What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05

Finished watching The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - now over to bit different type of fantasy: House of Dragon.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:10

Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05
Finished watching The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - now over to bit different type of fantasy: House of Dragon.
Was it worth it? I got to the third episode and sort of found better things to do with my time, so haven't continued as of yet. If people tell me overall it's really good I'll watch it shortly. Otherwise, may leave it until I'm unemployed. One day.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:44

Chips wrote:
Sun, 30. Oct 22, 13:10
Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 29. Oct 22, 12:05
Was it worth it? I got to the third episode and sort of found better things to do with my time, so haven't continued as of yet. If people tell me overall it's really good I'll watch it shortly. Otherwise, may leave it until I'm unemployed. One day.
Well, whether it is worth it or not gets very subjective so that part is totally depending on you and your life situation and priorities.

I liked The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power despite it getting bad press online in certain circles (the type that thrives on drama). Must watch TV material - it is not... But it is decent fantasy tale. Note that season two will probably arrive sometimes in 2024.

House of Dragon I would rate above the Rings of Power although they are very different shows. It is a political drama in same vein as Game of Thrones were (in early seasons). I liked it a lot so far but note that season two of this will also arrive sometimes in late 2023 or in 2024.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 04:22

Rings of Power is a solid 6.5/10. Not great not terrible. It startet good but there was a lack of passion and felt rushed towards the end.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 31. Oct 22, 19:02

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 31. Oct 22, 04:22
Rings of Power is a solid 6.5/10. Not great not terrible. It startet good but there was a lack of passion and felt rushed towards the end.
It's worse, the more you know the deep Lord of the Rings lore.
I could see casual viewers giving it 6-7/10
I'd give it 4/10 at best, simply because it went too far from the Tolkien and becoming showrunners personal brainlet.

I rate it 0/10, knowing that we could have more seasons of The Expanse for fracture of the costs of this trash.

I'll take Marco Inaros throwing stones at the Inners, over incel Sauron.
I'd rather see rise of Laconia, than rise of Mordor.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 1. Nov 22, 00:49

Tamina wrote:
This is very fair, it was a good show... solid C+/B-... but if it didn't or did come back, I wouldn't much mind either way.

I feel the same way about House of Dragon too... it's not a bad show, but I don't much worry about catching each and every week.

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 31. Oct 22, 19:02
I rate it 0/10, knowing that we could have more seasons of The Expanse for fracture of the costs of this trash.

Yeah, 100% I'd love more Expanse than LOTR... and not just because I prefer Sci-Fi... but because the show was so good. But I'm over the Marco Inaros storyline... I was over it pretty quickly.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 02:25

The Witcher: Blood Origin 4 episode series (down from 6?) coming to Netflix on December 25, 2022 looks interesting.

https://www.engadget.com/the-witcher-bl ... 59438.html

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 22:42

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 31. Oct 22, 19:02
Tamina wrote:
It's worse, the more you know the deep Lord of the Rings lore.
I could see casual viewers giving it 6-7/10
I'd give it 4/10 at best, simply because it went too far from the Tolkien and becoming showrunners personal brainlet.

I'd rather see rise of Laconia, than rise of Mordor.
I quite enjoyed Rings of Power, and I've read Lord of the Rings several times (and slogged through the Silmarillion once), I'd give it a solid 8/10. To each their own.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 10. Nov 22, 06:04

It looks like Netflix has added Triviaverse an interactive trivia game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1hfSstSSC0

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 11. Nov 22, 22:33

Welcome to Wrexham. I mean, I shouldn't... but... it's remarkably watchable :)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 01:25

Both Rings of Power and House of the Dragon, or whatever they're called, were ok imo. A lot of scene setting in both shows. Second seasons will be the proof of the pudding.

Netflix - Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosoties is an 8 part collection of standalone horror/weird tales. I've watched seven so far and five have been great, one has been good and one has been "hm, looks good, doesn't make much sense".
All quite Lovecraftian in one way or another. :boron: :skull: :paranid:

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 02:39

Are they scary?

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 03:02

Watched All Quiet on the Western Front, a good film I watched the subbed version, so I can't comment on the dubbed versions, if you're looking for a good film to watch then I do recommend it, though if you don't like violence and death then it's not for you. It is interesting looking at WW1 from the German perspective for a change. I did wonder if it is just like that for the Russians right now, especially at the end, as the German soldiers just wanted to go home, like a lot of Russians do right now.
Last edited by felter on Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04

AQOTWF: WW1 surely?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04
Yes, it's based on a "classic" novel by Erich Maria Remarque. Worth watching imho although I liked the book more (kind of normal I think).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:47

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04
Yep, you're right, a typo that I didn't notice. A quick edit to change that. :)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 22:14

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 02:39
Are they scary?
Generally creepy. I wouldn't say scary, apart from one in particular. But YMMV, as they say ;)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 22. Nov 22, 07:32

Hulu (US region only) has their annual $1.99 per month for a year deal. It's only available for the with ads plan.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 23:36

So I was looking for something to watch the other day there, and I ended up going with an old one, Person of Interest, I have it on disk, but I had never watched it since it had been on TV and I forgot just how good it actually is, I have been binge-watching it and highly recommend it if you haven't watched it before.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 05:55

Star Wars Andor (Disney+)
The series is completely released now.

The best rythm to watch is this:
3 episodes
3 episodes
4 episodes
2 episodes
as discussed earlier, it should have been 3-episode-arcs but it seems the middle one took one episode longer to my surprise.

It is a good series. Fans will probably like the later episodes, when the story starts to connect to the rest of Star Wars universe.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”