drive belt perished and started to slip, very interesting effect.)
A flower?

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 28. Sep 22, 08:22

One of those strange locked in memories, I was leaving Portsmouth (UK) passing the public golf course (wonder if that has been built over) when I first heard War of Worlds on radio.. Still remember clearly to this day... 40 odd years ago.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 23:14

They are making a tv series based on the old Time Bandits (1981) movie. There's a Willow (1988) tv series releasing on Nov 30, 2022 on Disney Plus.

Time Bandits (1981)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/e2-80 ... r-AA12mcyR

Andor episode 4 was ok. Series will be compressed into 2 seasons vs the originally slated 5 seasons. Probably been mentioned by others. Apparently She Hulk is beating it for views.

Leverage Redemption season 2 releasing Nov 16, 2022. The show has a couple characters from The Librarians.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 12:12

Just realized "Andor" is a Star Wars series, after opening Disney+ after a long time again. 😀
The first episode is so boring I nearly stopped watching but I take MrWho and the others by their word that it is getting better from Episode 3 and up 😀

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 2. Oct 22, 12:42

I highly recommend Everything Everywhere all at Once available in Amazon Prime.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Return to “Off Topic English”