What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Chips » Sun, 27. Nov 22, 21:34

Finished watching Wednesday. Enjoyed it :D I mean that in the sense of "oh, an hour has passed already? I'll watch another..." (as opposed to the sort of engage brain and illuminate the mind/challenge you which it sometimes feels people think "Good TV" means :D ).

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 27. Nov 22, 22:22

Andor is the best Star Wars has ever been on screen in my opinion. Highly recommended even for people who may not be super into Star Wars.
Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 26. Nov 22, 22:06
[...]

And I'm just debating whether to continue with The Peripheral, having watched just the one episode. [...]
I am really not sure if I wanna watch The Peripheral as I am a huge fan of Gibson (hell I even wrote a bachelor's thesis on his first two trilogies). I also never watched The Expanse as I really enjoy the books and don't want a show to cloud my memory.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 29. Nov 22, 14:39

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 27. Nov 22, 22:22
I also never watched The Expanse as I really enjoy the books and don't want a show to cloud my memory.
As someone who read all books (including Novels) and watched TV series I can say you can watch it without fear.
It's the rare case, where even if they changed some things comparing to the books, the majority of these changes are better.

BTW I'm the person who absolutely hate Rings of Power, Halo and Witcher, because they drifted away from books.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 1. Dec 22, 20:28

Pluto tv launched in Canada today. Currently it seems very limited but it's free content.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 17. Dec 22, 20:01

Just watched Avatar: The Way of Water (unfortunately not in 3d but I will if the opportunity arrises). Absolute stunning visuals but too many characters are introduced and not developed further. Lacks of storytelling and focuses too much on family rather that the race(s) relation. Often appears repetitive relative to the original movie (same but in a different scenario). Overall still worth watching but a tad disappointing.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 17. Dec 22, 21:36

- Dumb children got captured by villain
- MC go and rescue them
- Dumb children got captured again

Repeat like 6 times across 3 hour movie.

Amazing peak writing and storytelling :P

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 17. Dec 22, 21:43

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 17. Dec 22, 21:36

- MC go and rescue them

Ouch, that is devastating.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 18. Dec 22, 07:31

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 29. Nov 22, 14:39
clakclak wrote:
Sun, 27. Nov 22, 22:22
I also never watched The Expanse as I really enjoy the books and don't want a show to cloud my memory.
As someone who read all books (including Novels) and watched TV series I can say you can watch it without fear.
It's the rare case, where even if they changed some things comparing to the books, the majority of these changes are better.

BTW I'm the person who absolutely hate Rings of Power, Halo and Witcher, because they drifted away from books.
I'm listening to the audio books, so far up to Abaddon's Gate it's almost word for word.
A flower?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 18. Dec 22, 09:18

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Sun, 18. Dec 22, 07:31
I'm listening to the audio books, so far up to Abaddon's Gate it's almost word for word.
There will be some noticable divergence here.
Captain Ashford character in the books is much more shallow and one-dimensional general a-hole.
That's one example for TV series seal of quality - actors and writing - I like TV series Ashford waaaaaaay better.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sun, 18. Dec 22, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Dec 22, 09:54

Why would audio books be anything other than based on the written books? They don't have to cater for visual dramatisations and character-playing limitations as the TV series/films would wish or have to.

Also there is no need to pay for any rescripting.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 18. Dec 22, 15:27

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 17. Dec 22, 21:36

- MC go and rescue them

To be quite honest I don't think I actually care about the story or writing at all. :D

That has never been what I watched a James Cameron movie for to begin with. All I want to see is some amazing special effects.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 09:01

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 18. Dec 22, 09:54
Why would audio books be anything other than based on the written books? They don't have to cater for visual dramatisations and character-playing limitations as the TV series/films would wish or have to.

Also there is no need to pay for any rescripting.
Compared to the TV series, :wink:
A flower?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 10:22

Ah, that's different then. I would guess in that case that the audio books were a part of the TV series contract and not a publisher contract with the book author.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 13:39

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 18. Dec 22, 15:27
To be quite honest I don't think I actually care about the story or writing at all. :D

That has never been what I watched a James Cameron movie for to begin with. All I want to see is some amazing special effects.
It is over 3 hours though... 🫢

Btw I havent watched the first Avatar.. is this mandatory before watching the second one?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 13:44

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 13:39
clakclak wrote:
Sun, 18. Dec 22, 15:27

It is over 3 hours though... 🫢

Btw I havent watched the first Avatar.. is this mandatory before watching the second one?
I think watching the first may not be a bad idea. Just be aware that these movies look a LOT better in the cinema and in 3D.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 15:54

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 13:39
clakclak wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 13:44
I think watching the first may not be a bad idea. Just be aware that these movies look a LOT better in the cinema and in 3D.
That's rather inaccurate advice, since entire story and characters of Avatar 2 are direct continuity of events from Avatar 1.
Starting to watch it from Avatar 2 would be like starting to watch any SW trillogy from second movie.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:08

@ mr.WHO: Why is pretty much agreeing with what you then said being labelled by you as 'rather inaccurate advice' ? :gruebel:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:26

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:08
@ mr.WHO: Why is pretty much agreeing with what you then said being labelled by you as 'rather inaccurate advice' ? :gruebel:
The comment was that watching Avatar 1 was optional (or is it lost in translation? quote"watching the first may not be a bad idea").

I wrote that there is no point in watching Avatar 2 without Avatar 1.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:43

Yes, it's the odd English understated phrasing where 'may not be a bad idea' actually means 'may be a pretty good idea'. You are both agreeing. :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 19. Dec 22, 20:16

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:26
Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 19. Dec 22, 18:08
The comment was that watching Avatar 1 was optional (or is it lost in translation? quote"watching the first may not be a bad idea").

I wrote that there is no point in watching Avatar 2 without Avatar 1.
With that I meant to convay that watching Avatar 1 first is highly recommanded. :) Like Alan says, the "may not be a bad idea" is just understated phrasing.

Return to “Off Topic English”